ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Wojcik - 2018 Signee

I can’t think of that last name without thinking of the Navy point guard...

Last edited:
Reactions: KWeaver
Jake looks good; also appears pretty strong. Nice shot; quick release.

Reactions: VT4700
Better than nothing, but yet another kid with only low-level D1 interest.

True, I meant great as in it's almost May, we need a guard and we are in on one that at least has the interest of several programs.

At this stage we aren't likely to find a 1:1 replacement for either Khwan or Buck so I think this may be a good fit.

Honestly his film looks solid. From what I’ve seen and read he has good size, a high b-ball IQ and is a great shooter.

Not sure if he is athletic enough for the A10. Needs to improve on his quickness. I’m not sure how he will do defensively but he can shoot.

Honestly, he looks better than the most recent kid we signed from Finland. They look similar in terms of size and athleticism but at least he can shoot. From the film I’ve seen on Andres I haven’t been nearly as impressed.

Looks more athletic with a ball in his hand than just running up the court. Looks like a really solid shooter though. If he can hang atheltically/defensively, I say definitely sign him up. Can never have enough good shooters.

EDITED FOR CLARITY:

So I think it’s good that we are in on guys that have some offers. I do find it dubious that he's a 3* recruit and only garnering interest from USF, HC and Drexel. It just kind of feels like the same thing though as in prior years which is pretty disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: KWeaver
So good that we are in on guys that have some offers. .

This our recruiting bar for our program now. Hey, look at least one other school is even interested in our players. Mooney is literally recruiting against himself now and ends up losing those half the time.

Reactions: SpiderK
Looks more athletic with a ball in his hand than just running up the court. Looks like a really solid shooter though. If he can hang atheltically/defensively, I say definitely sign him up. Can never have enough good shooters.
I call this the AA approach, turning yourself into a 12 "Steph" program...

His film looks pretty decent, I'll admit that. He's probably our best guard option at the moment, so I wouldn't hate the idea. At least he has some legit D1 offers.

And I suppose it's possibly that he could be a legit 3-star caliber player but just caught in a numbers game. How many 3-star or higher guards are there in a given year? If you assume that an average team has 4 openings per year (not sure, but anyway) and on average each team takes 1 transfer, that would leave 3 open spots.

There are only about 100-125 upper-tier teams, and if they all signed guards that would still be only 300-375 3-star and above guards who could sign with a solid program. Of course in reality only a third or so of those spots are going to guards in a given year, so that means there may only be 100-125 3-star and above guards going to top 125 programs.

I don't have anything to offer with regards to star ratings, but he committed to Siena very early (December 2016) due to family connections, so his recruiting never really developed.

Obviously would like to see some higher level programs involved now that he's reopened.

Reactions: plydogg
So good that we are in on guys that have some offers. I do find it dubious that he's a 3* recruit and only garnering interest from USF, HC and Drexel. It just kind of feels like the same thing though as in prior years which is pretty disappointing.
I know the video says three star, but the only recruiting rating I see for him online is two stars.

Coach's kid, who can shoot and handle the ball, all day long. May not be the most athletic, but Spiders have plenty of those already. Would like to see the roster a bit more balanced between athletes and basketball players.

Coach's kid, who can shoot and handle the ball, all day long. May not be the most athletic, but Spiders have plenty of those already. Would like to see the roster a bit more balanced between athletes and basketball players.
Khwan and Buck were athletes and we won 12 games with them. I liked Khwan and Buck, but I am thinking some extra shooters would be a good thing.

It’s a balance for sure. We could use some more shooters. There is always some downside or deficiency and we need to balance that and find the guys that fit the system and the makeup of the rest of the team well.

Perfect example is Gilyard. He has a great combination of quickness, handle and shooting from all over the court. He uses his quickness and instincts to be a great defender against similar sized opponents. Throw in some uncoachable traits like heart, leadership, competitiveness and he is a total stud.

But he’s also only 5’9” 160. So bigger, stronger guards can take advantage of that at times. If he were 6’1”+ and 190+ he would probably be at Duke.

Reactions: SpiderK and VT4700
So good that we are in on guys that have some offers. I do find it dubious that he's a 3* recruit and only garnering interest from USF, HC and Drexel. It just kind of feels like the same thing though as in prior years which is pretty disappointing.
Don't know for certain that it is the case with Wojcik, but most major programs will not even look at players who don't appear to be super athletes. There is a strong evaluation bias in many programs. This is how the lower tier programs end up with very some good players who we later see shining in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: VT4700
Khwan and Buck were athletes and we won 12 games with them. I liked Khwan and Buck, but I am thinking some extra shooters would be a good thing.
Agreed. I think in Mooney’s system it may be more important to be a great shooter than an incredible athlete

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
This our recruiting bar for our program now. Hey, look at least one other school is even interested in our players. Mooney is literally recruiting against himself now and ends up losing those half the time.
i edited my comment as this is not what I meant. This shows the importance of using proper grammar and punctuation.

Reactions: plydogg
If we could sign this recruit, this late in the game, I would be impressed.

He definitely looks like more than just a shooter, but also like an excellent shooter. When I first watched his video I thought he was a classic John Beilein recruit. He could be successful if we only had a zone defense, like a 2-3, and if we played it with some regularity and confidence. I do not see this recruit being highly successful in a man-to-man defense, and that seemed to be as far as we wanted to change our D last season. Maybe if we brought in the guy from Finland, and this recruit, it would motivate us to teach and learn some new Zone-Ds. Bring him on, if he is interested and a fit with our current players!

Outstanding. Does he immediately become the leading candidate to take over for Fore?

I would guess it would be between him and Andres for that spot. Considering they are basically the only shooting guards on the roster.

He seems like a great shooter and I think that will fit well in Mooney's offensive. My question mark for him though is his athleticism and how he will be able to defend against quicker more athletic guards.

Yes!!!!! Awesome news! What a perfect fit that should help us right away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT