ADVERTISEMENT

8-23

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
OK, enough with the negative nellies (takes one to know one, I know, I know) , but on to Drake.

ESPN analytics are giving us a 65% chance to win. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/401487673

Which I tend to agree with.

After two bad performances, and Mooney forcing the team to read the message board for an hour after practice, looking for an inspired performance.

Spiders 73 Hate the Drake 69 - is my prediction.

Grace with 12 pts 6 boards 6 assists. Burton big game. Neal solid game. Back on track in the land of the rising Moon.

Unless our guys have been studying so much, and had too much time off, and we have not been able to practice, and the Noyes flu is working its way through the team, and moon gave them the week off.

Negative Nellie checking in.

I usually hate doing predictions, but after the past two performances my gut says we lose by at least 8.

Reactions: whampas
"What if I told you... one college basketball program couldn't close games, no matter the opponent...no matter the situation...no matter the location... no matter the players...no matter the fans?

What if I told you... one man's struggle to design effective late-game strategies lasted longer than most marriages -- including some that he helped plan himself?

ESPN Films 30 for 30 presents: Richmond Basketball, To the Moon And Back – The 37-Minute Men."

Last edited:
They would tell you that you had a VERY short memory, and missed a VERY fun March run this year.

They would tell you that you had a VERY short memory, and missed a VERY fun March run this year.
Yeah, those 2 weeks last March of greatness vs. 11 years ongoing years of Mooney mediocracy as Eight legger described are sure equivalent. I hope no one took a long weekend out of the country last March and missed our moment of greatness, looks like that memory is going to have last a while.

If we bounce back and win, executing down the stretch - with JayNel effectively dishing to Burton and Bigs for easy baskets - which leads to a wide open 3 from Roche to put us up by 11 with 25 seconds left - I am assigning myself as Game Thread started until further notice, or at least the next loss. Whew, its just as hard to type a run on sentence as say one.

Looking at the Drake schedule, they r 7-1, but it doesn’t look like they’ve played any real decent teams. Looks pretty soft so far. Hard to know what to expect considering that and the funk we r in. Prediction - there will b a game at the RC this Saturday.

Reactions: gospidersgo
We get down by 10 early, but battle back and take a 2 point lead into halftime. Close game in 2nd half, but we pull away towards end of game with some timely buckets by Burton and solid defense.

UR 68 Drake 61

Burton goes for 20, and Bigelow has a big game with double double 18 points and 10 boards.

Reactions: spider23
We turn it over a lot and don’t get a lot of assists then blame CM for not telling guys where exactly to pass it at that exact point in time! I see a close game. 69-71, but Goose fouls a guy on a three (CM told him to probably). He makes all 3. It’s 72-71 and the forum is telling Tyler to shoot so we give it to the top 5 spider of all time, down 1 and let him go 1 on 1… he misses and we blame CM for horrible end of game execution.

A player's basketball acumen is the direct result of what the coach teaches them to do or not to do. No, Mooney didn't instruct Goose to foul a three point shooter late in the clock and game but he apparently isn't doing the job he should be doing to instruct him NOT to be doing it. It's happened more than once by the way. Phan Of Mooney.

We turn it over a lot and don’t get a lot of assists then blame CM for not telling guys where exactly to pass it at that exact point in time! I see a close game. 69-71, but Goose fouls a guy on a three (CM told him to probably). He makes all 3. It’s 72-71 and the forum is telling Tyler to shoot so we give it to the top 5 spider of all time, down 1 and let him go 1 on 1… he misses and we blame CM for horrible end of game execution.
Yea, No accountability. It's not Mooney's fault! He's only the head coach responsible for all aspects of the program. Mooney pom-poms.

I’m not one to blame everything on CM, players have to execute. But it’s equally ridiculous to suggest this is just on the players, particularly when there are patterns that emerge year after year. By definition, that’s systemic.

I’m not one to blame everything on CM, players have to execute. But it’s equally ridiculous to suggest this is just on the players, particularly when there are patterns that emerge year after year. By definition, that’s systemic.
Exactly. The head coach is responsible for instilling the culture and habits of the players on the court via practice. Certain players get yanked quickly for a turnover, while others do not. Players do not get yanked very often for blow bys on defense. And yes, I know you cannot stop guys every single time (which seems to be the Mooney above all's response to that one. But in the past 10 years it has happened too often with no coaching correction to be overlooked. I did love to see Boyden correcting some of these things early in the season, especially weak play around the basket. But the head coach needs to instill the culture, habits and urgency from day 1. Kind of like all those practice videos shared that had terrible defense and made sman cringe. OK, maybe it is cherry picking, but maybe other coaches/programs make sure you are playing defense in every drill and scrimmage. Patterns. Culture. Habits.

Exactly. The head coach is responsible for instilling the culture and habits of the players on the court via practice. Certain players get yanked quickly for a turnover, while others do not. Players do not get yanked very often for blow bys on defense. And yes, I know you cannot stop guys every single time (which seems to be the Mooney above all's response to that one. But in the past 10 years it has happened too often with no coaching correction to be overlooked. I did love to see Boyden correcting some of these things early in the season, especially weak play around the basket. But the head coach needs to instill the culture, habits and urgency from day 1. Kind of like all those practice videos shared that had terrible defense and made sman cringe. OK, maybe it is cherry picking, but maybe other coaches/programs make sure you are playing defense in every drill and scrimmage. Patterns. Culture. Habits.
Yanking players out over one mistake is a very big issue. They don't play loose and with the energy we need after that. Energy, fire, and momentum are key in basketball. Mooney puts it out every time. Exact same issue in the end of game collapses. Let 'em play. You can't run out the clock with a 5 or 6 point lead with 3 or 4 minutes left. How do you make the same mistake so many times?

I don't blame Hardt for everything the way many of you do, but maybe it is Hardt because the same f***ing thing happens in football where we attempt to run out the clock way too early in many cases.

Somebody else pointed this out earlier but Moony’s teams are soft. Gilyards own 6 year Toughness carried us through t March last year
100%. Of all of Mooney's issues, this one stands out the most. Most of our teams have enough talent, and if you let them play with the energy and passion they come into the program with as winners, they will find a way to win. And be pissed if they don't. That's a good thing.

I like a quote i got from JW when he was coaching at UR and I spoke to him after a game at the Robins Center. He told them very frankly - Players win games, coaches lose games. Its just the way it is. Even though the coach has no missed shots, no turnovers, no missed defensive rotations - he is responsible for the loss. But when we win, its always the players who played well, or made a great pass, or had a great shot, etc.

But then again - coaches these days get paid a lot of money, most of it guaranteed. So if you want to pay me over a million dollars a year and I have to take blame for losses, no problem.

Burton is a Top 5 Spider of all time. Interesting. I wouldn't have him in my Top 5 or 10, but to each his own.

Reactions: coach fezz

I don’t even know if I would have Burton on my 2nd or 3rd starting 5 of all time Spiders. Maybe under Mooney (if that’s where your starting point is and ignore total Spider history) but not all time.

Agreed - He had a good year last year, and is off to a good start this year statistically. But not sure I put him in the top 5, probably not even top 10 right now.

Now - if he wins A10 POY this year - I probably got him in top 10.

Don't know what is going to happen, but if Burton does get in the NBA next summer, have we ever had a player make it in the NBA with eligibility left?

Don't know what is going to happen, but if Burton does get in the NBA next summer, have we ever had a player make it in the NBA with eligibility left?
That eligibility would be an asterisk though. In normal times - he would be done. This is his 4th year of playing on the court in a Spider Uniform. But given COVID year - he will be able to play a 5th year.

Bigger question - what if he has a good year, but then at end of year - projections don't have him getting drafted. I have no doubt he could play in G-League or overseas for more money, but does he come back to UR and try another year to increase stock. Probably not - simply because age becomes a factor and the NBA likes a 19 year old with potential over a 22 year old with experience.

Big bounce back spot here for the Spiders. Looking at Drake's schedule, looks like have only had one road game (loss at Indiana State) so far. Hopefully the RC crowd is a good one and fired up after receiving there BOGO tickets, free parking, free tickets, and beer tickets!

Nelson has had a week to watch some film, as with other games looking for him to keep it simple, take what is there, do not force things, they will come. Need production from Grace and Quinn combined. Burton and Bigs, I want to see getting to the rim and attacking Drake, get some easy hoops and then the 3 ball will fall that much more freely.

Looks like Brodie, Wilkins, Penn and Sturtz are back for their 2nd senior year.
And Devries is a sophomore, the rest of the roster looks new.
Brodie replacing Murphy in the starting lineup.

Still, I have no idea what to expect, from them or us...

I am sure Drake had this game circled on their schedule because it was supposed to be a good road game for them. So will their players continue with that mindset and come out ready to play or will they look at our record and think - UR is not very good - this is a win, and maybe they are looking ahead to better games with St. Louis and Miss. St. I think we know what to expect from UR - get behind early, claw back into the game. But not sure what to expect from Drake because they have not really played anyone.

Looking at some Kenpom stats , we are both right around 100 in the nation in offense and defense adjusted efficiency. Both teams very bad on offensive glass, though we know we are not coached to get an offensive rebound. To me, like the Temple game, this is going to come down to who want is more, who plays with energy, and imposes will. That was a highlight, after the Syracuse game, and then went downhill from there. Long layoff, exams, etc so we know the excuses will be cooked in for Mooney. Home court and motivation should play big.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Quinn is a mystery still to me. He is not playing bad, but I don't think he is playing up to the expectation of fans or coaches - YET. Is it just taking time for to get adjusted? Did the foot injury set him back a bit? Or is this about what we can expect from Quinn going forward - maybe take 5 shots. Score 6-8 points, grab 5 rebounds and play 20 minutes. Is that the ceiling for him? I don't think it is - and honestly, we need him to be better and more productive for this team to win games this year and beyond.

Quinn is a mystery still to me. He is not playing bad, but I don't think he is playing up to the expectation of fans or coaches - YET. Is it just taking time for to get adjusted? Did the foot injury set him back a bit? Or is this about what we can expect from Quinn going forward - maybe take 5 shots. Score 6-8 points, grab 5 rebounds and play 20 minutes. Is that the ceiling for him? I don't think it is - and honestly, we need him to be better and more productive for this team to win games this year and beyond.
Quinn is a huge target for double and triple teams, we need more offensive threats on the court if we want to punish the double/triple teams.

He also needs to get stronger to finish through contact. Not sure why we have been getting so few foul calls.

I think he's slightly below where we should have expected him to be. He only averaged like 14 ppg at Lafayette, so that was probably going to come down as he stepped up to a tougher league. I would like to see him scoring 10 a game and grabbing a few more rebounds. He's actually shooting a better percentage than he did the last few years.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Grace back to starting lineup. I did not get impression it was for Quinn. But that's what I would do. Nothing was stated, my guess is we're back to original starters from beginning of season. guess we'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT