ADVERTISEMENT

Golden working out for the Lakers today

I don't see how Burton would get those guarantees before the draft. I don't think anyone would tell him, " if you are there at pick 50 or whatever, we are taking you", and not only that, they certainly can't guarantee a one year salary pre draft. The feedback he can get might tell a guy in his position he *could" get picked in the 2nd round, and give him an idea of the chances of getting drafted, but that's about it.

I think his best hope if he enters the draft is a Kyle Guy type situation. Guy was projected either late 2nd round or undrafted. He bet on himself, and stayed in the draft, got taken late 2nd round, and is now on his 2nd two way contract of his career, making some pretty good cash, and seeing some time in the NBA.
here's an article alleging a current kid has a guarantee, and implying it's happened before.

here's an article alleging a current kid has a guarantee, and implying it's happened before.
Not sure why you copied my post for this. Oklahoma City has done this with 1st round picks. I said I don't think anyone would make a guarantee to Tyler, with where I think his position is right now.

we promise to draft you = we promise to draft you if the draft goes exactly as we planned & nobody drops that we didn’t expect to drop.

How many times do you hear “but they said they’d draft me” coming out of nfl picks or other pro sports drafts. All the time.

there r way more promises reneged than promises kept.

Not sure why you copied my post for this. Oklahoma City has done this with 1st round picks. I said I don't think anyone would make a guarantee to Tyler, with where I think his position is right now.
replied to your post for reference. I said for Burton to stay in the draft I think he'd need a guarantee. he might not need it, and he might not get it. I'd personally need it in his case as he has a great situation to come back to here.

I just happened to see this example yesterday. if a player is on the fence about staying in a draft or going back to school, a team might give you that guarantee. it's probably not commonplace but it happens.

A stretch 4… 😂 Who’s NOT a stretch 4 in todays NBA? He’s 6’11… why wouldn’t he be big enough to be a 5?
I can’t think of where Grant would play on an NBA team either. He can’t defend anywhere on the floor, he misses a ton of layups and stick backs, has no consistent outside shot from any distance, and doesn’t shoot free throws very well. He is a better than average passer.

I can’t think of where Grant would play on an NBA team either. He can’t defend anywhere on the floor, he misses a ton of layups and stick backs, has no consistent outside shot from any distance, and doesn’t shoot free throws very well. He is a better than average passer.
Grant is a 4 time All-A10 player who is much better than you give him credit for. It will be hard for him to make the NBA, but no impossible. I expect him to have a very productive pro career in whichever league he plays.

Grant is a 4 time All-A10 player who is much better than you give him credit for. It will be hard for him to make the NBA, but no impossible. I expect him to have a very productive pro career in whichever league he plays.
We will see.

They play defense in the NBA?

Yes, agree sman. Have seen the Celtics and Heat really focused on D. Milwaukee and Dallas too. Common theme among the playoff finalists. I would like to see us more focused on defensive end. VCU's success under Smart was built on defense and took them far and kept them relevant for years. Mooney had the match up as his calling card, but was very slow to adjust so years we didn't have an elite offense we have no chance. I'm a little afraid this year if we see Roche and Quinn both playing big minutes, we seem to have gone to a straight man, and hopefully we will have the defenders to be good on that side of the ball.

Not 100% certain about how this works in the nba so looking for some clarity. With the draft tonight will Gilyard and golden sign udfa immediately following the draft and join summer league teams?

You can always tell someone who doesn't watch the NBA. It is great basketball and as you said on a completely different level than college. The Heat and the Celtics this year, good lord they played some outstanding defense.
my favorite are the guys who talk about how bad the NBA is now ... and then say it's so bad they stopped watching after the 90's!

Celtics get messy on offense sometimes, but yeah they bring the D every game. Warriors defend like crazy too. makes sense they met in the finals.

And yes Warriors were pretty good defensively. Wiggins sure locked up Tatum in several of those games. Defense wins championships certainly applied this year.

Reactions: urfan1
As for Grant, watching a lot of NBA, I just don't see where he would fit in a NBA roster. In my mind, to make an NBA roster you need at least one skill that is at an elite level. Grant's best skill is his passing, but, I just don't see how he is going to defend NBA big men. He is not a good defender to begin with, centers would abuse him with their strength/size and he is not athletic enough to guard most NBA forwards.

But I certainly hope he does make a roster. I just see his game fitting more to playing overseas.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yeah, it will be tough sledding for him to get there, but who knows. He did look very good in that college all-star game. The physicality of the NBA will be very difficult for him because that is not a part of his game.
Grant's positives are his size and basketball IQ. I agree it will be very tough for him to get there, but like you said, who knows. Not every big that plays a little is super athletic. Some NBA 2nd unit guys play as little as 10 minutes a game. Other NBA guys make rosters and rarely play at all. Could Grant eventually make a roster and maybe even get in there for a few minutes and hold his own against some opposing 2nd team guys? Possibly. I doubt any team interested in him expects him to hang with an Embiid type. That is not always what NBA scouts are looking for. It is often as simple as can this guy help us at some point for a few minutes a game if we have injuries or something.

Grant's positives are his size and basketball IQ. I agree it will be very tough for him to get there, but like you said, who knows. Not every big that plays a little is super athletic. Some NBA 2nd unit guys play as little as 10 minutes a game. Other NBA guys make rosters and rarely play at all. Could Grant eventually make a roster and maybe even get in there for a few minutes and hold his own against some opposing 2nd team guys? Possibly. I doubt any team interested in him expects him to hang with an Embiid type. That is not always what NBA scouts are looking for. It is often as simple as can this guy help us at some point for a few minutes a game if we have injuries or something.
In fairness, there isn't really a center in the league that can hang with Embiid. The only thing that has stopped Embiid has been his long history of very untimely injuries.

Golden's NBA comp is Jokic.
I know that's like comparing any 6'6" wing to M Jordan!

but Jokic is not all that athletic. he doesn't seem laterally quick. but if you're super skilled and big enough ...

Reactions: gcarter52

but Jokic is not all that athletic. he doesn't seem laterally quick. but if you're super skilled and big enough ...
So you didn’t mean his NBA career comp, necessarily…

It is impressive how many NBA team tryouts Gilly and Golden made, along with making the NBA summer league teams. It shows that NBA teams think both have potential to play in the NBA, even if the odds are small. Regardless of how summer camp goes, they are both going to have long professional careers and I would not be surprised if that followed by successful coaching careers.

Their size, basketball IQ, and lack of great athletic ability is comparable, but Jokic has a 7'3 wingspan and a 9"3 standing reach. His length is crucial to his success. Plus, he is a career 34.5% shooter from 3 and 83% from the FT line.

Their size, basketball IQ, and lack of great athletic ability is comparable, but Jokic has a 7'3 wingspan and a 9"3 standing reach. His length is crucial to his success. Plus, he is a career 34.5% shooter from 3 and 83% from the FT line.
didn't know about the wing span. that's amazing. and that does matter. I don't know what Grant's is.
I forget who it was, but in the draft this year there was a 6'5.5" kid with a 7'2.5 wingspan. crazy.

Jokic was overlooked and drafted in the 2nd because everyone believed he wasn't athletic enough. they were wrong. with that length, his shooting, and his passing skills he became a star without the typical NBA athleticism.

Reactions: VT4700
I will say about Grant, he seemed to be very comfortable and making 3's early in the season. So I think he does have the natural skills to develop that. Of course the line is further out in the NBA and I would think Europe. But I do think he could develop that again. He lost confidence and went away from it, but it is not out of the realm that he could develop that part of his game more.

Grant might be the only active guy on the Hawks' summer league roster so far who's over 6'6". Hopefully that means he gets as much floor time as he can handle.

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT