ADVERTISEMENT

Golden to University of Florida - Hovde to follow?

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
I have no knowledge of this, but wondering if anyone on the board has heard or should there be a concern Hovde packs up and follows Golden to Florida. I had hear rumors the main reason Hovde left San Fran was the cost of living out there and to get back to the East Coast as he is from PA. I believe he was associate head coach under Golden for 2 years, then left for UR to be just assistant - so in a sense a step down, but likely a step up in pay or equal when you factor how expensive San Fran is to live.

But now with Golden going to Florida, and needing to compile a staff - I wonder if Hovde gets a call.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I have no knowledge of this, but wondering if anyone on the board has heard or should there be a concern Hovde packs up and follows Golden to Florida. I had hear rumors the main reason Hovde left San Fran was the cost of living out there and to get back to the East Coast as he is from PA. I believe he was associate head coach under Golden for 2 years, then left for UR to be just assistant - so in a sense a step down, but likely a step up in pay or equal when you factor how expensive San Fran is to live.

But now with Golden going to Florida, and needing to compile a staff - I wonder if Hovde gets a call.
When I saw this headline I thought, My God, Grant is getting a seventh year!

Golden could have probably played a 7th year at LSU if their former coach was still there, but anywhere else would have been tough. Maybe Kentucky?

USF promoted from within (new head coach/former associate head coach Gerlufsen is a Macon grad), so Golden won't be just bringing his current guys along with him.

USF promoted from within (new head coach/former associate head coach Gerlufsen is a Macon grad), so Golden won't be just bringing his current guys along with him.
I think that makes it more likely Hovde gets a call. He is going to want someone familiar on his staff, and if the top guys stay at USF - maybe he calls Hovde to see how he likes Florida.

Sure he might. Hope he stays but if he leaves I understand it too. Had he never left San Fran he's probably now head coach. They elevated an assistant who was there just 1 year, a former Randy Mac player.

Sure he might. Hope he stays but if he leaves I understand it too. Had he never left San Fran he's probably now head coach. They elevated an assistant who was there just 1 year, a former Randy Mac player.
It's not productive to look back with regret, but yeah, if Hovde had stayed at USF, Gerlufsen doesn't join the staff, and Hovde would have been first in line to inherit the head job if USF wanted to go that route.

Don't know for sure if that's how it would have gone down (Gerlufsen has significantly more experience than Hovde, including 13 games as acting head coach at Hawaii a couple of years ago), but it's an interesting "what if."

Reactions: GKiller
It was a reason I always wondered why he left San Fran, but then I heard he wanted to get back East and of course the pay out there doesn't travel far with San Fran being so expensive. But I expected Golden to get a look at some point to move up, and then figured Hovde would have a shot - but you can only wait so long.

Heck assistant at Florida may have been Mooney landing spot had we lost to Rhody.

Reactions: SpiderK
Saw the coaching staff walking down Patterson Ave today around lunchtime - Hovde was part of the crew walking, so unless it was for a good-bye lunch, he's still here.

Hovde brought a lot of passion and fire to our bench/coaching staff, I hope he stays. Who knows how he left USF, if it was amicable or if Hovde was looking for something different. I'm sure Florida pays their assistants more than we can though.

Hovde brought a lot of passion and fire to our bench/coaching staff, I hope he stays. Who knows how he left USF, if it was amicable or if Hovde was looking for something different. I'm sure Florida pays their assistants more than we can though.
Agreed - I have not liked a lot of the former players coaching under Mooney as I feel they just follow the status quo. But I like that Hovde has spent his entire time elsewhere and been successful. And he was always a hustle and toughness kind of player, and I think he brings that to the table as a coach as well.

Good luck to Hovde. See his wife had zero reason to be crying.

I'd be shocked if we don't promote McGonigal. Next in line, been here a while, and Mooney's normal model.
Bummer - talked to his wife at the alumni event prior to Prov game and she seems happy to be in Richmond .. oh well enjoy Gainesville.

Bummer - talked to his wife at the alumni event prior to Prov game and she seems happy to be in Richmond .. oh well enjoy Gainesville.
She will have a lot of reasons $$$$ to enjoy Florida. For head coaches, money is a major factor, for assistant coaches - that is an even bigger factor. If Golden is getting 3 million a year at Florida as Head Coach, and I would presume Hovde will be his top assistant - then Hovde is likely pulling down 400K, maybe more. I doubt our assistant coaches in Richmond come close to that. Our entire assistant coach budget might be 400K.

Previous assistants at Florida were making 300K. But when you hire new coaches at that level, the price usually goes up.

Good luck to Hovde - if the Gators can be successful in the next few years, he could be looking at lower level head coaching jobs soon.

I'd be shocked if we don't promote McGonigal. Next in line, been here a while, and Mooney's normal model.
Normal Mooney model would be promote McGonigal, and then probably hire former player - Gaitley I think is done and could step right into that role.

Or we call Marcus Jenkins and see if he wants to come back for a 3rd time.

I think Mooney got the memo last year regarding his incestious coaching tree. And that is why we saw him go out and get Hovde and Joseph. A former player who had broken into the coaching ranks away from Mooney and with a highly successful head coach. I would be very disappointed to see an internal promotion. This is a chance to go out and grab someone with a different skill set and a whole list of other connections that would benefit the program.

I'm sure every over at the Robins Center are all fat and happy though after the run and the pressure is "off", so I could also see them falling back on the old and failed habits of past. Let us hope not.

And with all the recently fired coaches, and staffs that usually go with them - there should be a lot of options out there for staff outside the Mooney/UR tree.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think Mooney got the memo last year regarding his incestious coaching tree. And that is why we saw him go out and get Hovde and Joseph. A former player who had broken into the coaching ranks away from Mooney and with a highly successful head coach. I would be very disappointed to see an internal promotion. This is a chance to go out and grab someone with a different skill set and a whole list of other connections that would benefit the program.

I'm sure every over at the Robins Center are all fat and happy though after the run and the pressure is "off", so I could also see them falling back on the old and failed habits of past. Let us hope not.

No idea what is planned but I’d prepare for latter. They have mojo that’s the outsider. Hovde did have outside experience but was former player. just think they go w mcgonigal. He seems somewhat fiery. Agree new blood has benefits tho I do believe in HC having full authority over picking his assistants too.

Hovde won’t be the top assistant. more Richmond connections to Florida. Good hire of Hartman. May have to pull for the Gators. They r one of the few in SEC that r bearable. In fact I’d say they r loaded for bear.

Last edited:
Hovde won’t be the top assistant. more Richmond connections to Florida. Good hire of Hartman. May have to pull for the Gators. They r one of the few in SEC that r bearable.

Either way - safe to say Hovde is making more in Florida, and he probably sees the rebuild at UR coming. If Golden can turn around Florida and just get them back to a sweet 16 in the next 3-4 years, he could continue to move up along with Hovde.

Either way - safe to say Hovde is making more in Florida, and he probably sees the rebuild at UR coming. If Golden can turn around Florida and just get them back to a sweet 16 in the next 3-4 years, he could continue to move up along with Hovde.

Absolutely. He's not making 400 as 2nd asst. there but certainly getting very nice jump in pay. Think a move he had to make. Or they all stay there a while. Florida is a great job, re: Golden there are some jobs above it you take, but it's a small list imo.

Reactions: urfan1
Ah, ya...those Harvard 4-stars must have gotten denied by UR. That explains it.
So are we openly admitting that Harvard - an Ivy league school who can't give out scholarships is regularly out-recruiting UR in the A10? If they are getting 4 star recruits on the normal - then it sure sounds like they are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT