ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Mo - Jersey Shore

Jwilk2

Starter
Jan 13, 2009
Back on-line from Jersey Shore after Sandy. 12 days without power, 15 without internet. Want you to check out a UTube "Hurricane Sandy - Sea Bright", 12 minutes of stills. Your old hangout is named "Woodys" and managed to surrvive. Not pretty, Donovans is a pile of lumber.

glad you are back up, have been there, done that and know it is no fun at all. hope all else is intact as well. it sure makes one appreciate what is taken for granted every day.

welcome back, have been without before but not that long. Best wish to you and others, will continue to send you monaey the best I can.

Wilk, i'm sorry you went through that and hope you didn't have much property loss.

My folks had water up to the base of their house on Blades Run Drive in Shrewsbury and lost a few trees, but made out OK. I think they lost power for about a week.

I saw the images of Sea Bright and they were pretty stunning.

Do you live in Shrewsbury?

Thanks, in the scheme of things I did OK..Yes in Shrewsbury, on Park Ave, off of Sycamore.

We lived on West End Ave until I was 7. I took trumpet lessons from Mr Luckenbill, who I believe still lives on Crest Drive for a number of years.

I was also friends with Scott Stump and his younger brother, whose name is now escaping me. They lived on Park. Scott now writes for the APP.

Jwilk - glad you are ok. We have all become so accustomed to electricity, electronics, instant communication, and all that goes with it that disruption, particularly prolonged, hits us hard, Main blessing is to come out physically unscathed.

I can't get over the devastation on the Shore that I've seen on the TV and internet. I grew up in Little Silver, went to Markham Place Elementary and RBR for HS. Looks like all my old haunting grounds are gone - most notably that old dive, Donovan's Reef. Heard that Little Silver got hit hard along the Shrewsbury River where we lived but that is nothing compared to Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach. Will they be able to re-build the beach clubs down there? What a shame.

Saw Mo's reference to Mr. Luckenbill. I actually used to take trumpet lessons from his father when I was in the 3rd/4th/5th grade...Mr. Luckenbill was the band director for the Little Silver public schools at the time. He lived over on Queens Drive if I recall. I think old man Luckenbill died everal years back, but I do recall his son (I think I had a few trumpet lessons with him when he was still an undegrad at Michigan). I gave up the trumpet by end of 5th grade, but still have memories of those days.

Wishing everybody back home on the Shore the very best, especially those living in the Two Rivers area...I haven't been back in years, but would like to visit with my family by Spring if possible.

AZ, my boys went to both schools (small world), did u look at the UTube? As for the beach clubs, they are basically all gone. Some portions of Surfrider may have surrvivied,, other than that. none.. As we say, "Jersey Strong". Thanks for all the support. Folks up here are very appreciative of the response from other americans across the nation.. Its still hard to come to grips with the fact that hundreds/thousands of familys have permamently lost their homes and are living in shelters.

really feel for you guys, lived in new orleans before katrina and when i went back for the first time, have to admit, was speechless and had tears in my eyes but each year i have gone back things have gotten better and better. it takes time, some things can never be replaced but you guys are tough up there and you will survive and things will get better and better for you and those who lost everything. rest assured that the entire country is with all of you in our hearts and in our wallets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT