ADVERTISEMENT

John Marshall - Ranked #1 - Recruiting

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
Just saw in the news John Marshall HS is ranked #1 in the country after a big week of wins, and then also noticed the 2nd ranked team is another VA team in Chantilly - Paul IV.

WIth two high profile teams so close to UR, they have got to have some good players. Anyone know if we are recruiting any players from these teams?

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that Nelson played there after transferring from Varina. He's obviously well-connected with many of the current players.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
For JM, Parker is headed to NC State. Thompson pretty much just has lower-level offers including a High Point one yesterday....Charleston, GW, Hofstra are his better offers so far. Allmond is only a frosh.

PVI stud Harris-Smith is headed to Maryland.

Yes, was noticing JM seems to have become a national program. Love to see the public schools up there in the rankings. I realize they must get some transfers - Nelson of course, but still impressive when you see some of the privates/preps and their campuses and resources.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Nelson's two finalists were UR and Vanderbilt. He wouldn't have been in that company if his grades were questionable.
No doubt. Trap needs to delete that post. What the heck was that all about? I remember reading this about Nelson:

Q: Vanderbilt is a great school and Columbia is in the Ivy League. describe the importance of academics.

Nelson: "I have a 3.3 GPA. I'm going to make sure that increases this year. Academics matters. Without academics you really can't go high or as far as you want to. My parents really press on that and make sure I take care of my academics before I do anything else."

No offense, I love Jason Nelson, but if you have 3.3 High School GPA, you are not even close to getting into a school like UR or Vandy.

No offense, I love Jason Nelson, but if you have 3.3 High School GPA, you are not even close to getting into a school like UR or Vandy.
??? What the heck is wrong with some of you guys? This is exactly why Trap's post should be deleted. Somehow, this is a negative regarding Nelson? What the heck?

Last edited:
??? What the heck is wrong with some of you guys? This is exactly why Trap's post should be deleted. Somehow, this is a negative regarding Nelson? What the heck?
It's not negative towards Nelson. I know plenty of kids who have above 4.0's, lots of extracurriculars, who aren't getting into UVA or Tech right now, so a 3.3 GPA at a Richmond Public School you aren't getting into UR, unless athletics are considered.

I'm not even sure why you are offended by that statement. It is just reality.

My quote was not geared at Nelson. But more so our admissions with athletes and we all know John Marshall is not a top academic school. So my thought was that since Nelson, to my knowledge, has been a good student (or at the very least good enough to stay eligible) and has not been in trouble (to my knowledge) off the court, that this could open the doors to other John Marshall players - even if they don't have the same academic qualifications of Nelson.

And the other point of my post was we have two extremely good HS teams close to UR, one right in our backyard, they must have some good players on their team that I would hope we are trying to recruit and stay close to home.

every kid will be evaluated on their own academic record.
I don't think the fact that Nelson comes from JM will have any positive or negative affect on another kid from JM.

And I would assume if our admissions allowed Nelson into school from John Marshall, that would be a good sign for other players from that school.
Nelson graduated from Richmond Community HS, which is one of the best schools in the region. Plenty of RPS kids that star at the local HS went to community or open HS and play for the local teams they're zoned to typically, and they’re all smart. It’s not easy to get into either school.

As for kids from Jayem, I’ll take a whole squad of players like that on my team. We like to have players that play with passion and moxy, look no further than Jayem to get them.

On a side note, what a shame it was that they tore down the old JM HS downtown for that ugly courthouse. Absolute travesty.

Last edited:
every kid will be evaluated on their own academic record.
I don't think the fact that Nelson comes from JM will have any positive or negative affect on another kid from JM.

Nelson graduated from Richmond Community HS, which is one of the best schools in the region. Plenty of RPS kids that star at the local HS went to community or open HS and play for the local teams they're zoned to typically, and they’re all smart. It’s not easy to get into either school.

As for kids from Jayem, I’ll take a whole squad of players like that on my team. We like to have players that play with passion and moxy, look no further than Jayem to get them.

On a side note, what a shame it was that they tore down the old JM HS downtown for that ugly courthouse. Absolute travesty.
I was not aware he graduated from Richmond Community HS, but assuming the other kids on the team right now do not attend (at least not all of them)- then I would wonder if our admissions would allow them in.

Yes - every kid will be treated on their own. But you have to admit - if you have a kid who comes from HS A and attends UR on a basketball scholarship and does well academically at the school, that will leave a positive thought in the admissions mind when we try to get another kid from that same school, maybe with a lower academic profile, but at least we can show some history of someone doing well from that same school.

One a different note - I saw the other day the Governor is trying to push some laws that would allow school choice by parents. Basically it seemed like you as a parent could get access to the federal funds allocated to your child and use them to attend schools outside your district - including public and private schools. I wonder what effect, if any, this will have on athletes who may wish to attend other schools outside their area and now have access to some funds to make it even easier.

Ok, this makes more sense now. Nelson had a reputation of being very good academic wise, so when I saw the 3.3 from John Marshall, I was like really.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT