ADVERTISEMENT

First woman referee to officiate a game in the Robin Center

Thought the tone of that piece was perhaps unintentionally poor. As if we should have questioned whether a woman was "out of her league" in attempting to officiate a men's basketball game. I get that it was a noteworthy occurrence, but she's obviously a capable referee or else she wouldn't be employed.

Her refeering was a welcome change. She was willing to make calls and explained them in a competent manner that anyone could understand. The fact she is a female made no difference in any regard. The fact that she did her job compentently made her stand out because over the years there have been many refs who in the most charitable way I can phrase it did not meet the standard of competence. Realize a writer can not write only in regard to competence but that would have mitigated dwelling on the fact she is a female which can come across as patronizing.

She was great. And if you watch any NBA or NFL games with female refs, you will notice, they are not only extremely competent but approach the job with a bit less ego than some of their male counterparts. So, kudos to them and hoping we see more of them in the coming years.

Reactions: UR80sfan
She was great. And if you watch any NBA or NFL games with female refs, you will notice, they are not only extremely competent but approach the job with a bit less ego than some of their male counterparts. So, kudos to them and hoping we see more of them in the coming years.
you saw the same thing I did, no ego, no arrogance, just there with purpose to task

Reactions: UR80sfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT