ADVERTISEMENT

Future President Romney in the RC Sunday

Also the Today Show and NBC Nightly News will broadcast from campus Saturday and Sunday. Busy weekend!

Thanks for the thread Mo. We plan to be there. Found the news first on this thread as living in Charlottesville our news was/is all about Paul Ryan's vist here on Thursday evening.

*looks back at the reaction to Obama making an appearance at the RC*

was thinking the same thing SF.. And that was for a sitting president, even if it was for political goals.

Yes hopefully those who were "unhappy" about Obama's visit with some even saying to school personnel they would no longer contribute to UR will have a change of mind/heart and applaud their school for being even handed.

It is somewhat interesting that Richmond will be compensated for this rally but was not compensated for the Obama rally last year.

I guess it's different because Obama's visit wasn't a 'political speech'?

The Collegian

Frankly, anyone who would stop donating to UR because the president held a rally on campus is an idiot. The school had nothing to do with it either way ? the president's people selected the site and that was that. It's like when the federal government decides it wants to build a facility on your property. Guess what? You're moving.

In a similar vein, I am willing to wager that UR officials were not out there urging Mitt Romney to come to campus either. Perhaps they would have had more leeway to reject him if they wanted to, but that also would have been stupid. Take the exposure regardless of which candidate or party it is. And if you get them both, even better!

It's nice to be able to say we have had two presidents on campus in approximately one year
happy.r191677.gif

Legger UVA did tell President Obama "no" to an on campus (or in UVA terminology on grounds) event because it was too disruptive and the event was held elsewhere in Charlottesville. That was during the week and a number of classes would have to be cancelled. Traffic disruptions were "over the top" with some roads closed for over 2 hours. And as far as people giving to the school imagine the reasoning for either giving or not giving runs the gamut of about any logic or illogic possible.

off topic to thread for most part but re: giving to school or anything else I think those that say I'm not going to donate in future or going to stop donating you'll find statistically were never donating in first place and/or had little intention to do so. of course there are many exceptions and I don't exactly have proof but more anectdotal experience. You've seen the comments on here occasionally & they could be the exceptions. doesn't mean there is a valid reason to withhold elective contributions but in general very often empty threats.

OK, guys. The publicity will be good for the school, so I endorse the visit as well.

Fan, the difference was that Obama's cville stop was a campaign stop, whereas his visit here was not one, officially.

Legger, that distinction is nebulous.............................to the untrained eye...... or more accurately to the unindoctrinated...........

I'm not taking a side on this, just letting you know why UVA was able to decline a political event, whereas it most likely would not have been able to decline a non-political visit a€" and that's how the UR trip was officially classified a€" by the president of the United States.

Understand completely - if the patricians say it is official the proletariats are not in a position to question it ............

YOU THINK ROMNEY IS GOING TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT OF THE CAYMAN ISLANDS?

FYI - HE WILL NEVER BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT