ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time fire Huesman and staff

This thread reminds me of why I am sporadic with posting. Question: Is this the thread we want the coaches and team to read or concentrate on the week of the playoff game? My guess is no. Relax Spiders. We have important vibes to spew.
Can always count on SpiderK for the pep talks!😂

Huesman couldn't win with an NFL level QB- Lauletta. I am not sure Huesman is a field general. He doesn't have the overall perspective to manage a program. Bring in the VMI coach, Wachenheim. He would be an excellent fit.
Well, he's available. Though much younger than me he's too old. He would be a better fit as a Spider basketball fan.

Need a power runner in the red zone. Our largest back is 213, 5' 8', and never plays.

Gotta have a hammer in short down situations. We don't. Run a lineman ala the Fridge, run a TE, or how about burn a full or partial scholly on a big, physical running back?

Obvious weakness that needs to be addressed.

We are 8-3. We beat 3 playoff teams by my count (Del, NH, and St. Fran). All of our losses were against very good teams (FBS UVa, Elon, W/M). Yea, we gave away the Elon game, but I'd say this was a very successful season. We are also a relatively young team at alot of positions. Both coordinators are good coaches. I like the direction of the program. Time to make a run, not change coaches!

If it came down to needing one yard I’d be damned tempted to give Ray Eldridge the ball.
Did try Ryan Coll 6'5 '324 O lineman yesterday, but handoff was bobbled and lost a yard. Have tried a couple of times Fonnae Webb 5'11' 210 RB with a direct snap week before. Scored.

Staff clearly understand short down yardage problem and are willing to think outside the box to address it, but nothing has stuck yet.

Like the improv, but add a power back to the mix in recruiting.

Reactions: urfan1
We are 8-3. We beat 3 playoff teams by my count (Del, NH, and St. Fran). All of our losses were against very good teams (FBS UVa, Elon, W/M). Yea, we gave away the Elon game, but I'd say this was a very successful season. We are also a relatively young team at alot of positions. Both coordinators are good coaches. I like the direction of the program. Time to make a run, not change coaches!
You are right about the young talent we have at some positions, many starting and also on two deep. WR alone is still loaded even after the loss of the two Grad students. I heard Huesman say last week on one of the interviews we also have seniors who wanted to walk with their class yesterday and are coming back. I have heard nothing about Adian Murray on the DL, but he has a year left due to injury in pre-season this year.

Fear FBS might come calling for our coordinators at some point, hope we have them a while longer.

VMI is one of the toughest places to be successful as a football coach in the country. Ask Jim Reid - 3-19-0 - in his two seasons there.

Reactions: Gallipoli
Wow, what a broken record.
We beat Villanova, New Hampshire, and Delaware, and played W & M to the wire, but let’s fire
the coach.
I bet that you guys wanted Mooney fired, and then last year happened.
I have an idea, why don’t you post a billboard?

FMM is still an active organization.

Some of you need to realize that without our coaching staff bringing in key components for this years team, we would again be home for playoffs. What a great ride this team and coaches have given us this year. Our roster is also solid with returning players next year and both young QBs have had a year longer to develop and learn our offense. Almost entire offensive line could also return and two freshman OL will compete next year for playing time. Our program is in excellent order at this point.

This entire thread is a lot of nothing,most posts of which are written by a bunch of nobody’s,contributing absolutely nothing.It’s always been that way for most of the posters,who likely contribute minimally if anything to the school’s football program or any program for that matter.Worthless.

Reactions: URTOM68
Some of you need to realize that without our coaching staff bringing in key components for this years team, we would again be home for playoffs. What a great ride this team and coaches have given us this year. Our roster is also solid with returning players next year and both young QBs have had a year longer to develop and learn our offense. Almost entire offensive line could also return and two freshman OL will compete next year for playing time. Our program is in excellent order at this point.
It was the change at Offensive Coordinator that made the difference. Billy Cosh brought in the VMI players. His reputation for offensive production led to recruiting deep wide receiver talent. Billy Cosh reminds me of Kellen Moore of the Cowboys. Only Moore calls a lot of option plays. Billy Cosh learned from Wachenheim.

Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
life is full of ironies...one takes us to the "future is bright" side of this discussion of Coach Huesman...

at his previous stop in Chattanooga it took him five seasons to get the Mocs where he wanted them...he's right on schedule in his 5th regular season at UR...the foundation is built...it's time to enjoy the benefits....

only time will tell...let's win a Playoff game...

Go Spiders!

life is full of ironies...one takes us to the "future is bright" side of this discussion of Coach Huesman...

at his previous stop in Chattanooga it took him five seasons to get the Mocs where he wanted them...he's right on schedule in his 5th regular season at UR...the foundation is built...it's time to enjoy the benefits....

only time will tell...let's win a Playoff game...

Go Spiders!
Yes and no. I thought Coach Mooney deserved a chance to see the team he built succeed.
Coach Huesman had an NFL Quarterback in Lauletta, but he went 6-5. Then he all but dismantled the team Rocco had assembled. He ran off the really good QB, I believe it was Johnson. After that, the offense fell apart. Things really improved when he brought in Billy Cosh, this year. Huesman reminds me of Norv Turner, a good coordinator, but a terrible field general.

Agree Satchmo, he has recruited two deep at most positions, surrounded himself with great coordinators, as well as special teams that are getting the job done. The only real need we lack now is a 2 to 4 yard package that consistently gets scores inside the 5 yard line. Hopefully after Saturday, we can squash the Na sayers!
Go Spiders
MOO DA CHAINS one more time

Yes and no. I thought Coach Mooney deserved a chance to see the team he built succeed.
Coach Huesman had an NFL Quarterback in Lauletta, but he went 6-5. Then he all but dismantled the team Rocco had assembled. He ran off the really good QB, I believe it was Johnson. After that, the offense fell apart. Things really improved when he brought in Billy Cosh, this year. Huesman reminds me of Norv Turner, a good coordinator, but a terrible field general.
Kevin Johnson transferred to Western Illinois after he graduated as I remember.
He was not the starter there but did throw it for 60% completion rate and a few touchdowns in the 4 games he participated it.

Will always remember what a class move he made to give up his redshirt to lead the team to two playoff wins after Lauletta went down in last game of season.

Now, what kind of developing and learning have the backup quarterbacks had this year?
Certainly NOT game experience. Wickersham mopped up in 2 games with a grand total of 2 passes and 18 total yards for his valuable game experience; Hardy didn't even play this year. Huesman was all-in for this year with Udinski and Herres. We have ZERO experience at quarterback for next year, how do you think that will turn out?

Probably doesn't affect Huesman though, if we win one game in the playoffs he will probably get a 10 year contract extension....

Now, what kind of developing and learning have the backup quarterbacks had this year?
Certainly NOT game experience. Wickersham mopped up in 2 games with a grand total of 2 passes and 18 total yards for his valuable game experience; Hardy didn't even play this year. Huesman was all-in for this year with Udinski and Herres. We have ZERO experience at quarterback for next year, how do you think that will turn out?

Probably doesn't affect Huesman though, if we win one game in the playoffs he will probably get a 10 year contract extension....
The developing and learning happens in practice and in the QB room. Backup QBs seldom play in games. They are backups for a reason. Starters play. The only games he might have gotten appreciable time were Stony Brook and Hampton, and he played in both games.

Unless it will affect a redshirt loss, I hope the whole roster gets to play Saturday, though I doubt that will happen. It would be nice however for the starters to get the benefit of a short afternoon having to play the #2 seed the next week. I noticed with the exception of our starting TE missing and the kickers having swapped positions on the depth chart, it looks pretty much the way it did early in the season.
Davidson is from a traditionally weaker conference, but they did win it, so this game could prove more difficult than many think. 35 members of the AGS crowd have picked a winner for this game and they all have picked the Spiders. Only first round game that is that way, so at least those that follow FCS football around the country have faith in Spiders for this first game.

Reactions: Mo 2.0
Davidson is from a traditionally weaker conference, but they did win it, so this game could prove more difficult than many think. 35 members of the AGS crowd have picked a winner for this game and they all have picked the Spiders. Only first round game that is that way, so at least those that follow FCS football around the country have faith in Spiders for this first game.
Davidson didn't even win the PFL.

St. Thomas ran the table in the PFL and beat Davidson 27–16, but they're not eligible for the playoffs because they're still transitioning from D-III.

Davidson didn't even win the PFL.

St. Thomas ran the table in the PFL and beat Davidson 27–16, but they're not eligible for the playoffs because they're still transitioning from D-III.
You are right, I just plain forgot St Thomas since they could not make playoffs.

With all due respect, the QB pipeline from VMI is VERY strong. They have two very good QBs who took over for Udinski. One was Colin Ironside and the other Seth Morgan. Both are as good as or better than Udinski. Both were injured this season, because the offensive line could not protect them. They were recruited by Cosh. Combined with our stable of WR studs, we can have some confidence in the tea. Except for the last college coach of Kyle Lauletta.

Last edited:
See FCS Transfer Portal thread for preview of likely QB next year. Don't believe it should be a concern.

Reactions: VT4700

Why try to make the playoffs, right? Just develop next year's QB every year and go 6-5 every year, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT