ADVERTISEMENT

Lines Week 14 /Schedule/Coaches Teleconferences

Well, both Furman and Spiders underdogs to seeded teams , but few really know. FCS is not in the college football spotlight so hard to know relative strengths of the "power" conferences.

Football is football. Line strength makes everything else happen most times....in the playoffs it is huge bc opponents both have talented QBs, RBs, and WRs. Do you control the line or are you controlled?

Don't know what Sacramento State has in this regard, but to be 11-0 in a power conference and a # 2 seed, suspect it is stout. Like our O and D lines. Do not believe either can be dominated, but this is why we play the games. Would love to play Furman December 10th at the Brickhouse. Early Christmas.

Bring it on. Go Spiders!

Lines Week 14
———————-

New Hampshire. Holy Cross -14.0

Furman. Incarnate Word -4.0

UD SDSU -14.5

Weber Montana State -1.0

UR. Sac State -14.0 (56.5 O/U,implied score 35-21)

SE La. Samford. -7.0

Montana. NDSU. -6.5

Last edited:
Lines Week 14
———————-

New Hampshire. Holy Cross -14.0

Furman. Incarnate Word -4.0

UD SDSU -14.5

Weber Montana State -1.0

UR. Sac State -14.0

SE La. Samford. N/A

Montana. NDSU. -6.5
That looks a little more like i expected for our game. If i was still into this sort of thing, i think i'd like us anwhere higher than +10.5.

14 points just seems like a lot in the playoffs. Bulletin board material for sure. Still think if we score early they could get rattled. With some turnover issues…it could snowball. We’ve shown we can take some punches and not panic.

Richmond (9-3, 6-2 CAA) at No. 2 seed Sacramento State (11-0, 8-0 Big Sky)

Kickoff – 5 p.m. at Hornet Stadium in Sacramento, California

Series – First meeting

Coaches – Richmond: Russ Huesman (33-28, sixth season; 92-65 overall); Sacramento State: Troy Taylor (29-7, third season)

3 Players to Watch – Richmond: QB Reece Udinski (357 of 476, 3,398 yards, 26 TDs, 4 INTs), Jakob Herres (70 receptions, 900 yards, 6 TDs), LB Tristan Wheeler (105 tackles, 11 TFL, 2 INTs); Sacramento State: RB Cam Skattebo (169 carries, 1,251 yards, 5 TDs; 24 receptions, 281 yards, 3 TDs), TE Marshel Martin (43 receptions, 587 yards, 8 TDs, NB Marte Mapu (64 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 4 PBU)

Notable – The Spiders will make the 2,782-mile cross-country trip for their program’s first game in California. In the first round against Davidson, Udinski was 28 of 31 to set an FCS single-game playoff record for completion percentage (90.3) with at least 15 attempts. Herres, who played with Udinski at VMI in the 2018-22 seasons, joins Jasiah Williams (80), Leroy Henley (66) and Nick DeGennaro (50) in the FCS’ only quartet of four 50-catch receivers. The Spiders’ big quarter is often the second, where they’ve outscored opponents 137-58. Sac State, one of three FCS unbeaten teams along with Holy Cross and Jackson State, ranks third in the FCS with a +217 scoring margin. The QB rotation of Jake Dunniway (1,872 passing yards, 16 TDs) and Asher O’Hara (797 rushing yards, 19 TDs) has been lethal. The Hornets are 0-2 in the FCS playoffs, losing at home in the second round in 2019 and last year.

Up Next – The winner will play either Furman or No. 7 seed UIW in a national quarterfinal on Dec. 9 or 10.

Prediction – Sacramento State 31, Richmond 21

Last edited:
2022 FCS Playoffs: Second-Round Predictions - HERO Sports

Richmond at #2 Sacramento State

Not only does Sac State have the mental barrier to break through with an 0-2 playoff record as a Top 4 seed, but the Hornets are facing a Richmond squad that can present legit problems. It all leads to a fascinating game that goes beyond on-field storylines.

Sac State has truly had one of the best program turnarounds in recent memory under Troy Taylor. But it will always lack the full respect until the Hornets prove their worth on a national stage. This team is built better for a deep run. Its defense is playing well, and the offense has a more physical attack. RB Cameron Skattebo may be the toughest guy to bring down in the FCS.

They go against a solid Richmond defense that is No. 23 in rushing yards allowed per game (120.5). The Richmond offense led by Reece Udinski is No. 12 in the FCS in passing yards per game (288.1). Udinski has thrown for 3,398 yards, 26 TDs, and four interceptions. The best way to attack Sac State’s defense is through the air. Sac State’s rushing defense ranks No. 29 (126.7 YPG), and its passing defense ranks No. 93 (246.0 YPG).

I believe this will be a close game. Richmond has the players on both sides of the ball to match Sac State. And the longer this game is close, it’ll be interesting to see how tight Sac State plays. But the Hornets have shown the ability to pull off nail-biters multiple times this season. They make the big plays when needed most, and that’s a key part of the recipe for playoff success.

Prediction: Sac State 31-27

How about constant rain means running not passing.On a good day,running is the primary offensive weapon for them-not for us.
Then load the box stop the run force them to pass and hopefully get some help from the rain. Udinski will still get his.

Reactions: ncspiderfan
Rain isn’t going to stop us from throwing five-yard sideline outs like we do 20+ times a game. I like our odds. Let them run it all day long, that will keep the score closer. They usually have a couple big play passes in every game. Take those away and this is anyone’s game.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
Rain isn’t going to stop us from throwing five-yard sideline outs like we do 20+ times a game. I like our odds. Let them run it all day long, that will keep the score closer. They usually have a couple big play passes in every game. Take those away and this is anyone’s game.
Hopefully we learned from the W/M game. Had we prevented the deep deep passes, it would have been our game. I think we do better tomorrow

Surprised to see Indians -10 against GW. Even in the rain I feel like that’s a gimme bet, especially considering the Indians run game.

UNH 5 HC 7 at the half. Can’t imagine anyone had that on their board. The game is there for the taking if UNH can move the ball.

8 games yesterday, 8 home teams coming off a Bye won.

Had we beaten the Tribe two weeks ago, we'd still be playing! Gotta take care of our business when the opportunity presents in the future.

8 games yesterday, 8 home teams coming off a Bye won.

Had we beaten the Tribe two weeks ago, we'd still be playing! Gotta take care of our business when the opportunity presents in the future.
The playoff system is stacked against teams on the road.

Reactions: urfan1
Yes that game will be remembered as the crash of our playoff run. Am going to miss toasting those Mickie's next week at that would be quarterfinals game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT