ADVERTISEMENT

How To Fix the Season

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
In the vein of positivity, I am giving Mooney a quick playbook on how to fix the season:

1 - Lineup, I did see another thread on this - some good suggestions. 1) Play Gilly 30-32 mins/game. Zay and Dji the rest. 2) Live and die with Zay and Dji. No sherod minutes, he is a 3 or 4. 3) Wing - Burton 20 minutes - rest go to crabtree/sherod/Dji - whoever wants it most and makes biggest impact 4) Start Cayo, let him know if he is not making an impact will grab some bench. If that is the case sman's 4 Burton slides over and Crab or Dji goes in at 3. 5) Golden, Grace subs in sparingly for load management only.
2 - Defense - Bring in a Dick Tarrant type consultant and cede some power to him or her to fix and emphasize. Sit your butt on the bench if you are a liability, until you can not be a liability. Gilly is a super weapon, consultant can provide HONEST feedback to him to balance going for steals vs playing position and help. Players want honest and constructive criticism.
3 - End of game - Use Burton, Use Burton. Run plays where he is going to the hoop, forces defense to help - easy layups, kick to three. Focus on this end game offense for 20 minutes each practice. Good time for Sherod or Crab to be waiting on perimeter for 3.
4 - Someone run the billboard - as I recall this was a galvanizing event - so much so that we went out and lost two out of three games. OK , that was a joke.
5. Don't worry about pretty and coddling, turn into the crazy Moon that will chew out the player when mistakes are made and hold accountable.
6. Get Goose Back.

OK, only had a few minutes between meetings, but this is a start. Moon - feel free to employ these suggestions, or just keep keeping on.

Note to the bigs: when the opponent first drives the lane to the hoop (early in the game), hammer the sh_t out of him. Make him feel the pain. Should send a message.

I think that would require an attitude and culture change. Mooney barely likes to press and only does it when he's desperate. Playing hard nosed D is just such a foreign concept.

Reactions: plydogg
spider fan - yes, sometimes situation calls for taking air out of the ball, but Mooney sets this tone too early and often. If you are playing Gonzaga or Purdue, yes calls for more. But we need to stay aggressive more, put the ball in Burton's hands. Coach up Gilly on running this end game offense with a purpose, not panic mode.

Ply - Run Steve Nash FT shooting drill for 10 minutes each practice - seems to work for some reason.

Reactions: spider fan
Note to the bigs: when the opponent first drives the lane to the hoop (early in the game), hammer the sh_t out of him. Make him feel the pain. Should send a message.
This right here. Set a tone that we aren't going to let them have easy buckets when they beat our D. Make them earn those points at the line if you get beat.

I think that would require an attitude and culture change. Mooney barely likes to press and only does it when he's desperate. Playing hard nosed D is just such a foreign concept.
Agree. But the thread is about how to fix the season, not what Mooney will do.

We almost always play better pressing. Run the hell out the ball and press press press. If I hear "Princeton Offense" one more time, I will vomit projectiles

these are D1 athletes. you think a hard foul sends some message? like he won't drive any more because he might get hard fouled? would you expect our guys to shake in fear if they get hard fouled? no, right? you'd expect them to drive again and get back to the line. so why do you think another D1 athlete would be different?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT