ADVERTISEMENT

M&W Tennis

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Interesting...Barrick will now be director of tennis in charge of both programs, with Jacob and Emily Dunbar as associate head coaches for both programs. Looks like Wesselink will be sticking around as a volunteer assistant coach for the women, while former Randolph Macon player Grant Sarver has been brought on as an assistant for the men.

Reactions: urfan1
More than a few schools have been doing this format with having a director of tennis. I don't think it will do much for the men's program until they get more scholarships, but I think this is a step in the right direction for the women's team. I like Barrick as a coach. Though I could of sworn Grant was coaching for the men's team this past season as an assistant?

You're right...Sarver, was this past year (and maybe the previous year too?), and looks like he's gone. I don't follow tennis closely enough.

They've updated the site since I first posted to remove him from the 2022–23 staff listing.

So let me get this straight-We have a Coach that coaches the coaches.Is that how it works.Maybe CM will eventually become Director of UR basketball for Mens and Womens.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
The 4-seed Spider women have advanced to the semis of the A-10 tournament in Orlando, knocking off 13-seed St. Joe's 4–0 yesterday and 5-seed GW 4–1 this morning.

Crazy one just ended...top-seed VCU went up 3–0 on 9-seed SLU with the doubles point and a pair of quick straight-set singles matches, but SLU battled back to win three singles matches to tie it up. The deciding match finished with at least three straight game breaks to push it to 6–6 and a tiebreaker where VCU ultimately got the win, so it will be Spiders vs. Rams tomorrow for a spot in the finals.

On the men's side, the 2-seed Spiders fought through a rain delay yesterday to take out 10-seed Fordham 4–0. They've got 6-seed Dayton in the semis later this afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Pretty wild on the women's side. Hard to pull upsets in team tennis, but hoping the women are up for the challenge. As for the men's side, uphill battle they make it to the finals. VCU's tennis team is the real deal. Really wish we fully funded the scholarships on the men's side. Believe the only team that doesn't in the A10.

Ladies put up a good fight against VCU, but fell 4–3. Doubles point was the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT