ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Johnson - 2021 Offer

Yeah, I think he's from Vienna...didn't word that clearly. :)

I have a friend who lives in North Ridge just a couple of miles from Episcopal.

Last edited:
Highlights look good. He looks a lot like a burton/crabtree type of player. Ton of athleticism and can throw it down. Surprised he is listed as a sg at that height

Reactions: GKiller
Yeah, I think he's from Vienna...didn't word that clearly. :)

I have a friend who lives in North Ridge just a couple of miles from Episcopal.

Yep good area it's where people go after they get out of an apartment in Shirlington!

I know Garrett's hs coach at Episcopal. Maybe I can get in a word. He played at Wake in 90s under Odom. was walk-on initially but played a lot and ended up on ship. & Wake stay away from Garrett. His tape did look sweet. I'm liking our 2021 targets.

Best to just say NOVA when talking about Northern Virginia. Unless you live there, no one really knows or cares the distinction between Vienna, Alexandria, Fairfax. We all just know your sitting in traffic for large periods of your life, no matter where you live.

Nobody calls it NOVA except some outsiders btw. But I guess that's your point. I don't live in the area but grew up there. Back then NOVA was the community college nothing more. Don't think that's changed. If I hear nova I think of villanova. Its kind of like people saying Hotlanta. Nobody who grew up or lived in Atlanta calls it that. Coincidentally the traffic sucks both places.

Nobody calls it NOVA except some outsiders btw. But I guess that's your point. I don't live in the area but grew up there. Back then NOVA was the community college nothing more. Don't think that's changed. If I hear nova I think of villanova. Its kind of like people saying Hotlanta. Nobody who grew up or lived in Atlanta calls it that. Coincidentally the traffic sucks both places.
yea having grown up in VA when someone referred to fact they lived in NOVA, I had no clue. I think it is a northern thing where all names are shortened. Worked in Delaware and Philly 2 years and my name never was pronounced beyond 3 letters: first or last name.

Reactions: GKiller
RTD is a Richmond paper, they're an outsider. Did you go and search the term NOVA in RTD just to pull up an article title from April 10 that was probably written by a copy editor from Midlothian?
Yes, yes I did.

She's a JMU grad...that explains it.

When I was at Richmond I never heard NOVA used once expect to describe Villanova. I was completely lost throughout all of this

I grew up there too, and lived there for many years after college, but heard it all the time.

But lumping us all together? Try doing that to people from Queens, the Bronx and Brooklyn.

Back to Garrett Johnson, looks like we are his best offer but I agree after watching his tape that his profile will increase. Kid lives above the rim.

When I was at Richmond I never heard NOVA used once expect to describe Villanova. I was completely lost throughout all of this
Did you ever hear the three states? Virginia, West Virginia, and Northern Virginia?

Actually I see No. VA written, but only heard Northern Virginia...

I grew up in Northern VA too and didn't hear it called NoVa much, but that was also a long time ago. No one referred to the capital region as the DMV then either, but they do now.

Do they? Granted I haven’t lived there since 2001 but know a lot who still do & I’m also there often enough. DMV term is mainly a recent media concoction imo. I’ve read it but never heard that or Nova said by literally anyone to describe where u r from or lived. If u r on vaca & someone asks u where u r from & u said either of those 2 i think they look at u like u had 2 heads or something. Sort of like the reaction I got once when I asked for jimmies on my ice cream in the Deep South!! Meanwhile if u say u r from DC or the DC area virtually everyone gets that. I hear DMV btw and I think drivers license. First time I saw that written re: DC area I was like wtf does that even mean. Plus VA & MD have never really blended. Same metro area & share the District but otherwise very separate.

Maybe I’m just a curmudgeon & don’t know enough millennials or gen z’s. Times indeed change tho I’d be surprised if either r said w much regularity or pride even today. I did google search Nova as it relates to Northern Virginia and was happy to see the community college, the real NOVA, still filled the page.

Ps Garrett come to Richmond & u can be RVA!

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Do they? Granted I haven’t lived there since 2001 but know a lot who still do & I’m also there often enough. DMV term is mainly a recent media concoction imo. I’ve read it but never heard that or Nova said by literally anyone to describe where u r from or lived. If u r on vaca & someone asks u where u r from & u said either of those 2 i think they look at u like u had 2 heads or something. Sort of like the reaction I got once when I asked for jimmies on my ice cream in the Deep South!! Meanwhile if u say u r from DC or the DC area virtually everyone gets that. I hear DMV btw and I think drivers license. First time I saw that written re: DC area I was like wtf does that even mean. Plus VA & MD have never really blended. Same metro area & share the District but otherwise very separate.

Maybe I’m just a curmudgeon & don’t know enough millennials or gen z’s. Times indeed change tho I’d be surprised if either r said w much regularity or pride even today. I did google search Nova as it relates to Northern Virginia and was happy to see the community college, the real NOVA, still filled the page.

Take it easy Gkiller. You’re totally correct, but I remember Nova, as an old
Chevrolet product.

So why did you want condoms on your ice cream instead of sprinkles?:)

And I think of DMV as an area only in specialized situations, like Labor, Taxes...

And I never hear NOVA spoken, and only see it written when characters are limited...

So why did you want condoms on your ice cream instead of sprinkles?:)

And I think of DMV as an area only in specialized situations, like Labor, Taxes...

And I never hear NOVA spoken, and only see it written when characters are limited...

Ha. It has crossed my mind the dual meaning caused the reaction. Tho this was many years back and your slang meaning was probably in its infancy. My impression was the person hadn't heard the term at all. Jimmies - the clean meaning - is a northern term, and I understand specifically came from Boston. Now I had a Boston raised dad and learned it from him and his side of family, but naively I had assumed it was much more prevalent elsewhere. I believe it is more widespread today and that kind of reaction at an ice cream place would be rare but who knows.

Sorry thread officially hijacked but that is decisively not rare.

Ha. It has crossed my mind the dual meaning caused the reaction. Tho this was many years back and your slang meaning was probably in its infancy. My impression was the person hadn't heard the term at all. Jimmies - the clean meaning - is a northern term, and I understand specifically came from Boston. Now I had a Boston raised dad and learned it from him and his side of family, but naively I had assumed it was much more prevalent elsewhere. I believe it is more widespread today and that kind of reaction at an ice cream place would be rare but who knows.

Sorry thread officially hijacked but that is decisively not rare.

Earlier, I think the clean version was mainly in Philly as well as Boston.
I thought the dirty version was from the UK, but that is Johnnys...

Should we move on to Pop & Gum Bands? Or is our hijacking over?

Got fooled by the mention of guard/wing...thought Johnson at 6'7" was probably a better combo than the 6'3"-6'4" Dread. Also hasn’t heard anything about Dread recently.

I’m not super familiar with the AAU system so I might be wrong, but from what I can tell, Dread and Johnson are on the same AAU team (Team Takeover).

Reactions: plydogg
I’m not super familiar with the AAU system so I might be wrong, but from what I can tell, Dread and Johnson are on the same AAU team (Team Takeover).

Yes also Garrett Johnson retweeted Dread's commit announcement so they know each other. I don't think Dread committing takes a spot from Johnson either, given our big class, and Johnson possibly being a little more a wing than Dread.

Also props to Noah Goldberg for using DC area instead of DMV in his tweet above!

That should have been the big tipoff that it was Dread and not Johnson...if it had been Johnson, he would have said NoVa. ;)

Ha. Noah could have said the District & made it more obvious. The District is the best & most correct term for DC proper tho DC is perfectly fine. However given Dread lives in MD and just goes to school in the District, I'd say the DC area was the right call.

All I know is that when it is time to get my licensed renewed, I have to go to the DMV to get it done. Not my favorite place to go in the world, but also not the hellscape experience most people make it out to be either.

All I know is that when it is time to get my licensed renewed, I have to go to the DMV to get it done. Not my favorite place to go in the world, but also not the hellscape experience most people make it out to be either.

Here in California even if you have an appointment with the DMV you’re in for 2+ hours of waiting. If no appointment you can get there at 8am and be there until closing.

But when I lived in Florida the “DMV” was part of the tax collectors office and I was able to transfer my CA license to florida all in under 15 minutes of walking in

In my experiences, I’ve spent less time waiting at the DMV than the emergency room. Not sure why it gets the rap it does.

Here in California even if you have an appointment with the DMV you’re in for 2+ hours of waiting. If no appointment you can get there at 8am and be there until closing.

But when I lived in Florida the “DMV” was part of the tax collectors office and I was able to transfer my CA license to florida all in under 15 minutes of walking in
There was a great 2 1/2 Men episode about the CA DMV.

After the flurry of activity thinking Garrett might have committed to us a couple weeks ago, it’s back to the waiting game. New offer from ECU.

Really like his extended highlight tape. Likes to attack the basket and dunk. Good range on his shot. Hope we get him. To me still has the look of a player that's going garner P6 interest. I like how he has so many dunks off regular game situtations - not just break aways.

In my experiences, I’ve spent less time waiting at the DMV than the emergency room. Not sure why it gets the rap it does.
No doubt, and at least the DMV looks busy. ER's are always slow, even if no one is there. I mean it's not like it's an emergency or anything. And then you get to look forward to the vastly inflated bill from them, where they just make up numbers to charge you.

Reactions: urmite
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT