ADVERTISEMENT

Hall of Fame Coaching

8legs

Star
Apr 5, 2004
Did this post title catch your attention?
No, not talking about our coach. But more on that in a second.

A couple weeks ago I was watching a UNC game on TV. Now I know there are those on this board that dislike UNC in general and Roy Williams in particular. Well, that's fine. But when UNC's pre-season player of the year in the ACC took two straight ill-advised shots, Roy pulled him out, gave him an earful on his way to the bench and when he was finished with him he pointed to assistant coach Steve Robinson who continued the "lesson" while Roy returned to coaching the team on the floor using a bench player in a critical situation. Like him or not, that's coaching.
On the other hand, when our leading scorer is in the midst of a zero point half in a critical game despite the fact that he's continuing to chuck them up from the cheap seats, no change is made even though he's shooting us out of the game. Even when he picks up a second foul and his seldom used sub (Wilson) comes into the game, looks the best he's looked all year, scores 5 points in 3 minutes and gets a steal and a rebound, the sub is relegated to the bench never to see the light of the court again. Then our 23 year old, 5th year senior, experienced leading scorer finally figures out 3/4 of the way through the game that maybe if my shot isn't falling I should try taking it to the basket instead, all without the benefit of any coaching.
And when our tired center needs a rest, in comes a guy who is at best an average DIII player who can't score, can't rebound, can't defend, can't block shots and who fouls at least one of every opponents position players. Why this guy gets minutes rather than one of our highest recruited players is a coaching mystery. Maybe his hair-do reminds him of GG. Poor SK is out of position at the "5", BUT he can score, he rebounds and he blocks shots. Moreover, when our highly athletic starter sophomore is being a no-show at both ends of the floor SK is not given minutes at his natural position.
Covid-19! (Won't bother us as much as others because of our experience!)
Rusty!
Little practice!
Tired Legs!
Protocols!
Had shots we just didn't make!
Should have used the bench more!
Why use a timeout when we get a free one in two more minutes?

Don't look now, but our rival is bigger, stronger, more athletic and younger than "our best team ever" at every position. And their best player played with a bad leg and a hip-pointer. The whole darn team played. Predicted ninth, in first.
Predicted first....
Hmmm! Couldn't possibly be coaching?

ps Pulling for our guys to turn it around, win the rest and make the NCAA tournament. Feel sorry for their plight the past two years. Get mad and mean boys!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT