ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Osteen's Way

tarrantula

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
May 8, 2003
I'm not here to speak about a religious choice. My family never linked ourselves permanently with a particular religious denomination...my mother was raised a Catholic, my Dad a Methodist...we moved around a lot when I was a kid and generally ended up at a church where there was a minister that both my parents liked.. When my wife and I lived in Stuart, my wife and I attended the methodist church because of our great friendship with the minister, since we have been in Martinsville we go to the Disciples of Christ church that my wife's family attended throughout her childhood one sunday and the Methodist church the next. But, my som who doesn't go to church on a regular basis, has introduced us to another experience that has enhanced our spiritual life....the Joel Osteen Sunday morning service on TV.

Joel doesn't speak in terms of a particular denomination. It is a Christian service, but it is also a message that anyone regardless of their religious views might enjoy. "The value of keeping a positive outlook". We tape his show every week and watch it at our leisure. Today, my son was here so I stayed home and watched the show with him. There is never any finger shaking, "you'd better do this" kind of approach..it is always a positive ..."these are things that will help you stay happy" kind of message. No requests that you send money, no threats about what happens if you don't do this or that, just illustrations of how various people have passed through difficult situations and positive reinforcement for those who are having problems. I always come away feeling better and I thought that I would mention the program for any who might not be familiar with this ministry.

This is the first time I have posted on a religious topic. I'm glad you and many others can get something meaningful from his sermons. But there is something that bothers me about pastors/preachers who profit so much from their work. to me it comes off as fake and insincere.

I'm normally not one to comment on people finding away to legally make money at what they do best. I'm a capitalist and that won't change. But there are a lot of pastors/preachers that are worth millions and that just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it is my Catholic upbringing but does anyone think that the 5 wealthiest preachers in Nigeria should be worth over $250MM? David Oyedepo is worth over $150MM by himself.

It just bothers me seeing Joel on TV preaching every Sunday, knowing that he has a net worth well over $50MM and lives in a $10MM+ home in TX. I'm sure his church gives back to the poor and I'm sure his sermons touch so many people. But his church operates with a budget of over $70MM per year and he takes in between $4-6MM a year in compensation. It just seems like so much of that money should be going back to the people who give it to his church that really need it than his deep pockets.

And this is coming from a guy who is neighbors and friendly with the pastor of the ROC (Richmond Outreach Center) Church here in Richmond. His church does so much good in the community and his story (former gang member in LA who was in prison and turned his life around) is great. But he also bought his house down the street for ~$700k in cash and has several high priced cars including a Mercedes SUV that costs over $100k. He has tons of high priced toys (boats, 4 wheelers, wave runners, etc) and multiple vacation homes.

That said "to each his own."

I'm now stepping off my soap box.

my daughter gave me one of his books years ago and have watched his tv and now, living here, have actually gone downtown to be there in person with about 20,000 others. WHOA!! he does do a very good generic job, is always positive and makes excellent points. one sermon i did hear, gave me pause for thought, when he was lambasting, in a nice way, lobsters, crabs and other bottom feeders and that we should not eat them because of what they eat. sorry joel but you will not take my crustaceans away from me. would recommend his tv shows/sermons to anyone without a church just to receive a very positive message each week.

Vol, I have the same thoughts about "selling the gospel". However, I appreciate the message Joel presents each week. Basically, it is a thoughtful approach to dealing with the troubles we all face in this life. It was not my intention to launch a theology discussion as my thoughts on such matters are uniquely my own. Nor, do I take your comment, with which I agree completely, to be an invitation to get into a broader discussion.

Osteen preaches what is known as "The Prosperity Gospel." Simply put it is a message that everything is positive and God wants you to enjoy material blessings. The concept of sin is missing from his messages which fits into the mindset of popular culture.

Vol, hear you loud and clear but he, or others in the religious arena, are no different than the CEO of a large, for profit, entity, if he brings in the bucks, he should be compensated for it. bring in another guy who wants to take no compensation and bet the people go away as will their money. some guys just have it and others want to share their money with that person. really does not matter if it is a profit making entity or a non-profit entity, obtain the people who are going to bring in the money and compensate them accordingly.

Web, I disagree here. You are comparing for profit and non profit. IMO, religion and faith should not be big business.

Now if you want to say that the Lakewood Church, that Joel Osteen founded and runs, should be considered for profit, take on investors and pay taxes than we have a different conversation. But they aren't and he gets paid a crap load of money for essentially running a privately held company without paying corporate taxes.

Want to compare other non profits, then I can handle that conversation.

my brother ran his non-profit entity just like a profit one and turned a little deal into a very large, well-run entity where everyone was a winner. other entities around the country came after him to turn theirs around and offered him even more money, which he declined to do but people who know what they are doing, no matter the type of business, and yes religion is a business, even your church, make and should make big bucks. i want the best running deals i work for or with. if osteen was bringing in $15 mill and then taking $8 mill out then NO.

Vol, was just thinking, all of the colleges and the sports are non-profits as well and a lot of individuals are pulling down a lot of money. am actually surprised that the govt has not gone after these huge endowments and the bank of money in college athletics. non-profit just means they don't pay taxes does not mean they don't turn a large surplus of dollars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT