ADVERTISEMENT

Impact Transfer

There have been a number of impact transfers over the years, TJC, Dobbins, Stevenson, and several back to the 80s iirc. No impact grad transfers though.

There have been a number of impact transfers over the years, TJC, Dobbins, Stevenson, and several back to the 80s iirc. No impact grad transfers though.

Not a grad transfer, but Marshall Wood. Maybe not a huge impact, but he won some games for us. Cal comes to mind.

I will be forgetting about P Ford in about 3 seconds if we can bring in an "impact" transfer, or even an impact grad transfer (although those have not been working out very well recently). Fingers crossed!!!!

I am in touch with Paul's people again. He will be taking a gap year and working with a trainer 2 hours a day and the playing in leagues like Rucker Park etc, with goal of coming back for new coach as all A10 big man at Richmond.

A couple of questions for the group:

1) would you rather see a transfer from a major program/conference who was a former high recruit (ex, 4 star top 100 type) who didn’t get much playing time as a FR or a transfer from a smaller school who played really well as a Fr/So (league rookie of the year type like TJ) or it doesn’t matter as long as it is one of the two?

2) what position on the court would you prefer to see come in as a transfer?

1 - doesn’t matter to me as long as they can play.

2 - all things equal otherwise, give me a big man.

Non-UR but this has me wondering, is there a limit to how many switches you can make? This guy has certainly made the rounds.
He is not the only one. But I am wondering if you sit 2 play 3 then graduate, do you need the NCAA to allow you to play 4 in 6?

He is not the only one. But I am wondering if you sit 2 play 3 then graduate, do you need the NCAA to allow you to play 4 in 6?

I don't think he actually played for Miami. He was released before even stepping on the court. So he just sort of passed through practice before leaving.

If Wade had not got rid of him, he would have graduated this year. So his grad year will be the fifth year.

Coming out of high school he was an ESPN 4* recruit. I watched him play some last year. While it will be nice to have another big guy in the middle, I don't see him as an "impact" player. But he is what we needed. Our classes are very imbalanced right now. So this will allow Mike to balance the classes out a bit.

Quote from JOC article: Richmond may now be in the market for a graduate transfer who can immediately help.

If he got that intention from Mooney, I thin he is insane. I was saying this from day 1, we need a grad transfer that can help with from day 1. 4700 said Ford was not going to play, so how does his leaving now say we need immediate help. The misdirection is mind boggling. We needed immediate help from day 1, and day 1 after we whiffed on Bryce Golden.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
A couple of questions for the group:

1) would you rather see a transfer from a major program/conference who was a former high recruit (ex, 4 star top 100 type) who didn’t get much playing time as a FR or a transfer from a smaller school who played really well as a Fr/So (league rookie of the year type like TJ) or it doesn’t matter as long as it is one of the two?

2) what position on the court would you prefer to see come in as a transfer?

1) Doesn't matter to me. As long as it isn't a transfer from a smaller school that didn't get much playing time.

2) A player 6'6" or taller that can shoot well. Grad transfers need not apply as far as I'm concerned.

Just curious, when is the last (only) time we landed an impact transfer?
I think we just got an impact transfer in Blake Francis.

I figure we'll look to replace Phoenix with a big, but where would you guys want an impact transfer? obviously no transfer's making a big impact at the 1, 3 or 5 over who we already have there. I personally like where we are at the 4. Sal's a pretty big time recruit there and I think Nathan is very solid too. plus Verbinskis. but yes a 4 would make sense.

we have bodies at the 2 with JJ, Schneider and Wojcik, but there's no likely impact guy there this year. a strong grad transfer SG would make sense for the year before Blake is available and while the freshmen guards get acclimated.

Makes sense, shooting guard is definitely biggest position of need. Next would be a 6'8" athletic guy that has some moderate offensive skills at the least. But an athletic guard that can play d, and hopefully shoot would be ideal.

I don't post often on the board and can't figure out how to send a direct message, but really wanna know what @spider23 does for a living. I barely have time to check the Message Boards on the bowl at the office, yet he (or she) can post 30x per day.

And with the amount of sensitivity and need to further caveat all posts on this board, I'm genuinely curious as to where they find the time ha!

I don't post often on the board and can't figure out how to send a direct message, but really wanna know what @spider23 does for a living. I barely have time to check the Message Boards on the bowl at the office, yet he (or she) can post 30x per day.

And with the amount of sensitivity and need to further caveat all posts on this board, I'm genuinely curious as to where they find the time ha!

Long lunch breaks.

I work third shift at a mop factory - thus you notice my posts stop overnight, unless I can sneak one in on my flip phone.

I work third shift at a mop factory - thus you notice my posts stop overnight, unless I can sneak one in on my flip phone.
And during the day, I do some programming, I am actually coming up with a "RoboPoster" I will be patenting. It can be programmed to mimic your posts. I have been piloting it a little on here, so some of these "Spider23" posts are really computer generated. And some are me.

That is a huge time saver. Say if a poster you set as "Respond Immediately" posts something, the "RoboPoster" will immediately respond. Which takes 0 time from my day. This post is human, so yes probably wasted about 45 seconds. But, I am not on the clock at the mop factory so all is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: KWeaver
Go, you will have to take my word for it [Robo23].

On a serious note, can't wait for this transfer. Last time I was this excited was for the Bryce Golden decision #2, and the Columbia grad transfer we missed. Those set me off.

And during the day, I do some programming, I am actually coming up with a "RoboPoster" I will be patenting. It can be programmed to mimic your posts. I have been piloting it a little on here, so some of these "Spider23" posts are really computer generated. And some are me.

That is a huge time saver. Say if a poster you set as "Respond Immediately" posts something, the "RoboPoster" will immediately respond. Which takes 0 time from my day. This post is human, so yes probably wasted about 45 seconds. But, I am not on the clock at the mop factory so all is good.

Making "RoboPosters" actually is pretty easy these days. The Markov chain text generator is well documented, easy and quick to train, and puts out decent results. I might set one up when I have some more free time and try to train it with some of the high volume posters on here. Would be a fun game to see if people could guess which poster the RoboPoster was based on. If I really get into it, I might try to build an LSTM RNN which should create much more convincingly human posts. It needs a lot more training data and is much more difficult to set up though, not sure if there are enough posts on here to properly train it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT