ADVERTISEMENT

Malcolm Dread - 2021 Commit

Was difficult to find much info on this guy but great to see this. Not the best offers out there to him but wondering if anybody has watched any tape or seen stats on this kid. Also any idea if he'll be a walk-on vs. scholarship?

A 2021 committing at this point and with multiple offers ain’t going to be a walk-on.

A 2021 committing at this point and with multiple offers ain’t going to be a walk-on.

With his offers hope this is one of Mooney's diamonds in the rough. But also maybe a guy that would have picked up big offers they thought during his senior year?

Yeah, not blown away by his offer list. At least he had a couple A-10/AAC offers, but we’re definitely his best one.

Reactions: SpiderK and plydogg
The one highlight tape I was able to find looked good, and he plays for a very good high school program. I’m optimistic

Cedric Lindsay was also out of Gonzaga College HS,DC.Lucky for us he chose UR.The WCAC(DeMatha,Gonzaga,St John’s,Good Counsel...) is prime for sure.

https://richmondspiders.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/cedrick-lindsay/1778

https://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/basketball/1/state/washington,-dc.htm

https://www.wcacsports.com/sports/mbkb/index

Last edited:
He has another year to physically grow and play with good players. We will know more early next year.

Reactions: plydogg
I like seeing that he was behind three guys who are headed off to P6 programs in the fall...Williams to Michigan, Harris to Butler, and Stute to Vandy.

He's played with and against strong competition, and good chance he may have been under-recruited since it wasn't his time to shine yet.

Cedric Lindsay was also out of Gonzaga College HS,DC.Lucky for us he chose UR.The WCAC(DeMatha,Gonzaga,St John’s,Good Counsel...) is prime for sure.

https://richmondspiders.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/cedrick-lindsay/1778

https://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/basketball/1/state/washington,-dc.htm

https://www.wcacsports.com/sports/mbkb/index
Obviously not the same type of player, but I will take someone of CL's talent level, regardless of position any day of the week. Most underappreciated Spider during the Mooney era.

Judge_Dredd_promo_poster.jpg

I’m a bit surprised that this was the first get in such a big class, I figured it might be someone with more competitive offers. As mentioned, maybe he’s set to blow up and we’re getting a gem.

I hope he wears #13 and that they play Darth Vader’s them song when he comes in to play.

I liked his highlight film, big upside in my opinion. Welcome aboard

Reactions: VT4700
Malcolm Dread- who doesn’t love that name? I hope we don’t get sued by Marvel. LOL
I hope he embraces his name, because you can be sure that h.s. kids have had fun with him.

Reactions: Spiderstew1962
Also a big Penn State fan; his big brother Myles is a player, FWIW. He has a college ready body and I like his mid range game (from tapes and coaches comments). The fact that he had only 2 or possibly 3 other commitments from lesser programs and lack of big stats thus far in high school (I understand he was playing a bunch of blue chippers, but 5 points in a game ain't much), harkens me back to so many of Mooney's recruiting misses.

Hopefully, he blows up this year, but until I see Mooney's under recruited kids in fact do that, I will live by the old saying, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

Reactions: Zeeter
Just watched the Hudl video. Like the charges he takes and effort on defense. He looks like a player that just contributes to winning, smart, tough, makes winning plays. High post game reminds me of Greg Robbins a little bit. I also see a little bit of Malcolm Brogdon in his game. His athleticism doesn't jump off the page in the highlights, but looks to be pretty strong and uses that to do what he needs to on the court. I kind of feel focus now should be a point guard/combo guard and a big forward.

I kind of feel focus now should be a point guard/combo guard and a big forward.
as long as you don't call big forward a 4. :)

I like the highlights. looks to have "effortless" lateral quickness defensively, like it's easy. he's very smooth and in control. seems a really high basketball IQ kind of guy.

Its the first guy in a big class - so lets see what else comes in as a whole. This guy might be the perfect compliment to other guys or might be a diamond in the rough - who knows. I like that he comes from a winning program and has played against and with tough competition, so the move to the A10 should be smoother transition for him.

Also a big Penn State fan; his big brother Myles is a player, FWIW. He has a college ready body and I like his mid range game (from tapes and coaches comments). The fact that he had only 2 or possibly 3 other commitments from lesser programs and lack of big stats thus far in high school (I understand he was playing a bunch of blue chippers, but 5 points in a game ain't much), harkens me back to so many of Mooney's recruiting misses.

Hopefully, he blows up this year, but until I see Mooney's under recruited kids in fact do that, I will live by the old saying, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

Being a fan of both UR and Penn State is doubly rough with the tournament getting canceled last season. Neither team has made it since 2011, and I think both were poised to have decent runs,

I’m a bit surprised that this was the first get in such a big class, I figured it might be someone with more competitive offers. As mentioned, maybe he’s set to blow up and we’re getting a gem.

I hope he wears #13 and that they play Darth Vader’s them song when he comes in to play.

Yeah a little surprising. Part of that is being a new name. But part of it was expectation of Mooney taking advantage of good last season and good press for next season plus other things like practice facility. And maybe kicking it off w bigger name.

No knock on Mo Dread - I think he goes by Mo - I love Gonzaga, I played against them in high school hoops, and I remember watching them & Mark Tillmon in the 80s there before he went onto Gtown. But how good is Dematha and Paul VI to finish above Gonzaga with guys going to Richmond, Michigan, Butler and Vandy? Stats will typically be lower at schools like that w so much balance, but his seem lower than you'd like regardless. So right now it's more pedigree than production. But he missed out on a big AAU summer and may be the lead dog his senior year so I'll give us the benefit of the doubt.

From the tape his game most reminds me of Nick Sherod.

Well, in Noah's linked article he does say: "with moves reminiscent of Nick Sherod but at an even higher level." And heck Nick was only the leading scorer in VA h.s. history, and one of the top 3 point shooters in the NCAA last season. So there is that.

Yeah Nick was such a high volume shooter in high school I was a little wary to make comparison. So I think Dread's senior year will be the best indicator but from what there is to go by you can see it.

What's the combined streak for Chambers/Mooney?
A long f*cking time. As a fan of both, if I could combine Chambers fire and charisma with Mooney's system and execution, you would have one hell of a great coach.

In my mind, both teams were "in" the NCAA tournament this year, and it was a great season to be a fan of each. Penn State to me "peaked" a bit early, but they were a complete team that when clicking could have beaten anyone. I think we would have taken down our first round opponent. It would have been a fun tournament for sure.

I'm bullish on Malcolm. Give me a kid who's been playing varsity in the best high school league in the country since his freshman year any time. I think we grabbed him just in time, and we'll look back and be thankful that Covid cancelled AAU summer circuit. I think the offer list is just a snapshot in a very strange time, and would have been much different in July 2020 if there was a summer circuit this year.

I think we grabbed him just in time, and we'll look back and be thankful that Covid cancelled AAU summer circuit. I think the offer list is just a snapshot in a very strange time, and would have been much different in July 2020 if there was a summer circuit this year.
all speculation, but that's what we're all hoping for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT