ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Durden, Please!

CarolinaSpider

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2006
How our offense played against Howard and Leigh made me worry about today. We have absolutely no
ability to put our foot down and put game out of reach. Yes penalty on #37 started the negative field position
and the ill timed blitzes, left receivers uncovered but play selection from Durden in the later half of 4th quarter
was atrocious. It is time for a new OC NOW.

we don’t fire coaches at U of R. They either have contracts expire or they have to do something embarrassing off field.

which is surprising since I really can’t think of a good athletic accomplishment we’ve had in the entire tenure of AD Hardt.

we don’t fire coaches at U of R. They either have contracts expire or they have to do something embarrassing off field.

which is surprising since I really can’t think of a good athletic accomplishment we’ve had in the entire tenure of AD Hardt.
Yeah, it's pretty evident that embarrassments on the field or court don't qualify.

Reactions: SpiderK
Durden should have been fired the moment that he struggled to figure out an offense for Kyle Lauletta. If that didn't tell us anything, nothing will.
For real. I was done after the Delaware game Lauletta's SR year. You have a friggin NFL QB and are trying to get cute thinking its your system. Remember screaming aloud asking WTF kind of coaching is this and several of the parents of notable players in front of me turned around and nodded/laughed in agreement.

Mancuso has been the starter forever, has been underwhelming compared to pretty much every QB prior to him dating back to Stacey Tutt . What's sad is he wasn't even recruited by this staff and they still cant find a way to replace him with one of their guys despite being at best above average in his play.

Say what you want, but it wasn’t the coaches that let Villanova score two touchdowns at the end of the game.
It wasn’t the coaches that missed tackles, or fumbled the ball, or threw an interception.
And it sure wasn’t the A.D.

Reactions: Gallipoli
Mancuso didn't lose today's game. Coaches played not to lose. It cost us the game.
I’m not trying to be suggest he cost us today. Although generally speaking his overall play leaves a lot to be desired. I expect more than rookie mistakes from a 4 year super senior starter for a program like ours. Simply put…he hasn’t shown me the skill set to overcome the unimaginative offense he’s tasked to run.

I guess don't worry about it. Since no changes will be made anytime soon. Over the years we just accept losing like this. When we lose in Blacksburg next week. We will talk about what a great opportunity. Playing against the ACC playing against the bigger colleges. Great for marketing the smaller colleges. Not when VT is up 4 touchdowns.

Reactions: wr70beh
Say what you want, but it wasn’t the coaches that let Villanova score two touchdowns at the end of the game.
It wasn’t the coaches that missed tackles, or fumbled the ball, or threw an interception.
True but coaches call the plays. We gave up big chunks of yardage every time we blitzed and Nova read it
each time.

No, but it is the AD and coaches that are responsible for putting the product on the field that continues to under achieve.

Hard to call plays when you can’t complete a pass further than 10 yards! Better get a freshman ready for QB if we are going to keep teams from stacking the box in future games.

Reactions: urfan1
I agree JPO. Can't blame Durden for this one.
Is it not the job of the offensive coordinator (that has been here 4 years) to have a backup QB ready to play each week? The offensive coordinator that is also the QB coach. Who else would it be?

Reactions: SpiderRick
VT didn't even look that great today. And we still blew it.
You're not being very realistic. We played a power 5 team in their house with their officials. We held them to just over 300 yards total offense. We gained more yards on the ground than they've averaged giving up per game. We didn't turn the ball over on offense. We did that playing a backup qb who probably took very few reps in practice with the ones. Keep playing like that and it could be a very good season.

You're not being very realistic. We played a power 5 team in their house with their officials. We held them to just over 300 yards total offense. We gained more yards on the ground than they've averaged giving up per game. We didn't turn the ball over on offense. We did that playing a backup qb who probably took very few reps in practice with the ones. Keep playing like that and it could be a very good season.

I remind myself of that when we play JMU.

What does the QB depth chart look like? Is Hardy the next guy? Walker no longer a QB?

What does the QB depth chart look like? Is Hardy the next guy? Walker no longer a QB?
Looks like the only other QBs are Hughes (redshirt junior), Hardy and Wickersham (frosh). Walker is a WR now.

Then I play a freshmen against Elon. We have good receivers and can run the ball behind a good O line and have several good backs. So which ever frosh is the better passer, you play. We have to show some sort of down field threat. Can't win playing the way we did today in the passing game.

They must be pretty bad if they can't beat out English. We won't win any games being one dimensional

What the heck do we have to lose? I mean, seriously. Russ is at the point where he should roll the dice. Play a freshman…if he looks decent and “the future is bright” than he’ll get an extension, if we win he’ll get an extension. If a freshman bombs and we lose than he’ll be looking for work…but do we think English is good enough to guarantee wins??? I’m all for bringing him in as the red zone QB or giving him a series but let’s play someone that can air it out and let our receivers go get the ball. Or at least keep teams from stacking the box so that we have some space to run.

The call with 1st and goal on one was horrible. Every damn play has to be from shotgun
and only under center for victory formation. At least you could have used a lead blocker.
I am so done with his play calling and fact we have a second string QB who can only run and
his passing is so suspect. Our season is done so clear the staff

If Huesman had any ounce he'd go with him. Totally uninspired effort on both sides of the ball. They all know the season is over.

Reactions: SpiderK
Mancuso is out another 3-4 weeks. Another football year down the toilet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT