ADVERTISEMENT

Match-up Discussion

Stonewall D

Graduate Assistant
Dec 18, 2008
At home
Compared to Nova, Richmond seems to match up pretty well.

Nova: Scoring Offense: 8th in FCS at 41.8 points per game.
Richmond: Scoring Offense: 18th in FCS at 36.3 points per game.

Nova: Scoring Defense: 30th in FCS at 21.4 points allowed per game.
Richmond: Scoring Offense: 36th in FCS at 22.3 points allowed per game.

Total Yards allowed on Defense:
Richmond: 21st in FCS 323 yards allowed
Nova: 52th in FCS with 370 yards allowed

CAA Team Rankings

It seems that Nova is more vulnerable to an effective passing game than UR.
UR is ranked 26th in FCS with a pass defense efficiency of 112
NOVA is ranked 53rd, at 123.

If Rocco has a good, solid game, our receivers will probably be able to score on them. This plays to our relative strength.

how about a comparison of schedules, the teams that the above stats were earned against. has one team played an easier schedule or more difficult schedule or about even?

UR has a Seth Fisher. Villanova does not have a Seth Fisher. I think that's the determinative statistic.

Apparently the nose tackle is playing. Must've been a ruse.

I agree with the person that said the special teams are key. Talley has always been a master of trick plays and our special teams haven't been overly special for many years.

Put Omar Howard on Robertson beginning at noon Saturday until 3:05pm.Robertson should smell Omar's after shave on every Nova offensive play.

Their guy, Robertson, is the #1 ranked player in FCS in points he is responsible for. We are going to have our hands full containing this guy. Robertson also has 25 passing TD's #1 in the conference.

Monangai is a beast. Villanova is the #1 rushing team in the conference and #8 in FCS, with 246 rushing yards per game.

Richmond, on the other hand, is third in the conference and #57 in FCS with 170 yards per game.

I would expect Nova to win the time of possession battle.

However, we have 3 of the top 10 receivers in the league- Diggs, Brown and Ponder, as well as a developing and healthy QB in Rocco. We are #1 in the conference in passing offense and #5 in the country, with 321 yards per game. Villanova averages 247 yards per game and is #4 in the CAA and #31 in FCS.

If it rains, we could be in for a long day.

Direct Comparison

Villanova lost to Syracuse by one point in the season opener. Our only common opponents so far are Rhode Island and Morgan State. They beat URI 44-21, which we defeated 37-0. I hate to say this, but I think our defense is better than theirs.

NOVA's schedule

Originally posted by Stonewall D:

If it rains, we could be in for a long day.
Calling for highs in the upper 40s, half inch of rain, 20 mph winds. Couple this with the early start time, this ought to be a fun tailgate Saturday morning.

Don't be misled by their URI score. With 13 minutes to go it was 44-0 Nova, and Robertson had long since been out of the game. I was even more impressed with him this year than in the past. He has become a much better passer, and is the best decision making QB I've seen since Lang Campbell was at W&M. His strength is a major asset, and when you realize he's been playing with a cast on his left wrist and part of his hand all year his record becomes even more impressive. The key to beating them is to keep the ball away from them. Tribe was able to do that but two red zone fumbles were the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT