ADVERTISEMENT

KURT SCHMITZ ARTICLE

WebSpinner

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 7, 2003
just perusing my hard copy of SI and Lauren Shute, who, i believe posted her once or twice, now a grad and former journalist on the Collegian, writes an informative piece on Kurt, a fellow student who confided in her concerning his head injuries. not sure if Lauren submitted this piece independently or works for SI but an eye-opening job, especially on the fact that the guys will try and play no matter the deal. again, condolences to the entire Schmitz family and all his teammates and friends.

This post was edited on 12/19 11:47 PM by WebSpinner

A very good piece. I think the takeaway for me is that the trainers, coaches and staff members have to be particularly aware of what each player is being subjected to and be proactive about sitting them when necessary, because every player will think "This won't happen to me.... I can keep playing through this."

I bet even players on our team who were friends with Kurt probably will think his was a very rare case and the same thing could never happen to them. It's just human nature.

Eight, know that the nfl is using baselines with their players which allow them to determine if the player is having mental probs or not and until the player is back to his baseline, he cannot play. not sure what colleges are doing but am sure with all the awareness, are trying to keep the guys off the field. have has a concussion and was not aware that i had though was feeling a tad weird so can see where a "warrior" would want to go back in, a very tough deal if not utilizing baselines.

no, a different article and was unable to post it here from SI.com, sorry.

This post was edited on 12/20 12:07 PM by WebSpinner

This post was edited on 12/20 12:12 PM by WebSpinner

This post was edited on 12/20 12:14 PM by WebSpinner

Mail just came, so I have my copy and see what you mean.

Lauren writes for SI Kids, and I assume was invited to contribute to the parent magazine due to her perspective on this topic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT