ADVERTISEMENT

Goose is Back

See Toledo thread - should have figured SF spider would post this 2 hour old news by the time I found it long before I did!

See Toledo thread - should have figured SF spider would post this 2 hour old news by the time I found it long before I did!

Good thought anyway spider fan. The news can sometimes get lost in other threads although it was applicable to that one too. And 2 hours post behind SF is really not bad. he'd probably be 2 hours behind u running a marathon. A push.

Reactions: spider fan
Certainly these days I'd be 2 hours behind just about anyone. Always hated running, and I've never done more than a half...and that was over 15 years ago. I stick to the pool.

Reactions: urfan1
Thanks for encouragement GK! Keeping it all in perspective - still running the half - but the time I take for the half is about the same as I used to be able to run the full..................and SF the pool is great exercise! Your nose for Spider news is at the forefront.

Reactions: SFspidur and urfan1
Thanks for encouragement GK! Keeping it all in perspective - still running the half - but the time I take for the half is about the same as I used to be able to run the full..................and SF the pool is great exercise! Your nose for Spider news is at the forefront.
Spider fan hats off to you for your race day showings, the hours, effort, energy -- proud of ya guy

Reactions: spider fan
Thanks fan1 - most kind! Have been blessed to meet many fine fellow runners over the years. The camaradrie keeps you going.................And I'll throw in a plug here - for the nonprofit Richmond Sports Backers a terrific organization staffed by fine people.

Reactions: urfan1
Glad Goose is back, but given we have a long shot at the at-large bid at this point, and we are playing some younger guys. Might be a good idea to limit Goose's minutes, ease him back to rotation, and then maybe use him as much as needed for A10 tourney - as that is where we will need our depth to make a run. Last thing we need is what happened last year - late in the year injuries and then unable to make A10 tourney run.

Glad Goose is back, but given we have a long shot at the at-large bid at this point, and we are playing some younger guys. Might be a good idea to limit Goose's minutes, ease him back to rotation, and then maybe use him as much as needed for A10 tourney - as that is where we will need our depth to make a run. Last thing we need is what happened last year - late in the year injuries and then unable to make A10 tourney run.
+1, I don't know why you'd push Goose back into lineup any earlier than needed. If he was materially better than any other option at 2/3 then perhaps that's a good reason to press him into service but I'd definitely be holding him out until he's 100% healthy and/or disinterested in the possibility of a redshirt year.

+1, I don't know why you'd push Goose back into lineup any earlier than needed. If he was materially better than any other option at 2/3 then perhaps that's a good reason to press him into service but I'd definitely be holding him out until he's 100% healthy and/or disinterested in the possibility of a redshirt year.
And more minutes to the younger guys only helps us later this year and next year.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
A defender who does his all to get down the court and stop a fast break and willing to take contact is a rare commodity on this team. Go Goose!

We need to start winning -- and beating teams by 20+ -- if we have any hope of getting attention and/or moving up in the NET significantly. Margin of victory does matter. If we squeak by some of the teams left on our schedule, it's not going to do a damn thing for us.

Kenpom likes us and the committee uses offensive and defensive efficiency rankings as part of the process. He has us at 62 overall, with a 40 offensive efficiency and a 100 defensive efficiency, and a SOS of 48. Considering we are 5-4, these numbers are pretty good right now, with plenty of games and time to make them even better. The offenses we have played have an efficiency ranking of 24, so while our defense has been below average at times, we have played some of the top offenses out there. No, I am not happy being 5-4 right now, but the season is far from over. Get on me all you want, but I still feel like everything is right there for us. We just have to go get it.

Reactions: plydogg
Kenpom likes us and the committee uses offensive and defensive efficiency rankings as part of the process. He has us at 62 overall, with a 40 offensive efficiency and a 100 defensive efficiency, and a SOS of 48. Considering we are 5-4, these numbers are pretty good right now, with plenty of games and time to make them even better. The offenses we have played have an efficiency ranking of 24, so while our defense has been below average at times, we have played some of the top offenses out there. No, I am not happy being 5-4 right now, but the season is far from over. Get on me all you want, but I still feel like everything is right there for us. We just have to go get it.
Pretty sure if we don't make it this year, we will next. Right?

I’m not sure what your definition is of “everything is right there for us” but at least one metrics service has us at 0.1% chance of an at large. I don’t think that’s right there for us, pretty sure the at large ship has sailed barring a miracle. Maybe A10 regular season champions or A10 tournament champions as we haven’t Sunk our chances there.

The team has to play up to its potential, now, and maintain it.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I’m not sure what your definition is of “everything is right there for us” but at least one metrics service has us at 0.1% chance of an at large. I don’t think that’s right there for us, pretty sure the at large ship has sailed barring a miracle. Maybe A10 regular season champions or A10 tournament champions as we haven’t Sunk our chances there.

The 0.1% is based on us finishing 21-10. We have played 9 games, and have 22 left. The A-10 regular season hasn't even started yet, so, yes, everything is still right there for us.

That same metrics service also has us as the highest rated A-10 team right now.

• Love
Reactions: plydogg
Our margin for error is gone. By not closing out any of the four games we blew down the stretch, we really can't afford another OOC loss and really need to win all but maybe 2 A10 games to be on the bubble. This is not where anyone, including Mooney supporters, expected to be 9 games in. And the issue is that the same issues that have been issues for years are still there. The odds are stacked against us thanks to the team not being ready to go from the start of the season.

Our margin for error is gone. By not closing out any of the four games we blew down the stretch, we really can't afford another OOC loss and really need to win all but maybe 2 A10 games to be on the bubble. This is not where anyone, including Mooney supporters, expected to be 9 games in. And the issue is that the same issues that have been issues for years are still there. The odds are stacked against us thanks to the team not being ready to go from the start of the season.
This is hyperbole. We do not need to be a minimum of 25-6 to be on the bubble.

Reactions: VT4700
We might. The league sucks. But more importantly, was our goal with the most experienced team in NCAA history to be on the bubble? With capable leadership, a team with this much talent should have been in the mix for a top-8 seed in the NCAAs at least, not sweating it out nine games in to get on the bubble.

As most of us realize, if Mooney can't get this team solidly into the tournament, he will never get another team in. Ever.

We might. The league sucks. But more importantly, was our goal with the most experienced team in NCAA history to be on the bubble? With capable leadership, a team with this much talent should have been in the mix for a top-8 seed in the NCAAs at least, not sweating it out nine games in to get on the bubble.

As most of us realize, if Mooney can't get this team solidly into the tournament, he will never get another team in. Ever.
You are over the top!

It’s hard to know right now. We were 24-7 and on the bubble two years ago with arguably better wins and a stronger A10. So I don’t know that 25-6 is hyperbole, it seems pretty close given our current performance and current a10 performance.

I disagree. We don't have a lot of opportunities for quad 1 wins now and have lots of opportunities for quad 3 and 4 losses in a down A10. Plus, history tells us CM will lose some games we should win. We simply can't afford that now after pisssing away opportunities in November. There is no sense of urgency around this program and it's probably going to cost us big time this year.

The 0.1% is based on us finishing 21-10. We have played 9 games, and have 22 left. The A-10 regular season hasn't even started yet, so, yes, everything is still right there for us.
I think you’re being overly generous, at least in so far as at large potential goes. That ship has pretty much sailed even with 22 games left. We probably have to go no worse than 18-4, beat SBU and not lose to any Q3/Q4 dogs to sniff at large. I don’t think that’s realistic given what we’ve done to date.

But perhaps you’re just speaking generically that there’s a lot of basketball left. So sure, that’s right there for us, along with all 350+ other teams out there.

I don’t want to get into what we need to do. Other than take each game one at a time.

But I will ask, I wonder what percentage different posters would give us of starting the A-10 Tournament at 24-7 or better?

I bet it would be quite a range…

Last edited:
I don’t want to get into what we need to do. Other than take each game one at a time.

But I will ask, I wonder what percentage different posters would give us of starting the A-10 Tournament at 24-7 of better?

I bet it would be quite a range…

I would bet the under there. Sure we may go on a run and have a hell of a lot of talent, but betting on any team to go 19-3 is a tough bet to sell

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT