ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gospiders06

Team Manager
Jan 25, 2018
I know the odds are zero based on his contract. But seriously this team is dead in the water. We just blew out chances tonight for a NIT bid. Mooney the game was a 4 point deficit at one time. You allow VCU to go on a huge run. Going on a 13-0 run before you call the timeout. By then, the game is basically over. We have zero chance no chance at the Siegel Center. So another sweep by VCU. Congrats Mooney see you at the bank and collect your huge check.

We all knew this is what would happen this season. He made the NCAAs last year, got a fat contract. Time to sit back and rake in the cash for the next 5+ years with no threat of being fired. I’ll admit, I’m jealous.

I just hate that Mooney has destroyed this program and fan base.

It’s a great time to be a Spider!

Ive got some beachfront property in Oklahoma for anybody who believes that to be true. Just DM me for details ;)

Reactions: Spiders4ever
We all knew this is what would happen this season. He made the NCAAs last year, got a fat contract. Time to sit back and rake in the cash for the next 5+ years with no threat of being fired. I’ll admit, I’m jealous.

I just hate that Mooney has destroyed this program and fan base.
another reason why I think the run was bad for the program. It ensured that Mooney will stay here for our lifetimes.

Reactions: bullfrog91
You’re boring

Just please don’t drag us through more detail on the way navy fired their coach.

Trying to restore some balance on here given all the other posts with titles praising Mooney.

I truly believe most fans who follow this team as closely as we do want him gone. If the casual fan somehow stumbles on this board they should see more posts like these to understand our sentiment towards a failed coach.

Get rid of this thread - not going to happen anytime soon. This year has been disappointing to most so far. But with a weak A10 and a belief we still will get better as season progresses, I can see this team finishing 4th or 5th in A10. I think right now VCU, Dayton, and SLU are seperating themselves from the rest of the league, but after that - you got a bunch of teams - UR, Davidson, Bonnies, Mason, Fordham, Duquesne - that could all finish in the 4th-6th position. Most years - that would be pretty good and maybe warrant an NIT bid or NIT consideration, but given how weak the league is this year - it likely means nothing more than a record just above .500.

Get rid of this thread - not going to happen anytime soon. This year has been disappointing to most so far. But with a weak A10 and a belief we still will get better as season progresses, I can see this team finishing 4th or 5th in A10. I think right now VCU, Dayton, and SLU are seperating themselves from the rest of the league, but after that - you got a bunch of teams - UR, Davidson, Bonnies, Mason, Fordham, Duquesne - that could all finish in the 4th-6th position. Most years - that would be pretty good and maybe warrant an NIT bid or NIT consideration, but given how weak the league is this year - it likely means nothing more than a record just above .500.
Id argue other than 3 seasons the whole Mooney Tenure has been disappointing.

Reactions: wr70beh
Nope.
Nine magic days in March means he is locked in for another decade at least. Get comfortable.
Yep, it is a reality that we just have to accept. Gilly saved his job with our run last year. Little doubt that he was gone if we didn't make that run last year, but it happened, the run was great and wonderful but now we are left to deal with the fallout of continued 55%.

Mooney's signed thru 2026/27 ... so 4 more years after this one. don't know why anyone would waste energy thinking we're anywhere close to firing him.

Blue Ribbon & The Almanac both projected us 6th this year. nobody other than a few on this board expected us to graduate what we did and still get an at-large. yes, I know that's what we want our program to do. but it wasn't likely to happen this year.

Mooney's signed thru 2026/27 ... so 4 more years after this one. don't know why anyone would waste energy thinking we're anywhere close to firing him.

Blue Ribbon & The Almanac both projected us 6th this year. nobody other than a few on this board expected us to graduate what we did and still get an at-large. yes, I know that's what we want our program to do. but it wasn't likely to happen this year.
I thought NIT was possible this year, but its looking unlikely too.

I agree w first part & have said as much too. I don’t think I’d even be advocating for firing after this year without the contract issue given the ncaa win last year. But…it would certainly be in play after next season if we hadn’t been so ignorantly eager to give out a 3 year multi million extension on a historical poor investment.

Also who really cares what the Almanac says. What did it predict it our A10 finish the 2 prior years? I think someone posted it last year, but Moon’s historical finishes vs. predicted is quite poor. U know u r allowed to beat expectations once in a while.

Exactly, GK. Of course a bunch of people who are just outside observers are going to predict us to be worse... We just graduated a bunch of dudes who were here forever. But WE shouldn't be thinking that way, as fans or as a program.

Plus, that same group finished eighth and sixth the past two years in league play, so it's not like they were tearing things up anyway.

We did graduate a lot, but this was the first year we brought in a lot from the portal. Guys we thought could help right away and be the difference between rebuild and reload. BUT - Quinn has been a role player at best, Bigelow started out well - but has been shooting poorly for about a month now, and Roche fits the role right now of a shooter of the bench and nothing more. They are good pieces - but they are not "reload" pieces right now.

Reactions: whampas and VT4700
Exactly, GK. Of course a bunch of people who are just outside observers are going to predict us to be worse... We just graduated a bunch of dudes who were here forever. But WE shouldn't be thinking that way, as fans or as a program.
we're supposed to be unrealistic?
we do know our team, but most of us aren't as knowledgeable about the rest of the league.
I'm not saying the Almanac or Blue Ribbon are perfect and know all. just saying we don't either. and in their unbiased opinion, we're 6th best.

I'm not giving Mooney a pass. he builds the team. but outside of this board, we're seen as having the 6th best roster.

Reactions: VT4700
We did graduate a lot, but this was the first year we brought in a lot from the portal. Guys we thought could help right away and be the difference between rebuild and reload. BUT - Quinn has been a role player at best, Bigelow started out well - but has been shooting poorly for about a month now, and Roche fits the role right now of a shooter of the bench and nothing more. They are good pieces - but they are not "reload" pieces right now.
agreed. Quinn was a very good PL big man. he's a pretty good A10 big man. he's not an equal replacement for Golden at this point.

we have high hopes for Nelson. he started pretty strong but has regressed a little in conference against better comp. he's got a bright future. but anyone who thought he'd step right in an be an equal replacement for Gilyard was mistaken.

we all had visions of greatness for Bigelow. and really he's doing everything we'd hope for except shooting well. he did have impressive shooting stats in 2019/20. but it's becoming clear he's not the shooter.

I think Roche is exceeding expectations defensively. he's just not having the impact we want, either not getting enough shots up or not getting enough minutes.

and we elevated Grace to a starting role. he's been solid. probably meeting expectations.

Reactions: VT4700
we're supposed to be unrealistic?
we do know our team, but most of us aren't as knowledgeable about the rest of the league.
I'm not saying the Almanac or Blue Ribbon are perfect and know all. just saying we don't either. and in their unbiased opinion, we're 6th best.

I'm not giving Mooney a pass. he builds the team. but outside of this board, we're seen as having the 6th best roster.
The A10 coaches had us even lower. Not that they were right about Loyola or the Dukes

I agree w first part & have said as much too. I don’t think I’d even be advocating for firing after this year without the contract issue given the ncaa win last year. But…it would certainly be in play after next season if we hadn’t been so ignorantly eager to give out a 3 year multi million extension on a historical poor investment.

Also who really cares what the Almanac says. What did it predict it our A10 finish the 2 prior years? I think someone posted it last year, but Moon’s historical finishes vs. predicted is quite poor. U know u r allowed to beat expectations once in a while.
Quick to reward but NEVER held accountable. Long term .55 personifies this. Maybe if last year RI eliminated us in first round, he’d have been replaced. Guess we’ll never know.

Plus, that same group finished eighth and sixth the past two years in league play, so it's not like they were tearing things up anyway.
Those that say the administration does not care do not know this. They post like they know, but they don't. They don't know what our goals are, and what our administration thinks. They say just because we kept Mooney, we don't have goals. Well, that is a guess and nothing more. I think the administration thinks Mooney gives us the best chance at success. We can disagree, but you are just guessing when saying you know how much the administration cares about winning.

Not all fans will have the same expectations and outlook. The difference in the way some fans think is some fans can think we might be real good, and hope for a real good season, but accept we might not be a 22-24 win juggernaut every year, and accept that there are other teams in in our conference trying to win too, so we probably won't be top 4 every year. Other fans might think we won't be good. Meanwhile, others will think we "should" always be real good, we "should" always have a real good season, and definitely will not accept anything less. We have all 3 sets of fans on here.

There's also some fans that think a good coach should be able to reach some level of consistency. That doesn't mean making the NCAA every year, but being somewhat consistent. Mooney's record...off the top of my head...4 really good years, 4 20+ losses years, and a bunch of 50/50 years. Nothing consistent hear. We're almost always out of the at- large discussions before we even get in to our conference schedule, and are stuck with hoping/needing to win the A10 tournament. We RARELY pull an upset and are many times upset by crummy teams.

Tired of swallowing the bile.

and then it will be worse the year after that. Until CM is gone, we're gonna have some rough seasons. Get ready Mooney supporters, you wanted this.
Either you're in New Zealand too, or you're up mighty late bro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT