ADVERTISEMENT

Early prediction for next season - Scoring

Who the heck will be the 2nd leading scorer?

• Goose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Grace

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Sal Koureissi

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Connor Crabtree

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Dji Bailey

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Isaiah Wilson

• Marcus Randolph

• Jason Nelson

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Aidan Noyes

• Other (transfer or freshman ... ran out of slots!)

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spiderman

Spider's Club
Jun 7, 2001
Tyler should lead us in scoring next year. We'll somehow score 65+ ppg.
Goose is the leading returning scorer at 4.5 ppg.

Reactions: plydogg
Depends on OOC schedule, but I expect that to be light. But just looking at the A10.

Schools with new coaches - GW, LaSalle, UMASS I think we have an advantage just based on our system and assuming their rosters will be in flux with transfers and new coach. I believe the Bonnies lose everyone and they had no bench, so they likely reset next year. Duquesne will still be bad. So I think we fall right in the 6-10 range in A10 - around schools like St. Joes, Fordham, Mason next season who will likely be in similar spots. Expect Davidson, VCU, and Dayton to be at top again. but 6-10 in A10 is usually 7-10 wins. So lets assume 8 wins in conference. I think we can get 7-8 out of conference if schedule is light.

Fatherspider predicted no more than 7, and SpiderK predicted fewer than 10. Neither has taken me up on my bet, where loser never posts again.
I am still thinking 6 wins in conference (only because the A-10 is a Cluster ...), and about 5 wins OOC. Not sure where the 5 wins would come from. Almost anybody in the state would beat us, including Longwood and Randolph Macon. He will have a hard time making the OOC weak enough to get the 5 wins. I will reevaluate when I see the final schedule. I maybe way to high with 11 wins. We could easily be single digits, and if Burton leaves maybe less than a handful.

Depends on OOC schedule, but I expect that to be light. But just looking at the A10.

Schools with new coaches - GW, LaSalle, UMASS I think we have an advantage just based on our system and assuming their rosters will be in flux with transfers and new coach. I believe the Bonnies lose everyone and they had no bench, so they likely reset next year. Duquesne will still be bad. So I think we fall right in the 6-10 range in A10 - around schools like St. Joes, Fordham, Mason next season who will likely be in similar spots. Expect Davidson, VCU, and Dayton to be at top again. but 6-10 in A10 is usually 7-10 wins. So lets assume 8 wins in conference. I think we can get 7-8 out of conference if schedule is light.

While this could change i got the impression most if not all bonnies were coming back for the super senior covid year like we did.

Back to the original post. It looks like we will be active in the transfer portal. If that is the case, if we get Quinn, and a shooter (if slots allow) - I think who ever we get will hopefully be a proven scorer. No use getting a Kwesi type, really should be someone that can score. If so I think our next leading scorer after Burton would be such player. Now if Randolph, or Dji or Goose wants to pump in 15 points a night efficiently - I am fine with that. But right now it would seem second scorer is not on the roster currently.

While this could change i got the impression most if not all bonnies were coming back for the super senior covid year like we did.

Correct, all of the Bonnies seniors could come back if they choose

Time for Mooney to find us another small guard in the 5'9" range. Either that or Wilson REALLY needs to step up his offense (which I think he can do).

I’m wondering if we see a lineup next year with Dji, Crabtree, and Burton at the 1-3. Would be some real size, especially if we’re looking to play some tight or pressing D

I would expect 1 or 0 if they had lived up to the hype this year, since they did not 3, maybe 2, are likely. Not so sure all would...

I’m wondering if we see a lineup next year with Dji, Crabtree, and Burton at the 1-3. Would be some real size, especially if we’re looking to play some tight or pressing D
Possible, I like the options that could give us. I think Nelson is starting at the 1 from day 1, because he's too good not to, especially with a redshirt year under his belt. But at times when he's out, that could be fun to see.

Possible, I like the options that could give us. I think Nelson is starting at the 1 from day 1, because he's too good not to, especially with a redshirt year under his belt. But at times when he's out, that could be fun to see.

I agree with Nelson starting. who knows if he’s ready now, but hopefully he will be there by the start of the season or at least midway through.

This season, down the stretch, we really saw only 3-4 different lineups be used?

1) starters
2) starters + Grace for Cayo
3) starters + Grace for Golden
4) starters + Crabtree for Goose
5) maybe once a game Dji/Sal/Isaiah appear
EDIT 6) starters + Sherod (thanks urmite)

I know sometimes maybe Crabtree was out there when Grace was subbed in, but we really didn’t see much change in the lineup. And why would we, it was working once the A10 tourney hit.

I said it in another thread though, I’d love to see us constantly subbing next year and getting everyone minutes. I’m not thinking starters here, but having all these different lineups will help with experience and with freshness. Also, probably harder to scout if the offense isn’t just run it through this one or two guys all game

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
I agree with Nelson starting. who knows if he’s ready now, but hopefully he will be there by the start of the season or at least midway through.

This season, down the stretch, we really saw only 3-4 different lineups be used?

1) starters

I know sometimes maybe Crabtree was out there when Grace was subbed in, but we really didn’t see much change in the lineup. And why would we, it was working once the A10 tourney hit.

I said it in another thread though, I’d love to see us constantly subbing next year and getting everyone minutes. I’m not thinking starters here, but having all these different lineups will help with experience and with freshness. Also, probably harder to scout if the offense isn’t just run it through this one or two guys all game
I think you are missing Sherod...

Starting? Nelson>Gilyard/Anderson***

***Purely based on his having a lot more potential for next season than either of the others...

Starting? Nelson>Gilyard/Anderson***

***Purely based on his having a lot more potential for next season than either of the others...
What is going to be very interesting is to see how Nelson handles his first real games in over 2 years given his senior hs year I am 99% sure was canceled due to COVID and of course red shirt year this year .. at least for me, it almost looked at the end of the Providence game as Jacob and Nelson was talking that clearly he was passing the point guard torch.

Reactions: spiderman
one of the "ifs" that probably has to happen for us to be decent next year is Nelson being the real deal at the point.

if he's not we're likely going to struggle. we're going to need him to be like freshman year Gilyard or Kevin Anderson. maybe better, since he's been working out here for a year. 10-12 ppg and 3-4 apg.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
one of the "ifs" that probably has to happen for us to be decent next year is Nelson being the real deal at the point.

if he's not we're likely going to struggle. we're going to need him to be like freshman year Gilyard or Kevin Anderson. maybe better, since he's been working out here for a year. 10-12 ppg and 3-4 apg.
I don’t necessarily agree. I’m biased of course but don’t discount Dji at the point some…I think those two can be interchangeable as both have extremely high IQs and both have ran point their whole careers. In our system we have several options with guys that can handle the ball. Goose would be another option if he returns.

Time for Mooney to find us another small guard in the 5'9" range. Either that or Wilson REALLY needs to step up his offense (which I think he can do).
I don’t see that yet. Too out of control, not enough discipline in his ball handling and decision making. Just not a shooter, maybe a driver.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer

1) starters

You never watched Mooney coach a team?

I don’t necessarily agree. I’m biased of course but don’t discount Dji at the point some…I think those two can be interchangeable as both have extremely high IQs and both have ran point their whole careers. In our system we have several options with guys that can handle the ball. Goose would be another option if he returns.
Dad, you know your son best, but I just don't see him or Goose being D-1 point guards, particularly in Mooney's system. Yes, they both can handle the rock and bring it up the court, but anytime there is pressure, we need a point guard with an elite handle. You saw it with Goose this year. Yeah, he brought the ball up, but Gilly was almost always initiated our offense and if the other team pressed, Gilly was there always.

I think that is Nelson and I think Wilson is his back-up at that position. I'll give Dji all the minutes he wants at the 2 guard, which also involves ballhandling, but Mooney wants a true PG running the show.

Dji does look to have elite level quickness, handle and vision to me. I agree he "could" play point. but I thought you've already said CM wants Dji at the 2?

in my perfect world, both Nelson and Dji become stars and play together rather than competing for one spot. I'm hoping Nelson is a 4 year starter and 2,000 point scorer. if he's better then Dji and Zay at the point, that's good for the program.

Dad, you know your son best, but I just don't see him or Goose being D-1 point guards, particularly in Mooney's system. Yes, they both can handle the rock and bring it up the court, but anytime there is pressure, we need a point guard with an elite handle. You saw it with Goose this year. Yeah, he brought the ball up, but Gilly was almost always initiated our offense and if the other team pressed, Gilly was there always.

I think that is Nelson and I think Wilson is his back-up at that position. I'll give Dji all the minutes he wants at the 2 guard, which also involves ballhandling, but Mooney wants a true PG running the show.
I hear ya and we can agree to disagree. To say he’s not a D1 PG is kinda crazy to me. Dji was recruited and signed to play PG at Wake. Also was PG on an AAU squad that all went D1(4 of those HM). Most haven’t seen what he can do yet and don’t be fooled to think he doesn’t have elite handle. With that being said I think Jason could be the primary ball handler which is cool but I can see a backcourt with him and Dji as well as Goose if he comes back. Dji is big, esp big for A10 guards which works in his favor. Maybe people are accustomed to smaller guards here at UR and that’s ok. But, I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see how Dji can handle those duties. Im happy either way as long as he’s happy and given an opportunity. 🕷🏀

Dji does look to have elite level quickness, handle and vision to me. I agree he "could" play point. but I thought you've already said CM wants Dji at the 2?

in my perfect world, both Nelson and Dji become stars and play together rather than competing for one spot. I'm hoping Nelson is a 4 year starter and 2,000 point scorer. if he's better then Dji and Zay at the point, that's good for the program.
Recruited to play both here bc ideally he’s a combo bc of his size which is a benefit to the team.

I hear ya and we can agree to disagree. To say he’s not a D1 PG is kinda crazy to me. Dji was recruited and signed to play PG at Wake. Also was PG on an AAU squad that all went D1(4 of those HM). Most haven’t seen what he can do yet and don’t be fooled to think he doesn’t have elite handle. With that being said I think Jason could be the primary ball handler which is cool but I can see a backcourt with him and Dji as well as Goose if he comes back. Dji is big, esp big for A10 guards which works in his favor. Maybe people are accustomed to smaller guards here at UR and that’s ok. But, I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see how Dji can handle those duties. Im happy either way as long as he’s happy and given an opportunity. 🕷🏀

spiderdad you've been around bball u have to admit schools do recruit at 1 position and then switch. happens a lot, maybe more football. But just look at Cayo. He wasn't recruited as purely a back to the basket 4.

On flip side if you want to see a big point forward at UR google Scott Ungerer. Beilein era. Did not come in as a PG but ended up that. 6'7. very steady player. Not going to dribble thru the press but could pass and got the job done. Dji much more athletic. I'm only bringing up due to the role u might envision.

With next year's team there is still much to sort out including who is coming and going. Really only Goose had a big role as a guard, so he's the only role next year I could say with certainty, & I really hope he's back. For others there's a lot of PT available & I expect Dji will be right there. But I wouldn't worry about it now, too much unknown even for all of us who follow it as closely as we do. The offseason will determine a lot.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
spiderdad you've been around bball u have to admit schools do recruit at 1 position and then switch. happens a lot, maybe more football. But just look at Cayo. He wasn't recruited as purely a back to the basket 4.

On flip side if you want to see a big point forward at UR google Scott Ungerer. Beilein era. Did not come in as a PG but ended up that. 6'7. very steady player. Not going to dribble thru the press but could pass and got the job done. Dji much more athletic. I'm only bringing up due to the role u might envision.

With next year's team there is still much to sort out including who is coming and going. Really only Goose had a big role as a guard, so he's the only role next year I could say with certainty, & I really hope he's back. For others there's a lot of PT available & I expect Dji will be right there. But I wouldn't worry about it now, too much unknown even for all of us who follow it as closely as we do. The offseason will determine a lot.
No doubt…I really like Jason and Dji backcourt but lots of options for us with lineups. The more versatile you are in todays game the better. I look at it as Dji has positional size for an elite guard and I can only go on what they told us bc obviously we didnt end up there, in regards to Wake. I know his abilities is really all I was getting at and to not count him out. He pretty much was recruited as a pg everywhere. At end of the day I think Jason will be that main guy but I don’t think we will lose anything per say if Dji runs it some. Super excited for him and the program and to see what he does with his opportunity. Thankful we are Spiders 😀🕷🏀

No doubt…I really like Jason and Dji backcourt but lots of options for us with lineups. The more versatile you are in todays game the better. I look at it as Dji has positional size for an elite guard and I can only go on what they told us bc obviously we didnt end up there, in regards to Wake. I know his abilities is really all I was getting at and to not count him out. He pretty much was recruited as a pg everywhere. At end of the day I think Jason will be that main guy but I don’t think we will lose anything per say if Dji runs it some. Super excited for him and the program and to see what he does with his opportunity. Thankful we are Spiders 😀🕷🏀
We will need them all, we may be a 5 guard team at times next year. They should all get lots of playing time. Make sure Dji is practicing his free throws. 😊

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT