ADVERTISEMENT

Golden working out for the Lakers today

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
While we've had our eyes on Burton, the other guys seem to have largely flown under the radar and they don't seem to be on draft boards anywhere that I've seen. But good to see Golden getting a workout with the Lakers.

I'd hate to see him end up with such a disaster of a franchise.
If he signs with the Lakers that means he was hand picked by Lebron. That’s a pretty serious honor whether you like the guy or not. I happen to dislike both him and the Lakers franchise

Reactions: WCUR11
If he signs with the Lakers that means he was hand picked by Lebron. That’s a pretty serious honor whether you like the guy or not. I happen to dislike both him and the Lakers franchise
Wonder if Keith Dambrot made sure Lebron saw a few of Grant's highlights ...

I was just making joke based on how terrible they've been this year. I actually like LeBron the dude. His front office management is proving to be less than stellar lately, though.

I was just making joke based on how terrible they've been this year. I actually like LeBron the dude. His front office management is proving to be less than stellar lately, though.
Oh, I thought you meant they were a disaster in the 80s & 90s…

Golden is not big enough or athletic enough to play down low in the NBA. His best hope - be a stretch 4 on a second unit. The only thing he has working for him with the Lakers - Golden will not get drafted, so he will be a cheap free agent signing - and the Lakers need cheap players, even at the end of the bench.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Charlotte is probably the safer of the two jobs, but Lakers has the biggest ceiling. When you have Lebron - anything is possible. People forget - they won the title in the bubble last year. They just need to find the right mix of role players, and when you have Lebron - you have a chance.
Imagine if Atkinson took over the Lakers and they win the title - that would put him on the NBA coaching map.

Issue with the Lakers - they got rid of their role players that were key. But that is the problem when you have Lebron and all your money sunk into three players. They will make the players around them better, but when they do - the next season, those role players will command bigger deals and they have to go where the money takes them. Meanwhile - the Lakers need to continue to find the right mix of veterans willing to take minimum deals with young guys still trying to prove themselves. And even then - its an uphill battle because your playing in the loaded West.

The Bucks won the title last year
I meant the shortened bubble year. 2020. Its not like they are that far removed from winning it all. Charlotte might have better long term potential - but your likely not competing for a title in Charlotte. Lakers - its boom or bust.

Golden can't worry at all about the situation he lands in. He just wants a shot.
Atkinson should worry more about the long term prospects but I'm not sure he's in the position to be choosy either.
Burton would have the tougher decision.

I don't think any UR player trying to make the NBA worries about the situation they land in. At that point - its all about getting paid. The projected league minimum salary next season is expected to be just over $1 million dollars. That means the guy on the end of the bench, who you never heard and never plays - he is taking down $1 million a year. And if you get 5 years experience in the league - you jump to 2 million. So yeah - they are not worrying about the landing spot - they are and should be worried about their bank accounts.

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
Burton has to consider the situation. he'll have a better chance of sticking on a roster on cetain teams.
for him to stay in the draft I think he'd need a guarantee of being picked in the 2nd and a guaranteed contract for at least one year if not two to forgo his remaining college eligibility.

while the minimum in the NBA is $925k ... if he's stashed in the G-League he makes comparatively nothing.

Burton has to consider the situation. he'll have a better chance of sticking on a roster on cetain teams.
for him to stay in the draft I think he'd need a guarantee of being picked in the 2nd and a guaranteed contract for at least one year if not two to forgo his remaining college eligibility.

while the minimum in the NBA is $925k ... if he's stashed in the G-League he makes comparatively nothing.
I don't see how Burton would get those guarantees before the draft. I don't think anyone would tell him, " if you are there at pick 50 or whatever, we are taking you", and not only that, they certainly can't guarantee a one year salary pre draft. The feedback he can get might tell a guy in his position he *could" get picked in the 2nd round, and give him an idea of the chances of getting drafted, but that's about it.

I think his best hope if he enters the draft is a Kyle Guy type situation. Guy was projected either late 2nd round or undrafted. He bet on himself, and stayed in the draft, got taken late 2nd round, and is now on his 2nd two way contract of his career, making some pretty good cash, and seeing some time in the NBA.

Golden can't worry at all about the situation he lands in. He just wants a shot.
Atkinson should worry more about the long term prospects but I'm not sure he's in the position to be choosy either.
Burton would have the tougher decision.
It's a great opportunity for Grant. If not this year, maybe next. And, there are always eyes on you. Just because he might be in a Lakers camp, does not mean other teams won't be interested. Bottom line is it certainly can't hurt to go to a camp and try to impress. Congrats to Grant.

Kenny has time to wait. He is very well respected and teams with openings will always consider him. If I were him, I would pick the Hornets over the Lakers. Hornets are a better team, have some young talent, and you wouldn't have to worry about getting fired after 1 year, unless piece of trash Kyrie shows up in Charlotte and runs you out of town.

Reactions: spider23
In the past - kids waited to get guarantees. But now - you can just see by the number of kids that declare and stick in the draft - those don't matter as much anymore. I think these kids are being told to bet on themselves, and worse case scenario - go to the G-League, and all it takes is 1 call up and you make money and get eyes on you. Or go to Europe, where if your a pretty good 1st year player - you can probably make close to 60-100K or more as a rookie, but remember - its tax free, so that is really like making 150-200K. Especially when you factor in most higher leagues take care of expenses for you.

I think Burton returns - unless a team he worksout with is really impressed and says we will take you if your there in 2nd round. But I don't see a team doing that. I think if Burton can come back, especially now that he has some help or should have help from the transfers - he could be a potential A10 POY candidate. He wins that award or gets close to it - he has better shot next season.

Reactions: WCUR11
I don't see how Burton would get those guarantees before the draft. I don't think anyone would tell him, " if you are there at pick 50 or whatever, we are taking you", and not only that, they certainly can't guarantee a one year salary pre draft.
thought I read something about guys getting told they'll be taken so stay in the draft, but maybe not.

2nd rounders these days almost always get guaranteed money. at least one year.
"The idea that it is only a smart move to head to the NBA as an underclassmen is when you are a first round pick is antiquated."

Golden won't play in the NBA anytime soon, but this is nice exposure for him and a good chance to be seen. He needs to get quicker and better defensively to have any chance of sniffing the league, though.

Reactions: SpiderK
thought I read something about guys getting told they'll be taken so stay in the draft, but maybe not.

"The idea that it is only a smart move to head to the NBA as an underclassmen is when you are a first round pick is antiquated."
But, most of the 2nd round guarantees come from guys that were borderline 1st round picks or in the top half of the 2nd round. Less than half of the guys picked 46-60 the last 6 drafts got guaranteed contracts.

Makes sense that more and more 2nd round kids get deals. When your paying the top players over the top - you need to round out your roster with cheap labor. And the cheapest labor you can find are rookies at 1 million per year. Cause if you take a veteran that has 5 years - your looking at 2 million minimum and that is just if they no good. So when your paying Lebron 44 million for 1 year (that is what he gets next season) you need some 1 million a year guys to get 12 guys on your roster.

Realistically Grant's ability to defend any position in the NBA is limited. Stretch 4? Who does he guard? And his age is prohibitive as well.

As mentioned, any sniff of the NBA is a good thing for Euro prospects (Paul Shirley's book mentions that over and over) and I think his game is a good fit for a Euro league.

Reactions: Zeeter
Exactly brooklyn - the more NBA workouts he attends, the better his resume in Europe looks. And I agree his age and defense are prohibitive factors. I think if he can become a knock down shooter from deep - maybe he can make a 2nd unit somewhere and play 10 minutes or ride the bench. Look at someone like Brook Lopez. That guy is bigger so can defend down low if he needs to - but he just floats on the 3 point line. He only attempted 31 three pointers in his first 8 seasons in the league. 2 years he got hurt, but other years he started most games. Then in his 9th season - he exploded and attempted 387 three pointers. And now makes a living on the 2nd unit shooting 3's when needed. I could see that type of role, with the right team for Grant. But he needs to get better elsewhere before an NBA team takes a look.

But consider where Grant has come from - its remarkable. He collapsed on the floor his frosh year. I remember being at that game, and thinking - I hope he is alright and thinking I am not sure he will or should ever play again with a heart issue. Then COVID hits, and I am sure there was some concern. But he kept playing and for the most part -stayed relatively healthy and had a nice career with a storybook ending.

Reactions: urfan1
But, most of the 2nd round guarantees come from guys that were borderline 1st round picks or in the top half of the 2nd round. Less than half of the guys picked 46-60 the last 6 drafts got guaranteed contracts.
huh? says in the article "In the past two seasons, every college player that was selected among the top 50 picks — a total of 30 of which came in the second round — received a guaranteed contract. Of those 30, 22 were given a two-year guaranteed deal."

the last pick of the 2nd round is #60. everyone up to #50 got guarantees. some after #50.

Reactions: plydogg
I said the last 6 years, since the article mentioned that. And, I mentioned "in Tyler's position" when talking about him. I don't think his position is a sure top 45 (or 50) pick. So, I think if he stays in the draft, he is doing so without any pre draft guarantees, which guys have done, and still made it (like my Kyle Guy example). I think Tyler's age might also be a factor in his decision. He might feel it better for him to enter the draft now at age 22 than next year at age 23, even if he has a chance to have a monster year here and be A-10 player of the year. Whatever he decides, I just wish him the best.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me - in the day and age of the super teams, if you get 2-3 superstars on your team with max deals, your going to need cheap players - even if just guys 9-12 on the roster. And teams that don't have max guys, might take chances on rookies or guys with less experience because it frees up money for big free agent signings and maybe you get lucky and find someone really good everyone else passed on.

Take the Lakers for example - they have had 10 players this year playing on league minimum deals. Only 1 rookie I think, but you can see how much those 3 big salaries eat up and why need cheap players.

the lakers r maxed out at the top more than most but having a % of low salary guys on roster applies to all the big pro sports w salary caps esp the nfl & nhl too.

Golden won't play in the NBA anytime soon, but this is nice exposure for him and a good chance to be seen. He needs to get quicker and better defensively to have any chance of sniffing the league, though.
I don't know...
The Lakers will need someone for Lebron to back up... ;)

Golden is not big enough or athletic enough to play down low in the NBA. His best hope - be a stretch 4 on a second unit. The only thing he has working for him with the Lakers - Golden will not get drafted, so he will be a cheap free agent signing - and the Lakers need cheap players, even at the end of the bench.
A stretch 4… 😂 Who’s NOT a stretch 4 in todays NBA? He’s 6’11… why wouldn’t he be big enough to be a 5?

... not being "big enough" is definitely not the problem as much as the lack of athleticism. Same problem Burton will have... He can't defend ANY position in rhe NBA

Here we go again. You can't be a true fan unless you are lock step with the pom-pom crowd. Just shout down anyone who doesn't agree with you, to hell with facts. God forbid someone has an opinion different from you, Greg. This reeks of politics...

Here we go again. You can't be a true fan unless you are lock step with the pom-pom crowd. Just shout down anyone who doesn't agree with you, to hell with facts. God forbid someone has an opinion different from you, Greg. This reeks of politics...
Can you find something else to complain about? I have my rights to my opinions like each of you. Seems like you reek politics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT