ADVERTISEMENT

High Noon Fordham Game

I feel the need to add, despite this rough patch and reduced minutes I noticed Nelson staying engaged and cheering on the guys while on the bench. Not always the case in this type of situation so I was happy to see it.
Agree … JayNel had a better game imo regardless of the headliner stat than Bonnie on Wed night

I got it from Dji but not sure where others are getting it from. Def agree with you too…shhh let’s not tell everyone that😀 not being the end all be all bc it can be misleading or unfair in some cases.
Thx my guess is SouthJersey got it from the non mobile live stats. Just surprised there is not a site that has it (unlikely) and/or nobody on here knows of one. Then separately surprised team tracks & publicizes it live but then keeps it private thereafter.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
It's like our PR team doesn't let any broadcasters into the RC without having them pinky swear to bring up the all-time winningest coach and wedding planner stuff.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Thx my guess is SouthJersey got it from the non mobile live stats. Just surprised there is not a site that has it (unlikely) and/or nobody on here knows of one. Then separately surprised team tracks & publicizes it live but then keeps it private thereafter.
Correct G. Find out by accident going back one game and seeing nothing in box showing +/-. After game ends once you close the screen it's gone. Search a few places but no luck. If you find a site that keeps it, let me know. Thanks.

Like any stat it is not the end all be all but it does have some merit. 100% in agreement.

Box Plus Minus seems to be the closest thing that is available. Sort of the equivalent of WAR in baseball. Noyes is our leader at 19.6, obviously grossly inflated by his limited time. Burton is next at 4.8, Quinn at 3.6, Grace at 2.6, Roche 1.7.

Uh oh, I'm going to get a bowl of popcorn and watch this board melt down.

* Sellout crowd.

* Double-digit win.

* Board whipping boy Matt Grace with a career-high 21 points.

* Defense holds Fordham's best player to only five points and one garbage-time basket.
Sellout crowd - The answer to this is UR gave a ton of tickets to elementary school kids. Definitely seemed like 1/3 of the fans were kids and they got into the game especially the scream-o-meter. There were also a few recruits in the building and an entire high school team. Good way to fill the building at an odd time and I have no problem with it.

Not sure about the whipping boy comment. I think MFG is pretty popular on the Forum, but he wasn’t playing that well of late. Glad he saved it all up for his “birthday breakout”because the Spiders needed it.
And plenty of points especially last few minutes from FT line but only 28% (12-43) of shots were 3PTAs. Shot 50% but doesn't mean attempt more.
These two things go hand in hand. The Spiders did not resort to jacking up 3s and decided to take it to the basket and get fouled. The other thing this did which no one has mentioned is getting Fordham in foul trouble with 2 players fouling out and a third with 4 fouls. I can only think of one opponent fouling out this entire conference season. I am sure someone will fact check this.

Also the last 7 minutes Mooney barely made any lineup change since these guys(Dji, Goos, Bigelow, Burton and Grace) had rallied the team.
Seems like CM has done this a number of times this season and I think it is his preference. Fortunately, the right guys were on the floor this time around.

All in all a win is exactly what the Spiders needed. Hope they can now string a number together and get this ship moving in the right direction (that’s for you Hardt).

Go Spiders!

Grace is popular as a student/athlete, as he's been a great representative of our program. However, he's been ripped up and down here as a player. One person said this was only his third good game in five years in the program.

Grace is popular as a student/athlete, as he's been a great representative of our program. However, he's been ripped up and down here as a player. One person said this was only his third good game in five years in the program.
And, no one said a word about it. Just imagine if I would have said that about one of our players. Grace, Nelson, and Goose have been ripped all year on here, but I am the one who gets 50 nasty replies for my opinion. Laughable.

How many turnovers? I've lost count. Why is Nelson in the game? Can't pass, can't shoot, and I don't see much defense. Needs points, Roche has taken root on the bench...
Wow. So, this is acceptable on here? I guess I need to learn how to say things without getting 50 nasty replies?

My god, narcissism is unbounded. 5 individual posts in 5 minutes, all making oneself the center of every post as if each post a giant swath of UR fans make about a game or their own opinions are a referendum on you.

You seem not to understand that the reason fans hate your posts is that you've overextended any line of credit that is naturally afforded. It's called benefit of the doubt. You lost it a long, long time ago. Thus, there is no patience for your opinions.

Nothing on here about the team is about you, yet your persecution complex tries to spin each one like a personal attack.

I've long learned that the way people write is generally what they're like in real life, a mirror to their personality. You might try looking in that mirror before you post.

My god, narcissism is unbounded. 5 individual posts in 5 minutes, all making oneself the center of every post as if each post a giant swath of UR fans make about a game or their own opinions are a referendum on you.

You seem not to understand that the reason fans hate your posts is that you've overextended any line of credit that is naturally afforded. It's called benefit of the doubt. You lost it a long, long time ago. Thus, there is no patience for your opinions.

Nothing on here about the team is about you, yet your persecution complex tries to spin each one like a personal attack.

I've long learned that the way people write is generally what they're like in real life, a mirror to their personality. You might try looking in that mirror before you post.
Thanks for making my point for me. But, yes, with 5 posts or whatever in 5 minutes, I think my point was obvious. And, plenty more examples out there. Reading the first few pages of this thread.....it's just unreal. Same crap every game. Criticizing players is obviously acceptable around here, unless I do a much much less version of it. Then, all heck breaks loose. And, what you don't seem to understand is this line of credit and benefit of the doubt you are talking about only shows how biased and judgemental people can be. Why you are proud of that and have no issue admitting that is strange. I would not want to be known that way. Yes, what people write is sometimes who they are. Maybe you need the mirror?

Last edited:
1) Well, we didn’t get Bigs on #1, so I guess that’s a miss but he did get 25 mins and Quinn got 16. Check?
2) only shot 12 3s, seems way better. Check.
3) I only recall a couple of rushed end of clock shots, and no clock shot violations. Check.
4) Bigs only fired up one 3pt shot. Check.

I’ll take that until it stops working.
1. I also like Bigs getting more minutes than Quinn. We need offense, so I would try Randolph, Goose, Tyler, Bigs, and Grace, which still would be a solid defensive group, with Roche getting good minutes when he is healthy. Randolph continues to impress me, and I think he could have a lot of 10+ scoring games for us if he consistently got 20+ minutes. Dji did okay, but if we are being honest and unbiased, the bottom line was 2 points, 0 assists, and 1 rebound in 17 minutes. If we are allowed to have different opinions, I just don't see the impact some of you do, but no worries. I think Randolph and Goose impact games more than some of you might, and I think Grace impacts the game a whole lot more than a few of you on here, so it is fine to disagree here.
2. Only shot 12 3s because Roche only got 3 minutes, and Tyler only took one 3. We won, and that is all that matters, but we only had 55 points with 3 minutes left. We have to find more offense, and we'll definitely need 3s at some point. And, the biggest shot of the game might have been Goose's 3 that cut it from 11 down to 8 down. I think it is fair to say our holding them to 4-18 from 3 was more important than saying we won because we only shot 12 3s. But, can we count on teams shooting 22% from 3 against us? And, even with that, we were only tied with 3 minutes left. But, for this game, no complaints, and great to get a win. Just thinking about what we need if we want to make some noise in March.
3. Agree.
4. Agree.

Again, the win is all that matters, but I think it would be one thing if we checked all of your boxes, led from start to finish, and won convincingly, but we trailed from the 12:00 mark in the 1st half until the 3 minute mark in the 2nd half, including by 11 at one point. So, again, the win is the main thing and all that matters, but I'm not sure everything clicked today, and we still have a lot of work to do offensively. I would say holding them to 4-18 from 3 and going 12-12 at the FT line the last 3+ minutes is what won the game for us.

Last edited:
Wood--it's really only one guy, and that poster is only happy when he's typing something denigrating, degrading, misogynistic, or when it applies to traveling inside the limits of any city in the country, arguably racist. You just have to ignore it.

1. I also like Bigs getting more minutes than Quinn. We need offense, so I would try Randolph, Goose, Tyler, Bigs, and Grace, which still would be a solid defensive group, with Roche getting good minutes when he is healthy. Randolph continues to impress me, and I think he could have a lot of 10+ scoring games for us if he consistently got 20+ minutes. Dji did okay, but if we are being honest and unbiased, the bottom line was 2 points, 0 assists, and 1 rebound in 17 minutes. If we are allowed to have different opinions, I just don't see the impact some of you do, but no worries. I think Randolph and Goose impact games more than some of you might, and I think Grace impacts the game a whole lot more than a few of you on here, so it is fine to disagree here.
2. Only shot 12 3s because Roche only got 3 minutes, and Tyler only took one 3. We won, and that is all that matters, but we only had 55 points with 3 minutes left. We have to find more offense, and we'll definitely need 3s at some point. And, the biggest shot of the game might have been Goose's 3 that cut it from 11 down to 8 down. I think it is fair to say our holding them to 4-18 from 3 was more important than saying we won because we only shot 12 3s. But, can we count on teams shooting 22% from 3 against us? And, even with that, we were only tied with 3 minutes left. But, for this game, no complaints, and great to get a win. Just thinking about what we need if we want to make some noise in March.
3. Agree.
4. Agree.

Again, the win is all that matters, but I think it would be one thing if we checked all of your boxes, led from start to finish, and won convincingly, but we trailed from the 12:00 mark in the 1st half until the 3 minute mark in the 2nd half, including by 11 at one point. So, again, the win is the main thing and all that matters, but I'm not sure everything clicked today, and we still have a lot of work to do offensively. I would say holding them to 4-18 from 3 and going 12-12 at the FT line the last 3+ minutes is what won the game for us.
Not everything clicked to be sure. My recipe isn’t necessarily the one for success, just my personal bugaboos about things I see that drive me a bit nuts.

It just so happened that what I hoped for mostly happened and we pulled out a W. So again, I’ll take that until it doesn’t work.

Reactions: VT4700
I am a fan of Jaynel 💯.
Me too. He has had a tough stretch lately, but he certainly hasn't had a lot of help offensively. He drives and there is usually congestion in the lane because our outside shooting hasn't been great. He doesn't play alongside another guard who can score. We have a bunch of new guys, and we only have 1 consistent scorer right now. He did force some things at times, but there was probably the added pressure of us needing scoring from him when little else was working. Even though his percentage from 3 is not good, I think his stroke looks good and will improve over time. I am not close to ready to say he can't get it done for us.

hype and expectations were way too high for a guy playing in his first year after a redshirt and a covid season. he's got to put a lot of work in this summer. I'm hopeful.

hype and expectations were way too high for a guy playing in his first year after a redshirt and a covid season. he's got to put a lot of work in this summer. I'm hopeful.

Nelson still has a high ceiling imo. Mooney played him as the starter mins wise in 1st half even tho he came off bench. Some will say that's bc Dji had 2 fouls. But we have zero reason to protect anyone in foul trouble not named Burton. Maybe Goose for D reasons. It's not like anyone really fouls out either. So don't really buy that. Protecting guys who get 2 fouls who don't get really heavy mins is an overrated coaching tactic imo. So I was a little surprised at the PG mins distro in 1st half, tilted so much to Nelson, given the recent lineup change. It was almost like he was trying to get Nelson reestablished. But then we were clearly not performing well as a team (+/-) when he was in there, for whatever the reason, and then in 2nd half same thing. And Mooney was like well enough of that can't risk again. And it was Dji or just Goose/randolph all of back end of 2nd half which was working. Next game could be different just what I saw w Fordham.

Nelson still has a high ceiling imo. Mooney played him as the starter mins wise in 1st half even tho he came off bench. Some will say that's bc Dji had 2 fouls. But we have zero reason to protect anyone in foul trouble not named Burton. Maybe Goose for D reasons. It's not like anyone really fouls out either. So don't really buy that. Protecting guys who get 2 fouls who don't get really heavy mins is an overrated coaching tactic imo. So I was a little surprised at the PG mins distro in 1st half, tilted so much to Nelson, given the recent lineup change. It was almost like he was trying to get Nelson reestablished. But then we were clearly not performing well as a team (+/-) when he was in there, for whatever the reason, and then in 2nd half same thing. And Mooney was like well enough of that can't risk again. And it was Dji or just Goose/randolph all of back end of 2nd half which was working. Next game could be different just what I saw w Fordham.
We rank #346 in 2-foul participation, which means we are almost the most conservative team in the county when it comes to keeping players with 2 fouls on the floor in the 1st half.

We rank #346 in 2-foul participation, which means we are almost the most conservative team in the county when it comes to keeping players with 2 fouls on the floor in the 1st half.

thx that's nuts. I don't get it. I guess I shoudn't have been surprised given that Mooney stat but I still was bc not right move there imo.

I didn’t realize there was a stat for that but found it a bit crazy when Jaynel said out the last 17 or 18 min of first half at GMU after the two quick fouls …

Reactions: urfan1
I don't think most Spider fans are saying or thinking that Nelson is a bust. To think he would step right into a 30+mpg role and lead us to where we want to be was obviously a step too far though.

To me it's clear he has talent and I think he can be a winner here. But it seems like he's trying to do too much so often (probably a combination of expectations he put on himself, as well as expectations by the fans and also by the coaching staff) and he ends up over dribbling, driving into trouble, putting us in late shot clock mode, etc.

Never really understood the “must sit on 2 fouls” mentality. At the end of the day, if they’re out of the game because you’ve benched them or because they’ve fouled out is the same, they aren’t playing and you’re playing someone less productive, in theory at least.

I was going to point this out, Mooney always takes the guy out in 1st half with 2 fouls.
It’s an ok notion and most coaches do this, but it sort of begs the question of why. I guess there’s some belief they have to play soft not to get a third foul.

My logic sort of is just play hard until you’re out. If I’m going to your sub anyway, I don’t care a ton if that’s in the first or the second half.

I didn’t realize there was a stat for that but found it a bit crazy when Jaynel said out the last 17 or 18 min of first half at GMU after the two quick fouls …
People on here say I never get on Mooney, but I have shared plenty of examples where I disagreed with him. This is one of those. My thoughts are maybe take a guy out with 2 fouls and then see how the team is doing. If we are struggling, let's get the guy with 2 fouls back in there. If he picks up his 3rd, that's okay....you get 5. But, many times a guy will sit with 2 fouls and never even pick up his 3rd, but at the end of the game, he only played 25 minutes because of sitting so much in the 1st half. And, I wouldn't sit my PG out the final 17 minutes of the half.

The 346 in the country stat is crazy, but my guess is there might not be that much difference in maybe the bottom 50% of this because Mooney is certainly not alone when it comes to sitting guys the rest of the 1st half with 2 fouls. I know Tony Bennett does it as well, and as much as I think he is great coach, I have disagreed with him there as well.

I was going to point this out, Mooney always takes the guy out in 1st half with 2 fouls.
Always...at least for the last 3 yrs anyway. I've seen every player on the team if they collected two fouls come sit. Coaches across the country do this more often than not. Just saw it the other night in UNC vs dookies, Hubert sat RJ when he got his 2nd in 1st half even when all UNC fans know he has to be on the floor.

It’s an ok notion and most coaches do this, but it sort of begs the question of why. I guess there’s some belief they have to play soft not to get a third foul.

My logic sort of is just play hard until you’re out. If I’m going to your sub anyway, I don’t care a ton if that’s in the first or the second half.
I get that too. Fordham played timid in the 2nd when several of the bigs got into foul trouble and I think that def took away their aggressiveness to an extent. I did it too as a school coach, so I'm guilty of it. I would love to see a stat of the impact of those decisions and how they paid off or if they didn't.

Reactions: nathanw19
what is likely on any coach's mind after a relatively quick second foul is that you don't know when that next is coming down. It might not be until 5 minutes left in the game or it might be on the very next play so having three fouls at either of those junctures means very different things. Seems to just be the commonly accepted practice amongst coaches, I don't get too worked up about it one way or the other.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT