ADVERTISEMENT

Former Spiders & Friends of the Family playing in 22-23

Andre Weir back in the lineup starting for FGCU against the #22 Volunteers.
If anyone else is watching, Andre for some reason seems to be wearing #43 tonight without a name of his jersey …and looks very different than his Spiders days.

FGCU unsurprisingly got destroyed by Tennessee. Weir started but only played 14 minutes with foul trouble. 6 points, 5 boards, and a couple of turnovers.

Radford played its second straight non-DI opponent, more than doubling up Averett. Sal had a nice showing in 17 minutes off the bench with 11 points on 4-for-5 shooting and 3-for-3 from the line. Couple of boards, a steal, and a block.

Reactions: plydogg
Brother Bryce - Still isn't starting and only 11 minutes, 2 points and 3 fouls in LUCs dismal showing at Tulsa. Boy could we used a Golden right now ..

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Jake Wojcik had another rough game. He had missed the last game entirely for Fairfield - not sure why. This game he didn't start - played 21 minutes but 0 points with 0 for 6 overall fgs and 0 for 3 from 3pt land. Fairfield now 0-4 after being drilled by Wagner 68-52.

6 points in 14 minutes for Sal tonight in a win over Army.

In last night's action, Isaiah feasted on freebies, going 7-for-8 at the line to score 9 points with 3 assists and a steal in a loss to Mercer.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Another decent showing for Weir as FGCU took down Drexel...9 points, 11 boards, and a steal in 26 minutes as a starter.

Wilson came off the bench in a game where Southern Miss blew open a close game and Winthrop made a grand total of three field goals in the second half with their final one being a Wilson triple with 11 minutes left. He finished with 8 points and a couple of assists in 21 minutes, but also had four turnovers and fouled out.

Wojcik continuing to play only a bit role off the bench for Fairfield, picking up 5 points on 2-for-5 shooting last night and just 1 point on 0-for-4 shooting (all from deep) tonight. He did play 26 minutes tonight and also had 6 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals, and even a block, so he did find other ways to impact the game.

Sal played just 2 minutes in a win over Elon tonight with a board (on a missed free throw on the penultimate possession of the game), a turnover, and two fouls.

Winthrop throttled Rob Jones' alma mater Toccoa Falls tonight, 99–52. Curiously, Isaiah didn't play even though he was listed as a probable starter in the game notes. Didn't spot any explanation for his absence.

Weir turned the ball over on FGCU's first two possessions tonight and then rolled an ankle trying for an offensive board on their third possession. Was taken out just 90 seconds in and did not return.

So you’re saying he had a better line than Neal Quinn tonight
Weir had 4 Assists in 16 minutes?

Oh,..

You mean Weir had less than 4 Turnovers in 16 minutes…

Still can’t believe Quinn had a 3 to 1 Assist to Turnover ratio in 2021…Maybe it was playing only 6 teams, all Patriot League?

Last edited:
I know we never really had a chance at him, but the transfer center I really wanted, Jake Stephens from VMI, is currently averaging 20/9/3 at Chattanooga, for his former VMI coach. He's also 84% from the FT line and 15 of 30 from three. A 7-footer who can do it all.

Weir had 4 Assists in 16 minutes?

Oh,..

You mean Weir had less than 4 Turnovers in 16 minutes…

Still can’t believe Quinn had a 3 to 1 Assist to Turnover ratio in 2021…Maybe it was playing only 6 teams, all Patriot League?
Hand up, that was a lame post from me and an unnecessary shot at Quinn. At the end of the day he still led us in assists last night.

I know we never really had a chance at him, but the transfer center I really wanted, Jake Stephens from VMI, is currently averaging 20/9/3 at Chattanooga, for his former VMI coach. He's also 84% from the FT line and 15 of 30 from three. A 7-footer who can do it all.
Agreed. The other player I track is Luke Hunger at northwestern. Doesn’t seem to be doing much right now.

Agreed. The other player I track is Luke Hunger at northwestern. Doesn’t seem to be doing much right now.
How did I forget he was from Montreal? Anyway, with Reed's change in commitment, I'd be ok with early next summer there being another Hunger games...

Another difficult night for Woj. 0 for 5 from 3 and 0-6 overall while coming off the bench as Fairfield list to Manhattan to fall to 2-6.

• Sad
Reactions: plydogg
Radford led by as many as 17 early in the second half before NC Central stormed back to take the lead, but Radford closed on a 7–0 run over the final 98 seconds to get the 2-point victory. Sal played only 6 minutes and scored two points with a board and an assist, but also two fouls and 0-for-2 from the line.

SF I have to say I admire your dedication, to so closely track the career progress of one of our former deep bench players as a deep bench player at another school.

Reactions: MrTbone and urfan1
Isaiah Wilson didn’t get into game as Winthrop lost to Coastal Carolina - not sure if he is injured or something.

Yeah, that's two games in a row. I haven't been able to find anything specific, but I suspect he's got an injury. He wasn't listed as a projected starter in the game notes.

Reactions: urfan1
Radford further rocked the A10 beating GW 86-76. Sal played 5 minutes with no points but suspect may be happier on 6-3 Radford than most of our current players (and fans) today.

Reactions: urfan1 and wr70beh
re: Luke Hunger, from an interview this past August:

The Daily: How much of an impact did Northwestern’s 5-out, small ball offense and your possible fit in that system have on your decision?

Hunger: When (NU) was recruiting me, we were watching some clips of me, and they were showing a lot of Pete Nance’s clips and how they use different sets to get him open within their offense. Seeing that, and then also seeing Robbie (Beran), who’s also a great shooter, and how he’s getting sets run for him. All that stuff made it super appealing.

Both Isaiah Wilson and Andre Weir are either hurt or something - haven't played at all the last few games for Winthrop and FCGU ...

I mentioned up a few posts that Weir rolled his ankle a minute into the Georgia Southern game and didn't return. He also did not play against FIU the other day and I saw mention that he was in a boot.

Still haven't seen any info on what's going on with Wilson.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Weir had a very busy 5 minutes on the floor tonight in his return...2-for-6 from the field including a three, three fouls and a couple of turnovers. (Looked like both of those might have been offensive fouls.)

Still no Wilson, and Sal also did not play today.

According to this JOC article from today, Isaiah suffered a season ending knee injury. Feel bad for the guy and hope he can come back strong for Winthrop next year.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT