ADVERTISEMENT

Don't sleep on Roche

For what it's worth, if you dropped the makes threshold to 2.0, you'd have about 300 guys qualified. If you drop it to 1.5, it goes up to about 600.
Why is that a problem when we are talking percentage? 600 guys would be less than 2 a team. We would only have 2 guys qualify right now at 1.5 a game. As common as the 3 is right now, I would think you would get a much better idea of who the good shooters are if you went to 1.5 a game. So, if a guy has played 15 games, you don't think 23 made 3s shows he shoots the 3 and should qualify?

Reactions: Eight Legger
Why is that a problem when we are talking percentage? So, if a guy has played 15 games, you don't think 23 made 3s shows he shoots the 3 and should qualify?
I didn't say it was a problem. I completely agree the threshold should be dropped. I don't have a strong feeling about whether 2.0 or 1.5 would be "better," so I was just tossing out how lowering it would change the number of eligible guys since I was curious.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
I think we're saying something pretty similar. The best shooters are going to be rewarded regardless. I would argue that this format "rewards" worse shooters (pecentage-wise) by including more of them on the list of "best" three-point shooters. If you make 3 of 10 every night, you're on the list. If you make 2 of 5, you're not. Almost half the guys on this current list are shooting below 40% from three. I don't think that really gives you the best sense of who the truly elite three-point shooters in the nation are.
I think lowering the makes threshold solves the issue though. If you make it 1.5 or 2.0 makes, then both of the guys are on the list.

If you base it on attempts and set it at 5.0 just as an example, both guys are still on there but you'll also get guys who shoot 1-for-5 on average.

If you use makes, the only way you get on the list at all if you're a bad shooter is if you have really high volume. If you base it on attempts you can get on the list by being a bad shooter at lower volume.

I really don't think it's a big deal either way. A longer list based on attempts with bad shooters down at the bottom is fine. But I also don't think basing on makes (with a lower threshold than current) is a problem.

Does KenPom only require 2 attempts per game? And is Roche #96?
So Lamar Wright of SIUE is #1

Year 1 0 for 0 in 17 games
Year 2 0 for 2 in 25 games
Year 3 5 for 16 in 30 games
Year 4 12 for 25 in 12 games (This year)

🤣

(Unrelated buy somewhat related: VCU's "stud" three-point transfer Shriver from that bastion of college basketball, Hartford, is currently shooting below 29% on the season from three after arriving as a 41% shooter from out there. Oops!)
Shriver is 5-for-7 from three today as VCU is cruising over Davidson. (The whole team is 14-for-23 from deep.)

I think it's going to be one of those years in conference where most of the teams can look really really good one night, and then pretty bad the next game.
And often the home team looking good, hopefully including tonight.

How many true road games has the entire A-10 won this season? (Not just conference games)

Interesting, he was struggling and the coach still had enough confidence to give him to opportunity to take 5+ attempts. Clearly he trusted him as a player. Somehow our 45% 3 point shooter can't even manage more than 2-3 a game. What does that say about Mooney? Unreal...

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Interesting, he was struggling and the coach still had enough confidence to give him to opportunity to take 5+ attempts. Clearly he trusted him as a player. Somehow our 45% 3 point shooter can't even manage more than 2-3 a game. What does that say about Mooney? Unreal...
Plus, he looked today like a stand still shooter.

Wow it's crazy, Roche has our 2nd best +/- at the moment. Should play the whole 2nd half...but his defense is so bad...

??? I wouldn't mind more 3s from Roche, but he averages just under five 3s a game, and has shot 3 or less in only 4 of the 16 games.

Reactions: urfan1
i think much is the problem of dribble penetration and no kick out to Shooter . When I am watching many times the pass is not made from out of control head down dribble . hard work to make fade to corner fade to top of key trailing three in secondary break needs practice to break aau habit of head down here i go . i know it is hard for coaches and players who never play much in their past with such a Shooter in making options like this into this offense but head down dribble not give it up needs a fix for success this season. I am to start penetrate and dish miss numbers now on to see. I am emjoying this team with the new players I think with good talents and think we can do it and need to work even smarter as a team.

So basically Mooney needs to coach up Jaynel on keeping his head up and finding the shooter. Do it Mooney, or don't.
Well, for this to work consistently, Nelson will have to always draw a double team when he drives, forcing Roche's or another shooter's man to leave him. And, I just don't think this will happen that much. This doesn't even always happen with the best, senior, NBA ready PGs out there because if you don't double, not only do you stay with the shooters out there and protect against the open 3, but you still force the PG to beat his man every time, and then finish at the rim every time, all for just a 2 pointer. So, if you are playing us, would you double Nelson when he penetrates?

Think we can find Roche 5-6 more mins by taking a few each from Goose & Nelson. But the lineup I’ve been begging for is Goose Roche Burton Bigs & Grace. Most versatile imo. Doesn’t have to start but it needs some run, & I don’t believe we ever really see it.

Reactions: urfan1
Think we can find Roche 5-6 more mins by taking a few each from Goose & Nelson. But the lineup I’ve been begging for is Goose Roche Burton Bigs & Grace. Most versatile imo. Doesn’t have to start but it needs some run, & I don’t believe we ever really see it.
I agree Roche needs more minutes, and I would take them from Goose. Goose with 32 minutes yesterday and 0 points. In our other conference loss, he had 36 minutes and 0 points. Goose provides outstanding defense, and I still want him out there a good amount, but it is just asking way too much from everyone else when you have a guy play that much and not score. I still want him starting to keep a good scoring opponent from getting off to good start, and he can still give us a huge defensive game by playing maybe 25-27 minutes. So far IC, Goose has played 36, 32, 34, 27, and 32 minutes. Roche has played 13, 18, 16, 15, and 19 minutes. These need to be closer. Just 5 minutes each way turns that into 31, 27, 29, 22, and 27 for Goose and 18, 23, 21, 20, and 24 for Roche, and it could be argued that it should maybe be even more than 5 minutes each way.

If Goose is out there stopping his guy like he does, and we are clicking on defense, and have a nice lead, fine, keep him at 30+ minutes that game. But, that will not always be the case, and Roche needs to be out there more when things are not clicking.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
i think much is the problem of dribble penetration and no kick out to Shooter . When I am watching many times the pass is not made from out of control head down dribble . hard work to make fade to corner fade to top of key trailing three in secondary break needs practice to break aau habit of head down here i go . i know it is hard for coaches and players who never play much in their past with such a Shooter in making options like this into this offense but head down dribble not give it up needs a fix for success this season. I am to start penetrate and dish miss numbers now on to see. I am emjoying this team with the new players I think with good talents and think we can do it and need to work even smarter as a team.
As often is the case, fezz making a good observation. The only two guys who drive with any regularity outside Burton are JayNel and goose. JayNel at least has a plan but too often gets stuffed, goose has no plan from what I see, he’ll often do this looping drive and toss up a low percentage bank rather than be more direct and maybe draw a foul.

It’s not a good part of our game.

As often is the case, fezz making a good observation. The only two guys who drive with any regularity outside Burton are JayNel and goose. JayNel at least has a plan but too often gets stuffed, goose has no plan from what I see, he’ll often do this looping drive and toss up a low percentage bank rather than be more direct and maybe draw a foul.

It’s not a good part of our game.

I love Goose, I really do but I have lost count of the lay-up's I have personally seen him miss just this season

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Mooney must have his own mental version of RPIM that somehow values Roche less than most of us do. Even allowing for that, is there any possible justification for not playing him late in games when we are losing by multiple buckets? It is precisely at that time when Roche's value is at its highest since he can so quickly cut down that deficit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT