ADVERTISEMENT

Highest draft pick that Spiders closed out college career?

Section9.RowD

Team Manager
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2021
So Keegan just got drafted 4th .. Barkley was the 5th pick in '84.. does Keegan earn the honor of being our highest NBA draft victim or am I forgetting someone?

I hope he has a great career and 9 of out 10 college memories involve his final loss to Richmond.

So Keegan just got drafted 4th .. Barkley was the 5th pick in '84.. does Keegan earn the honor of being our highest NBA draft victim or am I forgetting someone?

I hope he has a great career and 9 of out 10 college memories involve his final loss to Richmond.
If he played us one time in the NCAA tournament, I feel like he would beat us zero times.

The win over Syracuse that sent Owens packing may well be to date the greatest win in Spider history - the first 15 seed over a 2 seed - and drew lots of attention to Spider basketball!

Everytime I think of the win over Syracuse, I think of those clutch FTs by freshman at the time Eugene Burroughs.
I think of Dick Tarrant and his ability to bring the best out of a team at the most critical time...he coached up a group special guys w/o a super star....Wood, Shields, Connally, Burroughs, Jarman etc....of all the NCAA victories on the "Giant Killers" resume this was the most unlikely...

winning the CAA Tournament over Lefty that year was pretty special too...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: Spider B
I think of Dick Tarrant and his ability to bring the best out of a team at the most critical time...he coached up a group special guys w/o a super star....Wood, Shields, Connally, Burroughs, Jarman etc....of all the NCAA victories on the "Giant Killers" resume this was the most unlikely...

winning the CAA Tournament over Lefty that year was pretty special too...

Go Spiders!
Dont' forget Curtis Blair :)

Well done, Sman, although when we beat Navy, it wasn't a close out game for Robinson.

Last edited:
Was in nose bleed seats for that game. The crowd getting behind the Spiders as it got closer and closer to the end and our victory was moving from improbable, to possible, to done deal was exhilarating!

Reactions: VT4700
Dont' forget Curtis Blair :)
Ha! A mind is a terrible thing to waste...how could I forget Curtis? Thanks for picking me up!

Was this the same year Curtis went length of the court at the buzzer to beat American U. in the semifinals of the CAA Tournament at the Richmond Coliseum? I believe it was either this season or 1990.

Go Spiders!

Ha! A mind is a terrible thing to waste...how could I forget Curtis? Thanks for picking me up!

Was this the same year Curtis went length of the court at the buzzer to beat American U. in the semifinals of the CAA Tournament at the Richmond Coliseum? I believe it was either this season or 1990.

Go Spiders!
78-70 over Anerican in the semis 1991. 91-90 OT over American in the semis 1990

I’m not sure I would call Wood & Blair not Superstars (at least by Spider standards). But the rest of the roster did seem very “lunch pail“ types…

David Robinson was the #1 overall pick in 1987.
So who is the #2 pick next year? And when do we play them?

Just like winning as 15,14,13,12. We need beating 1,2,3,4,5.

Do we beat #2 player as a #11 seed?

Go Spiders!
When he kind of bobbled the ball going up, got it back, and made the shot. That was awesome.

Reactions: mojo-spider
So who is the #2 pick next year? And when do we play them?

Just like winning as 15,14,13,12. We need beating 1,2,3,4,5.

Do we beat #2 player as a #11 seed?
Sounds good to me. Nick Smith is headed to Arkansas and will likely be a top 5 pick next year. So, give Arkansas a 6 seed, us an 11, and let's see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT