ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Roche - Potential Transfer đź‘€

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Big-time visitor on campus today.

6'5" frosh wing from The Citadel dropped 27 on Pitt in his first college game...ended up averaging 13 ppg and shot 40% from three, dropping an incredible 110 of them on the season.

Three years of eligibility remaining.

Holy smokes!!? My goodness, can that dude shoot. This is my point when I have said you have to look at more than just a percentage from 3. Are they always left open or do they need to be left open to even shoot? Can they shoot over guys? Can they come off of screens? Do they have range beyond the 3? This guy's 39.7 is better than other 39.7s because of the other stats involved there, and I bet, being such a good, high volume 3 point shooter, was probably well guarded on most of his shots.

I love high volume from 3 point shooters. it means they can get their shot off. 40% on high volume is amazing. decent size too.

plus according to his bio, he was his HS team's defensive player of the year as a junior. not that the level of competition is comparable, but it's something.

Reactions: GKiller
14-for-29 from three in three games against non-DI, so still 38.7% against DI comp. Made 9 against Samford, 8 against Pitt, 7 against Furman.

SoCon rookie of the year, 3rd in the conference in 3-pt shooting, 4th in true shooting.

9th in all of DI in made threes and 13th in attempts.

🤤🤤🤤
This feels very promising, considering this was from last week.

So we went from not even in the mix when he was about to make a decision to now getting an official visit? I'll take those odds.

Also just saw that he is only doing a Zoom call with Mizzou rather than an in-person visit.

Edit: He already had an in-person visit to Mizzou.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
I still say Non-D1 defense is substantial lower, so if you are low volume and a large part of your shot are against Non-D1 then your ability to get open on your own is suspect.

That is not this...
This guy is high volume and consistent % against D1. With size and defense?

I think we have a lot of good shooters but we need one high % consistent shooter to open up the rest and raise everybody's % a point or 2...

Mizzou basketball has been a cluster flub the past few years.................Coach Cuonzo Martin fired after 5 seasons this spring........................
So new coach was with Cleveland ST for 3 years and now Mizzou for 4 weeks?

I feel we can tell him, you can be more confident in what you will get from us...

I think many would unsign it based on the post-season already.
Let's not get a head of ourselves here. We've lived through 4000 days of NCAA tournament free basketball thanks to this guy. He's bought himself a bit of leniency with his run. Quinn was a nice pick-up no doubt, I didn't see a whole lot of teams banging down Bigelow's door though, so that was some typical low hanging fruit Mooney recruiting. Bigelow has potential, not saying he doesn't but certainly not some plug and play starter that he just landed and he still has a hole that he needs to fill either via a knock down shooter or a 4.

In comparison to Mooney's past use of the portal, yeah he's killing it, but then again there was a reason we hadn't been to the NCAA tournament if over 4000 days.

I didn't say that Mooney would be able to make next year's team a sure-fire NCAA entrant by landing this transfer. My comment relates to the fact that this is the exact type of shooter that the team needs.

We've lived through 4000 days of NCAA tournament free basketball
That is all, felt like 40,000 days.

Have to run someone to the airport, offline for a minute today - my guy Jones leaves (hope it was a trade for Curtis Blair :)), and we are involved with maybe the top 3 point shooter in the portal??? Need to take a break from the board more I guess. Would be a very nice pick up. With the rapid movement today, I kept scrolling on this thread hoping to see a committ by the end.

Yes, yes, yes. Get him on board and we have a whole new ballgame.
Maybe yes, and no offense to MFG, but I sure hope we find an offense where MFG has a backup role as before.
Shooters are good but unless CM is going away from a Cayo-like post scorer (which would be Quinn and four guards/ forwards...which would be fun!) I'd rather have a front line guy who can post up. This kind of transfer plus Quinn and Burton would be formidable.

Interesting - very distinct choices here. Missouri - SEC school - a complete turnstile - no idea what you are walking into there. Rice, USD - nice cities to live in, but basketball wastelands - no attendance, small time hoops. Richmond - good conference, basketball school, as much as we bang on ourselves, good attendance, stable coach for life, values the 3 ball. I think we offer a ton vs the competition - unless wants to play in the SEC, that could be determining factor - but think we offer the best of all worlds compared to the other three.

yeah and I love that we got him on campus. the SEC is certainly a draw and it can be tough to top that, but our facilities and the family feel of our team and staff sell itself. can't match the weather of USD or Rice, but like you said ... a better chance of great basketball here.

yeah and I love that we got him on campus. the SEC is certainly a draw and it can be tough to top that, but our facilities and the family feel of our team and staff sell itself. can't match the weather of USD or Rice, but like you said ... a better chance of great basketball here.
Yes, but Mizzou has a better chance of great basketball...from the opponent... 🤣

Darn...a spot freed up at Mizzou.

The+Rolling+Stones+-+Get+Yer+Ya-Yas+Out-Front.jpg

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT