ADVERTISEMENT

I'll take Richmond basketball coaches for $500 Alex

SpiderRick

Graduate Assistant
Oct 11, 2009
Alex: and the answer is..."Mark Schmidt, Dan Geriot, TJ Cline, Kevin Anderson, Nancy Liberman, Dick Tarrant coming out of retirement...."

You buzzing in: "Who would make a better coach than Chris Mooney?"

Alex: and the answer is..."Mark Schmidt, Dan Geriot, TJ Cline, Kevin Anderson, Nancy Liberman, Dick Tarrant coming out of retirement...."

You buzzing in: "Who would make a better coach than Chris Mooney?"
The answer would have been a dead give away if it included Howdy Doody.

John Beilein!
Age 69, current Advisor to Detroit Pistons.
Family loved Richmond, End of career coaching job like Tarrant, 5/6 years and help pick his successor, instant credibility, maybe he’d rather Coach than Advise, doesn’t need the $$$.
Long shot for sure, but!
A force to be reckoned with.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
John Beilein!
Age 69, current Advisor to Detroit Pistons.
Family loved Richmond, End of career coaching job like Tarrant, 5/6 years and help pick his successor, instant credibility, maybe he’d rather Coach than Advise, doesn’t need the $$$.
Long shot for sure, but!

Always interesting to look at how his former schools do once he leaves. I don’t think any reach the levels or consistency while Beilein was there. They do very well initially bc he leaves the cupboard full then gradual decline. So it seems. look at all his D1 stops Canisius Richmond WVU Michigan.

Always interesting to look at how his former schools do once he leaves. I don’t think any reach the levels or consistency while Beilein was there. They do very well initially bc he leaves the cupboard full then gradual decline. So it seems. look at all his D1 stops Canisius Richmond WVU Michigan.
No way he comes back - he doesn't need the money, that is a true statement. But for A LOT of these guys, its not about NEEDS - its about WANTS and what the money says.

I think our shot at JB would have been if Patrick continued to climb and maybe we hired Patrick and what if - JB came to be an assistant or advisor. His biggest claim is he was never an assistant, but what if the storybook ending was - the only time he was an assistant was to his son - Patrick. But that story got thrown off the rails when Pat messed up at Niagara. Now he is coaching HS somewhere and a long way away from being at A10 level.

If your looking for a realistic option that fits what UR is generally looking for - I think your looking at Matt Langel of Colgate. Graduated from Penn, had successful basketball career there. From the Northeast, has coached at Penn, Temple, and now head job at Colgate where he has turned them around to 1st or 2nd place in league the last 5 seasons with 3 NCAA bids. And this year - they are 11-0 in the conference.

Reactions: urfan1
lol, I hope nobody's serious about JB. great guy, great coach ... but he's 70. he's not going back to coaching.
and not to diminish his love of UR, but we were a stepping stone. we're a footnote in his coaching career.

Loved JB. Great coach. He did a great job here. And, as I have already said on here, Schmidt has done a great job at St. Bona. JB had 1 NCAA tourney in 5 years here. Schmidt has had 3 in 15 years at St Bona.

Reactions: urfan1
Loved JB. Great coach. He did a great job here. And, as I have already said on here, Schmidt has done a great job at St. Bona. JB had 1 NCAA tourney in 5 years here. Schmidt has had 3 in 15 years at St Bona.
Schimdt is also consistent. 10 wins in conference since 2014-15, not to mention the Bonnies have one of the smallest budgets for D1 athletics. Him at Richmond would be very scary.

Reactions: spider23
But doesn't JB get credit for the JW tourney - since those were mostly his guys?

But wait a minute - then does Dooley get credit for JB tourney???? And the year the CAA didn't let UR play in the conference tourney - that counts too right? Similar to the COVID year with no tourney - we would have made the tourney that year. So in reality - JB made anywhere from 0 tourneys to 3 tourney appearances - depending on how you count.

On a similar topic - does anyone know what happened to Kevin Anderson? Remember he was at Liberty, and then left at the beginning of this year - did he resurface anywhere as a coach or assistant?

the lengths vt and 80s fan go to try to downgrade JB and Tarrant are unbelievable. Both 1000% better game coaches than mooney.
Downgrade??? Why do you say stuff like this you know is not true? When have I ever said anything close to negative about Tarrant??? Good luck finding that. As for JB, I said I loved him here, he was a great coach, and did a great job for us. What part of that do you not understand? I simply pointed out how many NCAAs we had with him. If I said what I said about him before saying that, wouldn't that mean I was happy with the job he did here, and happy with the NCAA tourney he gave us? Cmon, man. Stop making things up.

But doesn't JB get credit for the JW tourney - since those were mostly his guys?

But wait a minute - then does Dooley get credit for JB tourney???? And the year the CAA didn't let UR play in the conference tourney - that counts too right? Similar to the COVID year with no tourney - we would have made the tourney that year. So in reality - JB made anywhere from 0 tourneys to 3 tourney appearances - depending on how you count.
I mean kind of weird that major programs wanted JB, yet no major programs want Mooney. Hmmm, I wonder why that is?

My comment was just an observation of how his former teams do after he & his inherited players leave. Pattern there imo. Not to start a debate on purely his UR tenure. But re: 1 for 5 ncaa. Think important to consider context. He won right away w ncaa win w players who had no history of winning. Then completely rebuilt, lost on that goober from uncw banking in a 3 in CAA champ, first team out ncaa after winning CAA & being banned from tourney in era where no CAA was getting at large. Then moved to A10 went to championship game first year won 3 nit games losing to Cuse in quarters. .653 career at U of R. Left cupboard full.

My comment was just an observation of how his former teams do after he & his inherited players leave. Pattern there imo. Not to start a debate on purely his UR tenure. But re: 1 for 5 ncaa. Think important to consider context. He won right away w ncaa win w players who had no history of winning. Then completely rebuilt, lost on that goober from uncw banking in a 3 in CAA champ, first team out ncaa after winning CAA & being banned from tourney in era where no CAA was getting at large. Then moved to A10 went to championship game first year won 3 nit games losing to Cuse in quarters. .653 career at U of R. Left cupboard full.
And if someone can't see the difference between JB's tenure and Mooney's tenure than not sure where we begin with that.

Again all of this above was why every year he was here multiple major programs were after JB, it's probably been a decade since a major program has inquired about Mooney.

And if you are in an A-10 program like ours and the majors aren't inquiring about your coach on a regular basis, that should be sending up some pretty serious alarm bells.

This glosses over the fact that JB's 4th year had us as the first team out of the NCAA tournament because we were ineligible for the CAA tournament. We had won the league in the regular season.

The following year, our first in the A10 - he took us to the A10 final. An incredible achievement, given the A10 had Xavier and Temple in the league and wasn't yet the watered-down slop that it is now.

Said a different way, in 5 years JB took us to an NCAA tournament (round of 32), 2 NIT's and other year where we made the CAA Championship game and lost a close one to UNCW. If we were performing at this level now, the tenor of this board would be dramatically different and we wouldn't be giving away tickets like pizza hut coupons to fill the arena.

The comparison that I believe you are trying to make -- It's not even close.

Last edited:
Glad my post on John Beilein gendered so many comments. Again, I don ‘t really think we would have a chance at this, but understand that in my current state of apathy and frustration I just need some wild dreams to keep me going.
(By the way , take the amount of interest our current endowment generates annually and then tell me we don’t have the money to buy out CM’s contract!)

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Another widely known fact as well - schools were after JB, but JB and his agent were actively looking to get out Richmond as well. He wanted to climb the ladder - that what led to interviews with Wake, Rutgers, WVU, etc. But it goes both ways - schools will reach out to you if your successful - and if your successful, you can reach out to them. The key is - you have to be successful - which means NCAA tourney's.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I cannot like this enough!

I always thought JB had a knack of knowing when to leave UR and WVU and knowing his system had run its course. Then - when he got to Michigan early on - you could tell he was trying too much to run his system and get guys to fit his system - but when you get to the Big Ten, ACC, SEC level - you just need to get the best players possible. And once he did that - and let his players just play more, and use his system here and there - that is when he had success. Then I think 2 things happened to make him leave Michigan the NBA. 1) Future of college basketball. JB has always been a straight rules follower and he didn't like the future of NCAA with recruiting and NIL deals coming and paying players. I think he knew - he would have a hard time competing in that world. 2) Ego. All coaches that have success at that level have it and his just got the better of him. Never been assistant at any level. Success at every level. Lets go to the NBA and do the same thing. But in reality - I don't think the Cavs wanted him to succeed anyways. They were in essence tanking to load up their roster and turn it around, and I think JB was just a stop-gap to clean up the culture with his straight ways, but then lose a lot of games because he is a college coach and not an NBA coach. I think they were hoping it would have last 2-3 years and not 6 months, but I don't think the long-term plans were in his NBA future. But as JB is experiencing now - once your in the NBA community - you can bounce around the league as long as you want. Its just the same assistant coaches, head coaches, advisors, front office guys, etc just bouncing from team to team and job to job. He is not making as much as he did at Michigan, but pretty safe to say as well - he is not working nearly as hard either. So not a bad retirement gig in any shape or form.

"knowing his system has run its course"

That's a new one. How? I don't see or remember evidence of that at all. His teams had done very well and were loaded for future success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT