ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Game Observations

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
Haven't done this in a while but here goes.

Gilly: Is just playing on an entirely different level than everyone else on the floor? He is in complete control of the game on both ends of the floor. I said before the game started that if Gilly get us 25, we win. Only got us 24.
Burton: Also playing on a different level. What I loved most about his game was how he completed f*cked with number 2 for Iowa and took him completely out of the game. Both him and Gilly are playing with a cockiness that they are backing up with their play.
Cayo: Delivered both the knockout blows shots down the stretch. 7-11 from the field. Both him and Burton did a whale of a job defending Murray.
Golden: He didn't have a good game, plain and simple. Was screaming for more Grace again.
Grace: Again just very heady play, yeah he probably fouled Murray at the end, but damn we had some calls go against us, so whatever, we got a call. Love his confidence.

I don't know if I can even describe what has happened to our defense but we simply clogged the lane and refused to let Iowa get good looks inside but simultaneously were able to close out the 3 point shot. Simply outstanding defense.

Offensively, I think we finally realized that we are not a good 3 pointing team (5-17). We shot 3's when we had to, but played to our strengths which is quick passing (Grant and Gilly in particular) to get us easy looks inside.

We controlled this game the entire 40 minutes. This team quite simply has captured magic and are playing with supreme confidence. Providence is a great team as well, but we come out and play like we did today, we are going to be in the Sweet 16.

Gilly: Is just playing on an entirely different level than everyone else on the floor? He is in complete control of the game on both ends of the floor. I said before the game started that if Gilly get us 25, we win. Only got us 24.
Burton: Also playing on a different level. What I loved most about his game was how he completed f*cked with number 2 for Iowa and took him completely out of the game. Both him and Gilly are playing with a cockiness that they are backing up with their play.
Cayo: Delivered both the knockout blows shots down the stretch. 7-11 from the field. Both him and Burton did a whale of a job defending Murray.
Golden: He didn't have a good game, plain and simple. Was screaming for more Grace again.
Grace: Again just very heady play, yeah he probably fouled Murray at the end, but damn we had some calls go against us, so whatever, we got a call. Love his confidence.

I don't know if I can even describe what has happened to our defense but we simply clogged the lane and refused to let Iowa get good looks inside but simultaneously were able to close out the 3 point shot. Simply outstanding defense.

Offensively, I think we finally realized that we are not a good 3 pointing team (5-17). We shot 3's when we had to, but played to our strengths which is quick passing (Grant and Gilly in particular) to get us easy looks inside.

We controlled this game the entire 40 minutes. This team quite simply has captured magic and are playing with supreme confidence. Providence is a great team as well, but we come out and play like we did today, we are going to be in the Sweet 16.
Thanks for the replay analysis!

I don't know if anyone caught the head game he was playing with #2 for Iowa. Refs broke them up after some chippiness Burton extends a handshake and is ignored. #2 plows right over him on the inbounds and Burton draws the charge. Led to a basket too IIRC. As raw as he is at times, thought that was a really savvy move.

Cayo was an X factor today. Looked like last year Cayo.

Good analysis as always 97.

Golden couldn't get his shots to fall but thought he had a good game. Started off with some great passing, and then had 2 big hoops late. He had his normal smart floor game and got his hands on some pretty good loose balls to gain us some possessions. Keep it going Grant.

Reactions: spider fan
This is a very sad day for Mooney haters everywhere.
This is the best possible day for Mooney haters - all are Richmond fans so seeing us succeed is great. And perhaps making the tourney and getting a win gets a P6 to sniff around hiring him away from us.

Either way, we are all spider fans and all supporting this team. Celebrate the win! Go spiders

This is a very sad day for Mooney haters everywhere.
Nah, Mooney has us playing and winning in the NCAA, that is all us "Mooney haters" ever wanted. A chance for our boys to play in the NCAA. A chance for our University to shine in the national spotlight. Today is a great to be a Spider. And you know what, we got one more on Saturday.

And I'll give Mooney his due. This was a year we had all circled to make our mark and he made it happen. That doesn't erase the last 11 years, but you know what tip of the hat to Mooney.

Ya this all I ever wanted. I don’t care who the coach is, I just wanna win. I do fear that this might be the highest point for a while because apparently it takes 11 years and a global pandemic giving players extra eligibility to build this program. Seriously has anyone benefited more from the pandemic than mooney?

Well said 97, us supposed bad guys just want a winning basketball program. These Mooney above Richmond loyalists want Mooney above Richmond. Excited for the rest of the tourney, and hopefully a resurgence in our program going forward and not just a 1 year bump.
We have won 69% (62-28) of our games in the last three years. We have a winning basketball program.

Agree, no need to be a douche, love the Spiders above Mooney, unlike you
So, presenting facts is being a douche? We have been a winning basketball program. And don't even begin to think I would put the love of any individual over the love of my alma mater. To even suggest otherwise is wrong.

I said all year I thought a coaching change was necessary. Now I am not so sure. Mooney has been outstanding the second half of the season. I am not in favor of an extension. Bonus, yes. More years, no.

It's rather hypocritical for all the Mooney haters who said he should be be fired because he didn't get us to the NCAAs or win the A-10 to still make that claim when we're A-10 tournament champions and in the round of 32, with a puncher's chance of making the Sweet 16.

What happened four or three years ago doesn't matter now. Live in the present. Enjoy it. It's been a great day.

Are you as critical of the SDSU coach, who has fallen flat on his face the last couple years?

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, I think he has some flaws but he has been to NCAA 5 out of 6 years I think? And yes I give him the first covid year bc they were in the top 10 in the nation and definitely in. I was pro Mooney for years but he seemed to lose motivation once he got the contract. So it's not the same, I think you probably zone out the years we are bad.

Well maybe Mooney has his mojo back. Not zoning out the non-NCAA years, there were too many of them. But you can't change the past, I prefer to live in the present and what this might mean for our program going forward.

It's a great day to be a Spider, and let's beat the Friars. We can agree on that!

Here to pay my respect to Mooney. I said all along that I didn’t like that he simply never produced but still got credit somehow. Well this year he only produced for two weeks but it’s the most important two weeks. Until two weeks ago, I’d have said this year was Mooney to a T. Not terrible, not as good as we could/should be. But he delivered. No “yeah well only at the end“ etc. We got in and got a win. He gets full credit. He was key to everyone staying and he had them ready when the chips were down.

congrats e to him, but especially congrats to all the kids. They showed great heart and super excited for them that this will be the memory they take away from their Richmond basketball experience and not anything else!

Now we need another W and maybe we get a couple of transfers to with Burton and it’s the start of a run.

Defense and rebounding. Remarkable turnaround in the post-season. I have no clue how a team can look this different after the regular season but whatever it is, keep it going.
I truly believe there was a mutiny on this team.

Well maybe Mooney has his mojo back. Not zoning out the non-NCAA years, there were too many of them. But you can't change the past, I prefer to live in the present and what this might mean for our program going forward.

It's a great day to be a Spider, and let's beat the Friars. We can agree on that!
I am going to be pro Mooney because he is here for awhile. I do think if he can kick up the recruiting just a bit the Spiders can be a regular in the tourney. We have had some almosts, that were not his fault. The past two weeks have been super, I am hoping it can continue in coming seasons

Reactions: Wood Hall
I am going to be pro Mooney because he is here for awhile. I do think if he can kick up the recruiting just a bit the Spiders can be a regular in the tourney. We have had some almosts, that were not his fault. The past two weeks have been super, I am hoping it can continue in coming seasons
In all honesty, Coach Mooney did not push his players enough. I think he liked them too much.

Reactions: Wood Hall
I will go with that too. The only way to get rid of Mooney now is for him to get taken by someone else this off season. No one will take him after the next two years. Go Mooney!!!

By the way, no one hates Mooney.

I had a chance to talk with one of the assistants awhile back. He said they have really worked on increasing toughness, while keeping some of the finesse.
I believe you, but I saw no toughness until the past week. Glad to see it now though.

I believe you, but I saw no toughness until the past week. Glad to see it now though.
I am shocked that they said we were physical. Maybe the rock fights with the Bonnies and the Billikens have actually helped. We pushed them around, double teamed them, filled the lanes and shut their stars down. We stuck with the game plan laid out by Coach.

Reactions: plydogg
I am shocked that they said we were physical. Maybe the rock fights with the Bonnies and the Billikens have actually helped. We pushed them around, double teamed them, filled the lanes and shut their stars down. We stuck with the game plan laid out by Coach.
We only had 14 fouls and our center had 0. We are not physical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT