ADVERTISEMENT

Dream Scenario

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Ok, LI was looking for some positivity today, here goes, here is my positive dream scenario for next season and beyond:

1. PQ walks away, money/power void is filled by Ukrops. BANG, this would be awesome and remove moon's primary advocate if I read things correctly.
2. Hardt retires. We don't necessarily need a home run hire here, just a solid proven pro that values having winning hoops and football teams.
3. Mooney out. Don't care if he resigns, is fired, takes another job. We have a lot going for us, and it is Mooney that is holding us back.
4. Hire a dynamic new coach - the next Wes Miller - not sure who that is since I have lost interest trying to figure this out since moon is apparently coach for life.
5. Player retention - Mooney has been woeful recruiting bigs and even shooting guards of late, that said I do like some of the guys on roster. To win next year I want back: GRACE (new coach that can instill some D and he is a valuable player), Dji (lots of potential to be fulfilled), Goose (love to see a healthy season and give him a crack at NCAA), and obviously Burton (show case year for him). Solid core there. Of the Freshman, most critical is Nelson. Noyes, Dread and Randolph - think all these guys have great potential that could be developed under new regime and tought all facets of the game. Incoming freshman, yes would love to keep Walz coming in.
6. I know there is talk of gloom and doom for next year, which is predicated on Mooney being the coach. I think the above core, with some key additions via portal or even recruits could have us at top of A10 with a new coach. I think an athletic big from the portal and we are in good shape. I would also bring in a proven 2 guard that has track record shooting 38 % + from 3. Love Goose and Dji games, but have not seen either as a proven shooter yet - I know both are limited sample size.

We take the above steps and we have more optimism for the team then in a long long time.

Worst case scenario is that we miss out on the ncaas again this year and make a run or actually win the nit. Could happen because a lot of the P5 schools don’t participate in it anymore. If that were to happen I wouldn’t be able to take hearing about how great of a coach mooney is for making a run in or winning the nit.

I mean, if we're going to dream, let's go big.

1. We catch fire, go undefeated the rest of the way, win the A10 and make the Final Four.
2. VCU loses out and is eliminated by Fordham in the first round of the A10, then fires Rhoades.
3. Hardt is hired as the AD at Iowa.
4. Ed Clownface is fired as AD at VCU and replaced by Jim Miller.
5. Miller gives Mooney a 20-year contract for $3M a year to coach VCU.
6. We hire Chris Mack and immediately sign 7 high-level transfers.
7. Burton returns for his senior year.

6. We hire Chris Mack and immediately sign 7 high-level transfers from Louisville.
The immediately signed 7 high-level transfers will almost immediately fail out. When you go to college, you have to actually take it seriously. Our guys do. I doubt these "Louisville 7" will take college seriously.
Can you say 1-800-Jerry-Wainwright?

1. We catch fire, go undefeated the rest of the way, win the A10 and make the Final Four.
2. VCU loses out and is eliminated by Fordham in the first round of the A10, then fires Rhoades.
3. Hardt is hired as the AD at Iowa.
4. Ed Clownface is fired as AD at VCU and replaced by Jim Miller.
5. Miller gives Mooney a 20-year contract for $3M a year to coach VCU.
6. We hire Chris Mack and immediately sign 7 high-level transfers.
7. Burton returns for his senior year.
Eight I love your list. I'm not going to dream as big, I just want a mutual parting of the ways at the end of the season with Mooney. Mooney has made enough $$$ to provide generational wealth for his family. I think he should enjoy the time raising his kids and just enjoying life.

Best case scenario:

Win 20 or more games make the NCAA tournament

Making a run in the A-10 tournament make the NCAA tournament

Scenario2:

Win 18 or 19
Make the NIT tournament Win a game or two

Hoping for scenario number 1. Scenario number 2 seems more likely to happen. Peaking in February than fall off.

Best case scenario:

Win 20 or more games make the NCAA tournament

Making a run in the A-10 tournament make the NCAA tournament

Scenario2:

Win 18 or 19
Make the NIT tournament Win a game or two

Hoping for scenario number 1. Scenario number 2 seems more likely to happen. Peaking in February than fall off.
We can win 20 games just by beating LaSalle, Mason, GW and one of the Dayton, Bonnie, SLU and VCU games and still not be close to the NCAA. In fact, this team could win probably 22-23 games and maybe a game or two in the A-10 tournament and not make the NCAA because our resume is so devoid of quality wins. Our only shot is to win the A-10 tourney.

If we end up with 18-19 wins, I don't think that is good enough for a NIT birth. If we win 19 games, that means we finish the year going 3-5.

Have to add one of the most painful events in recent years has been the "walking away" from the Spiders by the Ukrop family. They are great people and have done a lot for the University of Richmond. Instead of actions that drove them away because of the Ukrops willingness to stand for their values the school should have and should now make overtures to get them back.

I don't think Ukrop is coming back like he used to. I have always heard the removal of soccer really irked the family, and while I believe they still donate to the University - I don't think he is showing face as much or being involved. So I think PQ is here to stay on that front.

Ok, LI was looking for some positivity today, here goes, here is my positive dream scenario for next season and beyond:

1. PQ walks away, money/power void is filled by Ukrops. BANG, this would be awesome and remove moon's primary advocate if I read things correctly.
2. Hardt retires. We don't necessarily need a home run hire here, just a solid proven pro that values having winning hoops and football teams.
3. Mooney out. Don't care if he resigns, is fired, takes another job. We have a lot going for us, and it is Mooney that is holding us back.
4. Hire a dynamic new coach - the next Wes Miller - not sure who that is since I have lost interest trying to figure this out since moon is apparently coach for life.
5. Player retention - Mooney has been woeful recruiting bigs and even shooting guards of late, that said I do like some of the guys on roster. To win next year I want back: GRACE (new coach that can instill some D and he is a valuable player), Dji (lots of potential to be fulfilled), Goose (love to see a healthy season and give him a crack at NCAA), and obviously Burton (show case year for him). Solid core there. Of the Freshman, most critical is Nelson. Noyes, Dread and Randolph - think all these guys have great potential that could be developed under new regime and tought all facets of the game. Incoming freshman, yes would love to keep Walz coming in.
6. I know there is talk of gloom and doom for next year, which is predicated on Mooney being the coach. I think the above core, with some key additions via portal or even recruits could have us at top of A10 with a new coach. I think an athletic big from the portal and we are in good shape. I would also bring in a proven 2 guard that has track record shooting 38 % + from 3. Love Goose and Dji games, but have not seen either as a proven shooter yet - I know both are limited sample size.

We take the above steps and we have more optimism for the team then in a long long time.
I like the effort but looking for a little more positivity in the near-term. A positive scenario that results in basically everybody leaving the program doesn’t seem that positive after all.

Best case scenario, we double our current win total by May 1.

Have to add one of the most painful events in recent years has been the "walking away" from the Spiders by the Ukrop family. They are great people and have done a lot for the University of Richmond. Instead of actions that drove them away because of the Ukrops willingness to stand for their values the school should have and should now make overtures to get them back.
I still remember freshman year winning a $50 gift certificate to Ukrops, I walked around for a half hour looking for beer.

I still remember freshman year winning a $50 gift certificate to Ukrops, I walked around for a half hour looking for beer.
Mentioned recently about snowstorm Temple game when my grandson won $250 gift certificate from Ukrop's in baby crawling contest. Our daughter wanted to spend much of it for that grandson's first birthday party, which of course had to buy other groceries to use it up. He had the biggest cupcake - the size of a regular cake - that we still enjoy laughing at the pictures of him and that enormous cupcake! 23 - we already knew Ukrops did not sell beer!

We can win 20 games just by beating LaSalle, Mason, GW and one of the Dayton, Bonnie, SLU and VCU games and still not be close to the NCAA. In fact, this team could win probably 22-23 games and maybe a game or two in the A-10 tournament and not make the NCAA because our resume is so devoid of quality wins. Our only shot is to win the A-10 tourney.

If we end up with 18-19 wins, I don't think that is good enough for a NIT birth. If we win 19 games, that means we finish the year going 3-5.

we have been out of the conversation for so long it is truly sad how much our fans struggle to understand what will and will not get you an at-large bid

Winning the A-10 tournament seems like our only option.

This thread is terrific - dreaming is always fun. I nominate spider23 for new AD and Eight Legger for Chairman of the BOT!
What so I get nothing? I don't aspire to a great leadership role and I think 23 would do a great job as AD and Eight as Chairman. But could I please have the role as the guy who gets to pack up Mooney and Rob Jones offices upon termination.

What so I get nothing? I don't aspire to a great leadership role and I think 23 would do a great job as AD and Eight as Chairman. But could I please have the role as the guy who gets to pack up Mooney and Rob Jones offices upon termination.
hahaha, we will get you a United Van lines uniform. You can start packing up 10 minutes before they are notified. Just let them know you are following orders.

Done! Plus an extra bonus to manage all those millions for CM. Didn't purposely overlook your analytical skills!

Last edited:
Reactions: 97spiderfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT