ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Game Observations

Connor McCaffery is living in La La land. In the press conference he said that they played by far their worst game of the season and that it was a good season because “nobody thought we were even going to make the tournament.

Didn’t say a good word or compliment about Richmond, the only one to not do so. When he talked about our strategy he said it with disdain like we were lucky to win and played dirty to do so.

Keegan Murray said not only said that they could have won but that they “could have won this game easily”.

Bohannon was really raw, really like him a lot after that.

Well maybe Mooney has his mojo back. Not zoning out the non-NCAA years, there were too many of them. But you can't change the past, I prefer to live in the present and what this might mean for our program going forward.

It's a great day to be a Spider, and let's beat the Friars. We can agree on that!
More TV, more exposure, more recruiting options and yes administration, more applications.

Connor McCaffery is living in La La land. In the press conference he said that they played by far their worst game of the season and that it was a good season because “nobody thought we were even going to make the tournament.

Didn’t say a good word or compliment about Richmond, the only one to not do so. When he talked about our strategy he said it with disdain like we were lucky to win and played dirty to do so.
I guess he took his Wilson Basketball and went to another court to practice for next season.

No one actually hates Mooney! Results and accountability are what everyone wants,........
You are 100% correct. No one hates Mooney. Some just hate gaps of 11 years in not going to an NCAA Tournament and don't see that as an acceptable standard. To hide behind terminology of "Mooney haters" is to dismiss the failures of the last 11 years. Please let it not be another 11 year cycle.

Also, no one has ownership on love of our basketball program. Those of us who are season ticket holders, who have stayed true & supportive of this program, yet "have the audacity" to question or criticize aspects of the program or Mooney's actions / inactions love this program just as much as those who carry water for Mooney.

Good analysis as always 97.

Golden couldn't get his shots to fall but thought he had a good game. Started off with some great passing, and then had 2 big hoops late. He had his normal smart floor game and got his hands on some pretty good loose balls to gain us some possessions. Keep it going Grant.
agreed. he played well. shots didn't fall. he was important though.

Agree wr, Nice job by Mooney, cmon man where the eff has Mooney and the moorehall truthers the last 3650 or so days. Where??????
really? anyone defending Mooney the past few years got attacked here by the masses. and you wonder why they posted less often?

And rightfully so :).

Will say Mooney has an opportunity to strike while the iron is hot now, and get a couple more impact players. Though I imagine we will have to figure out who is coming back and if there will be any additional spots.
Well I hear Keegan is turning down the NBA and transferring here instead, that should help...

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Well I hear Keegan is turning down the NBA and transferring here instead, that should help...
Hmmm - he and Burton will be fun to see on the court together … we can also teach him some physical defense strategies

We have won 69% (62-28) of our games in the last three years. We have a winning basketball program.

Again, there was no guarantee we were going to make the field in 2020. We could have fallen on our face in the A-10 tourney. We would probably have had a deep run in the NIT, though.

Again, there was no guarantee we were going to make the field in 2020. We could have fallen on our face in the A-10 tourney. We would probably have had a deep run in the NIT, though.
we would have had to play our way out of the field. we'd have been a heavy favorite in our early A10 tournament games. but regardless, it was a good season.

"11 years" is the common saying here and it does sounds more dramatic, but we didn't make 9 tournaments. we made 2, missed 9, made 1. so 3 in 12 years.

no, it's not what any of us wanted. I want 12 in 12 years. I'd settle for 6. there were some close calls. 3 NIT quarter finals. only 2 losing seasons. there was a lull in recruiting that set us back. but we're on the right track and have been for a few years now.

we would have had to play our way out of the field. we'd have been a heavy favorite in our early A10 tournament games. but regardless, it was a good season.

"11 years" is the common saying here and it does sounds more dramatic, but we didn't make 9 tournaments. we made 2, missed 9, made 1. so 3 in 12 years.

no, it's not what any of us wanted. I want 12 in 12 years. I'd settle for 6. there were some close calls. 3 NIT quarter finals. only 2 losing seasons. there was a lull in recruiting that set us back. but we're on the right track and have been for a few years now.
Definitely a good season, and in the Tournament at the time everything stopped.
I believe we were KenPom #46 and first game would have been winner of #70 Davidson vs #181 LaSalle.
Not sure we would have been heavily favored. But since we had beaten Davidson by 17 in our final home game, maybe we should have been.

I would say 3.7 in 13? ;)
2 IN/8 OUT/70%/1 OUT/1 IN

Approaching the 1 in 4 we would like, but the Distribution is closer to
2 In 6 Out than 1 In 3 Out???

I would be perfectly happy with 6 in 12 years. What is interesting, I posted in one of the threads the numbers for Davidson, VCU, SDSU, St. Mary's - programs I like to compare to. Those numbers - I used Mooney's first year as starting point - are pretty dramatic (to use your term) compared to Richmond. And most of those programs in down years have way way more NIT's. Which seems to point to big fall offs, basically depending on a few years to rebuild every time.

Here are the numbers -
ST. Mary's - 7 NCAA's (and 7 NIT's) - 14 combined
SDSU - 10 NCAA's (and 4 NIT's) - 14 Combined
Richmond - 3 NCAA's (and 3 NIT's) - 6 Combined
VCU - 11 ncaa (and 2 NIT) - 13 Combined
Davidson - 8 NCAA's (and 5 NIT) - 13 Combined

Reactions: Eight Legger
Haven't done this in a while but here goes.

Gilly: Is just playing on an entirely different level than everyone else on the floor? He is in complete control of the game on both ends of the floor. I said before the game started that if Gilly get us 25, we win. Only got us 24.
Burton: Also playing on a different level. What I loved most about his game was how he completed f*cked with number 2 for Iowa and took him completely out of the game. Both him and Gilly are playing with a cockiness that they are backing up with their play.
Cayo: Delivered both the knockout blows shots down the stretch. 7-11 from the field. Both him and Burton did a whale of a job defending Murray.
Golden: He didn't have a good game, plain and simple. Was screaming for more Grace again.
Grace: Again just very heady play, yeah he probably fouled Murray at the end, but damn we had some calls go against us, so whatever, we got a call. Love his confidence.

I don't know if I can even describe what has happened to our defense but we simply clogged the lane and refused to let Iowa get good looks inside but simultaneously were able to close out the 3 point shot. Simply outstanding defense.

Offensively, I think we finally realized that we are not a good 3 pointing team (5-17). We shot 3's when we had to, but played to our strengths which is quick passing (Grant and Gilly in particular) to get us easy looks inside.

We controlled this game the entire 40 minutes. This team quite simply has captured magic and are playing with supreme confidence. Providence is a great team as well, but we come out and play like we did today, we are going to be in the Sweet 16
Maybe overlooked but Jacob had no steals. I prefer his whole game team display to his individual headhunting stat. Helps total team defense effort.

Maybe overlooked but Jacob had no steals. I prefer his whole game team display to his individual headhunting stat. Helps total team defense effort.
This may be partially because of Iowa. They are #22 in not getting it stolen, and #1 in not throwing it away.

Providence is #141 in not stolen, #95 in not throwing it away...

Last edited:
Had a busy day at work today so I am just now catching up on all of the posts.

I was very impressed with our defense yesterday, felt like we had control of most of the game except that one stretch where they had 11 in a row.

I was less impressed with our offense--got good looks but wow if shots had fallen we could have won by double digits.

We will need Grant's offense to return tomorrow.

Has anyone seen full game replay of iowa game? I think Eight Legger posted YouTube of Davidson game. Post link if u have seen anything similar. Thx.

Has anyone seen full game replay of iowa game? I think Eight Legger posted YouTube of Davidson game. Post link if u have seen anything similar. Thx.
If you to play store on android or apple store iPhone - download March Madness app. Get every game free.

Had a busy day at work today so I am just now catching up on all of the posts.

I was very impressed with our defense yesterday, felt like we had control of most of the game except that one stretch where they had 11 in a row.

I was less impressed with our offense--got good looks but wow if shots had fallen we could have won by double digits.

We will need Grant's offense to return tomorrow.
Grant, yes. Believe Super Senior Sherod has a role to play too if we are to advance. Has been ice cold for games. He is due to find his zone and rain in some threes. Now is the time, Nick.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT