ADVERTISEMENT

Lines Week 13 /Coaches Teleconferences

First round | Nov. 26​

Saint Francis (PA) at Delaware | 2 p.m. | ESPN +

Winner: Delaware

Saint Francis (PA) makes the playoffs after going undefeated in the NEC play for its second conference title ever. Meanwhile, Delaware enters the playoffs after losing three of its last four games.

At one point in the season, Delaware was a top-10 team in the country. Then came injuries to players like quarterback Nolan Henderson. I think even if Henderson has to battle through injuries, the Blue Hens are the better all-around team and get the win.

PLAYOFFS: See the complete 2022 FCS Championship field

Fordham at New Hampshire | 2 p.m. | ESPN+

Winner: Fordham

Co-CAA champion New Hampshire hosts Fordham in the first round. New Hampshire's run to the CAA title was impressive, but Fordham's explosive offense is more impressive. Yet, I think this game will end with over 70 points combined between the two teams, thanks to Fordham's leaky defense.

In a shootout, I trust Fordham quarterback and likely Walter Payton Award finalist Tim DeMorat to get the job done.

Gardner-Webb at Eastern Kentucky | 5 p.m. | ESPN+

Winner: Eastern Kentucky

Gardner-Webb had to close the season by playing playoff-level football, defeating North Carolina A&T in a winner-take-all Big South game. Eastern Kentucky won the ASUN-WAC shared bid to make the playoffs.

I have Eastern Kentucky winning its first-round game because of Parker McKinney, a top-10 FCS quarterback. I expect at least four touchdowns from the signal-caller in a win.

North Dakota at Weber State | 4 p.m. | ESPN+

Winner: Weber State

Weber State's only losses came to the second and third-seeded teams in the playoffs. North Dakota has also played a tough schedule, but Weber State has looked like a top-10 team all season. I see Weber State prevailing in what could be a low-scoring, defensive battle.

BRACKET: See the complete 2022 FCS playoff bracket

Southeast Missouri State at Montana | 10 p.m. | ESPN2

Winner: Montana

The first-round nightcap may be the biggest upset of the first round. Or it may not be.

Montana just snuck into the playoffs at 7-4, while Southeast Missouri State needed a coin flip to get in.

BUT

Both Southeast Missouri State and Montana could be missing their starting quarterbacks (Paxton DeLaurent and Lucas Johnson, respectively) in this playoff matchup. If one team gets their starter back and the other doesn't, I'd bank on that team to win.

For these predictions, I'm operating as if both quarterbacks won't play. In that case, I'll give the advantage to Montana, playing at home with a strong defense.

Idaho at Southeastern Louisiana | 7 p.m. | ESPN+

Winner: Idaho

Idaho has impressed on its way to 7-4. Southeastern Louisiana won the Southland auto-bid with an 8-3 record. I have Idaho getting the win here, led by a freshman quarterback.

If Gevani McCoy returns, I don't think this one will be close, thanks to the McCoy-to-Hatten connection. If McCoy doesn't play, I like what I saw from backup Jack Layne last week to feel confident in the Vandals.

Elon at Furman | 12 p.m. | ESPN+

Winner: Elon

I think this will be the best game of the first round. Elon and Furman were both guaranteed at-large teams heading into the final week of the season. It's a true toss-up game, but I give the advantage to Elon because of its talented backfield. Quarterback Matthew McKay and running back Jalen Hampton will carry the Phoenix to victory.

Davidson at Richmond | 2 p.m. | ESPN+

Winner: Richmond

Richmond was a game away from winning the CAA title. Davidson won its Pioneer Football League auto-bid but didn't win the conference championship. Richmond has been more battle-tested in 2022. Richmond's experience against tough opponents will help it get a first-round win.

Lines 11/26:
—————.

Elon Furman -5.5

Davidson UR -24.0 (57.0)

SFU. UDel -9.0

Fordham UNH. PK

UND Weber St -13.0

GWebb. EKU. -3.0

Idaho SELa. +3.0

SEMoSt Montana -10.0

• Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider
Most of the discussion of Davidson has centered on the challenge of defending their triple option offense...

Coach Huesman pointed out during his remarks it also puts pressure on the UR offense...the triple option rushing game typically cuts down on the number of offensive possessions, making scoring when you get the ball even more important than usual...

that means the Spiders need TDs in the red zone not FGs...

Let's win a Playoff game!

Go Spiders!

Series records in FCS first-round playoff games:

Furman leads Elon 12-8
Delaware leads Saint Francis 1-0
New Hamp leads Fordham 1-0
Richmond leads Davidson 19-9-1
Weber St leads N Dakota 4-1
First meetings: Gardner-Webb/E Kentucky; Idaho/SE Louisiana; and SE Missouri/Montana

Davidson at Richmond

In its last two playoff appearances, Davidson has lost 49-14 to Jacksonville State in the spring and 48-21 to Kennesaw last fall. This year’s option attack does lead the FCS in rushing yards per game (350.5). But Richmond prides itself on a tough defense, allowing 20.3 PPG and 120.2 rushing yards a game, which is the 24th-best in the FCS. Tristan Wheeler is a veteran stud at LB and has 97 tackles and nine TFLs in 2022.

Richmond should be too much for non-scholarship Davidson. The unique offense maybe keeps it close for 1.5 quarters, but the Spiders will adjust on defense and will be too athletic on the edge offensively to make this a close game.

Prediction: Richmond 38-14

Reactions: urfan1

Davidson (8-3, 6-2 Pioneer) at Richmond (8-3, 6-2 CAA)

Kickoff – 2 p.m. at E. Claiborne Robins Stadium in Richmond, Virginia (ESPN+)

Series – Richmond leads 19-9-1 (last meeting: Richmond won 42-0 at Davidson on Sept. 15, 1973)

Coaches – Davidson: Scott Abell (34-18, fifth season; 73-42 overall); Richmond: Russ Huesman (32-28, sixth season; 91-65 overall)

3 Players to Watch – Davidson: RB Dylan Sparks (792 rushing yards, 5 TDs), FB Coy Williams (779 rushing yards, 11 TDs), DE Jonathan Hammond (36 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks); Richmond: QB Reece Udinski (329 of 445, 3,152 yards, 24 TDs, 4 INTs), WR Jakob Herres (65 receptions, 850 yards, 5 TDs), LB Tristan Wheeler (97 tackles, 9 TFL, 2 INTs)

Notable – Davidson, from the non-scholarship PFL, has lost in each of the past two playoffs – their first appearances – by a combined 97-35. The Wildcats, facing Richmond for the first time in 49 years, leads the FCS in rushing yards per game (350.5), with QB Jayden Waddell at the controls. They seek to contain a Udinski-led passing attack that boasts the only FCS trio to have 60+ receptions (Jasiah Williams, 75; Herres, 65; and Leroy Henley, 61). The Spiders have allowed only 277.4 yards and 15.3 points per game in wins, but it’s 472.7 and 33.7, respectively, in losses.

Up Next – The winner will advance to play at No. 2 seed Sacramento State (11-0) in the second round (5 p.m. ET on Dec. 3)

Prediction – Richmond 42, Davidson 21

First Round FCS Playoffs & Bayou Classic Preview & Predictions

Davidson @ Richmond (1pm/CT; ESPN+)
Davidson will make their 3rd consecutive FCS Playoffs appearance, but will look to win their first postseason game in school history. The Wildcats enter this matchup leading the country in rushing offense as five different players have topped the 300-yard mark for the season. Running backs Dylan Sparks (785 Rushing Yards; 5 TDs) and Coy Williams (779 Rushing Yards; 11 TDs) have been the leaders of the Wildcats rushing attack. The x-factor will be the secondary slowing down one of the most efficient passing attacks in the country and Kaedon Jenkins (12 Pass Breakups) will be one of the key players to watch in the secondary.

Richmond finds themselves in the FCS Playoffs for the first time since 2016 when the Spiders made a run to the quarterfinals. Reece Udinski (3152 Passing Yards; 24 TDs) has been one of the most efficient QBs in the country, but will face a secondary that has only allowed three teams to surpass 200 yards passing this season. Linebackers Tristan Wheeler (97 Total Tackles; 9 TFLs) and Phillip O’Connor (80 Total Tackles; 6.5 TFLs) have been the leaders of the #1 rushing defense in the CAA, which will be the x-factor against the powerful rushing attack for the Wildcats.

Prediction: Richmond (33-14)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT