ADVERTISEMENT

Former Spiders & Friends of the Family playing in 22-23

Section9.RowD

Team Manager
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2021
Consolidating earlier individual player threads since we have at least 4 former Spiders still playing D1 ball. SFspidur may remind us of a one or two others I have missed.

Opening night Monday 11/7:
  • Andre Weir - Starting center for FGSU ; 19 min, 8 pts, 6 reb as FGCU throttled USC 76-61.
  • Jake Wojcik - Started but rough opening game. 22 min , 2 pts. Fairfield lost to Wake 71-59.
  • Sal Kouressi - Came off the bench. 14 mnutes, 5 pts and yes 3 fouls. Radford lost to Marquette 79-69.
  • Isaiah Wilson - Started - 20 minutes - 5 points. Winthrop clobbered by Penn State 93-68.
* Matt Reed - Watched future team Tulsa lose to Oregon State that went 3-28 last year. (probably a bit harsh but really Matt, you chose UR over Tulsa and then decided to divorce us and tie the knot with Tulsa ?)

Last edited:
Will consider Bryce Golden as a friend of the Spider family until the Loyola game later this season. Did not start, 12 minutes 4 points.

Reactions: plydogg
Consolidating earlier individual player threads since we have at least 4 former Spiders still playing D1 ball. SFspidur may remind us of a one or two others I have missed.

• Andre Weir - Starting center for FGSU ; 19 min, 8 pts, 6 reb as FGCU throttled USC 76-41.
  • Jake Wojcik - Started but rough opening game. 22 min , 2 pts. Fairfield lost to Wake 71-59.
  • Sal Kouressi - Came off the bench. 14 mnutes, 5 pts and yes 3 fouls. Radford lost to Marquette 79-69.
  • Isaiah Wilson - Started - 20 minutes - 5 points. Winthrop clobbered by Penn State 93-68.
* Matt Reed - Watched future team Tulsa lose to Oregon State that went 3-28 last year. (probably a bit harsh but really Matt, you chose UR over Tulsa and then decided to divorce us and tie the knot with Tulsa ?)
I’m still scratching my head, what was the real reason to decommit.

• Andre Weir - Starting center for FGSU ; 19 min, 8 pts, 6 reb as FGCU throttled USC 76-41.
RE: SAL... you buried the lead... 5 TOs

Will consider Bryce Golden as a friend of the Spider family until the Loyola game later this season. Did not start, 12 minutes 4 points.
I watched this game as I live in Chicago and a bunch of friends are alum. they were all scratching their heads as to why Bryce didn't get more minutes. They almost lost to FDU.

Reactions: Section9.RowD

Thanks much. Did Weir ever play for us? By the way, the FGCU v. USC score was 74-61, not 76-41. Still a monster win for FGCU and loss for USC, which I had seen rated #4 in the PAC-12 this year.

Nope, Weir never saw the floor for us. Mooney held him out of the first few games of that season (remember it started late due to COVID) for not meeting the standards expected of him and then he was on the bench until the end of the semester when he left.

Thanks much. Did Weir ever play for us? By the way, the FGCU v. USC score was 74-61, not 76-41. Still a monster win for FGCU and loss for USC, which I had seen rated #4 in the PAC-12 this year.
Corrected the score - typo thx. When I went to the KY game at Rupp in November of '20 which turned out to be the only live game I saw in-person all season, I remember seeing Weir in street clothes pre-game and sort of assumed the writing was on the wall.

11/9 - Isaiah Wilson / started 19 min with 8 points as Winthrop dominated Division 2 (?) Piedmont 78-56.

Last edited:
11/9 - Andre Weir - 10pts in 16 minutes with likely foul trouble given his 4 fouls. FGCU lost to San Diego 79-73.

Interesting note is that Steve Lavin is now the San Diego coach, and the fired coach Sam Scholl I believe, is working for 40,000 or something as SDSU assistant/quality control for a year as he is still getting paid by USD. Will be interesting to see how Lavin does at USD.

Going to add Brother Goose to this thread as well as another friend of the Spiders family. Nikolas is a sophomore now at North Alabama. Played at jr College last year I think in Wyoming.

1st game stats - 8 min, 3 points in North Alabama victory over Oakwood (?)

The Lions play again tonight at Alabama A&M.

Brother Goose did not play as North Alabama best Alabama A&M 84-76.

Sal played just 2 minutes during Radford’s loss to Notre Dame 79-76. No points for Sal and 1 foul. Radford led for most of the 2nd half before the final few minutes.

Jake Wojcik started and played 21 minutes this afternoon scoring just 4 points on 1 of 6 shooting as Fairfield went to 0-2 by losing to New Hampshire 83-71.

Yes, really bummed Weir was not able to stick it out here. Seems like he is off to a decent start this year. Think we need to go big man hunting in the portal in the spring. Like Quinn, Walz and Bigs, but Bigs is a big wing, Walz will need some time, and Quinn is good but with physical limitations. So we could use a big man that can contribute in the spring.

Much better game for Spiders family friend Bryce Golden last night in LUC's 70-63 win over IUC. 12 points in 15 minutes with 7 rebounds and it seems 4 fouls.

Yes, really bummed Weir was not able to stick it out here. Seems like he is off to a decent start this year. Think we need to go big man hunting in the portal in the spring. Like Quinn, Walz and Bigs, but Bigs is a big wing, Walz will need some time, and Quinn is good but with physical limitations. So we could use a big man that can contribute in the spring.
Disagree. Guy didn’t have it.

Winthrop knocked off MTSU today, 76–68. Wilson started and played 21 minutes, scoring 5 points with 4 boards, an assist, and a steal, but also 4 turnovers and 4 fouls.

Winthrop knocked off MTSU today, 76–68. Wilson started and played 21 minutes, scoring 5 points with 4 boards, an assist, and a steal, but also 4 turnovers and 4 fouls.

Also 1-1 from 3 according to the box score.

I’m still scratching my head, what was the real reason to decommit.
Could be any reason for a young boy. Most likely better looking girls at Tulsa, or hooked up with some girl there on Instagram.

On Saturday …

Isaiah Wilson started - 21 min - 5 points, 4 turnovers and 4 fouls in Winthrop’s 76-68 win over Middle Tennessee.

Despite starting the first two games, Weir didn't play tonight in FGCU's home opener. Couldn't find any mention of a reason.

Sal played 17 minutes off the bench tonight against D-III Bridgewater...only 3 points and 4 boards, but also 2 steals and a block. Was 1-for-6 from the line...ouch.

Wojcik didn’t travel with the Stags for some reason, but Fairfield is still giving Xavier all they can handle.

Wilson managed just two points on 0-for-3 shooting, a board, an assist, and a steal (and three turnovers) as Winthrop got rolled by Auburn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT