ADVERTISEMENT

Follow up on SpiderGuy's comment

PalmTreeSpidUR

Assistant Coach
Jan 6, 2016
I wanted to comment on this from the St. Louis thread because I noticed it too.

Notice over the last several weeks, Mooney has shortened the bench to Nick, Grace, and Crabtree. The others have gotten either no minutes or very minimal minutes at best. We are now pretty much 3 bench deep.

I think Crabtree has been playing well and would like to see more minutes from him. I don't know what happened to Wilson, I really have no idea what happened to Koureissi (especially in games where we need height or Golden is struggling) and I am assuming Bailey is still hurt, though I feel like a couple of games back there might have been thoughts that he might be ready. There is also Randolph, who if I recall correctly played a minute or two in that game we'd all like to forget.

Reactions: Zeeter
I wanted to comment on this from the St. Louis thread because I noticed it too.

I think Crabtree has been playing well and would like to see more minutes from him. I don't know what happened to Wilson, I really have no idea what happened to Koureissi (especially in games where we need height or Golden is struggling) and I am assuming Bailey is still hurt, though I feel like a couple of games back there might have been thoughts that he might be ready. There is also Randolph, who if I recall correctly played a minute or two in that game we'd all like to forget.
Dji still isn’t 100% but is fully practicing & not sure when they decide he’s game ready. We he’s warming up he’s good but it’s when he sits and it stiffens up on him he’s not so good. I too think Crab has been solid the few minutes he has been given. I won’t speak on Zay or Marcus. Although, Marcus at least for me was put in a bad spot by Gilly if we are talking his TO vs VCU.

I’ll always be baffled about how Crabtree is played/treated. Guy makes one mistake and he’s immediately pulled from the game, after we watch the other starters make consistent blunders throughout. You watch him play and know he has a lot more talent than what his minutes suggest.

Marcus should’ve faked an injury and tried to get his year back.

Wilson needs to work on his shot during the off-season.

Overall, I’m good with the smaller bench. Dji hopefully gives us some good minutes during A10 tourney

Is Dji by any chance under the 10 game limit to declare a medical redshirt?

For those of us who have followed Mooney's actions over 17 years, he has a tendency to be unforgiving of younger players & bench players when mistakes are made. It's a pattern. They are yanked quickly. Maybe the right thing to do; maybe not. Not sure how it impacts their confidence or not. I have my opinions but will refrain from expanding upon that.

As far as the shortening of the bench, I believe there are reasons which I won't go into since they are only my opinions. I try to refrain from critiquing players. That's not my style. On the other hand, Mooney is fair game, & I'll never refrain from speaking my thoughts on him. His record & history speak for themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT