ADVERTISEMENT

Do we need a recruiter?

Maybe I missed this and others were aware ...

"Boyden is the half-brother of Grant Golden, a four-time All-Conference honoree who is the second-leading scorer and third-leading rebounder in program history. "

Yes, SF posted the link to non-paywall Indy Star article before. But it appears I'm the only one who read it, lol.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Getting from good source, GIpe has been doing great job recruiting for us and deserves a lot of credit. Smith and Roche, big part in their signing.
Thanks Fan1. I like hearing stuff like this from unbiased Spider sources as yourself. Dad also gave a positive review, also a good data point from a poster who has a lot of credibility in my book.

Maybe I missed this and others were aware ...

"Boyden is the half-brother of Grant Golden, a four-time All-Conference honoree who is the second-leading scorer and third-leading rebounder in program history. "

I have known David since he was a high schooler.

I'm still astonished that in today's social media world and with as much attention as has been paid to Grant and Bryce in general, that apparently no one knew this until relatively recently.

Pat Beilein just got a job as the head basketball coach at Baldwinsville High School, just outside of Syracuse. It's one of the top high schools in Central NY. I anticipate that team will be very well-coached.
Great - didn't realize that .. expect him to be back at a college at some point.

Not much in here, but JOC discusses bringing on three new assistants and recruiting.

I spoke with a big time Maryland grad today. The school came to him wanting him give money for NIL inducements.
He gives a lot of money to the Terps program, but he absolutely is opposed to giving a dime to fund NIL contracts.
Coaches tell him that one of the first thing the parent asks a recruiter is how much NIL money their child will get. A
very sad situation

Last edited:
I ran into a Kansas State grad i know recently who played football there. He is on some type of group to raise NIL money. He thought it was going to be a bear. He said second call he made guy agreed immediately to donate 150 grand to the fund. Crazy stuff.

I just think it could end up killing collage football as we have grown to love.
The transfer portal and NIL are nails in the coffin for many programs.
The Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, et Al will become a semi-pro league.

I just think it could end up killing collage football as we have grown to love.
The transfer portal and NIL are nails in the coffin for many programs.
The Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, et Al will become a semi-pro league.
I should have posted this on the football board, but I think it applies to big time
basketball as well.

The thing about basketball though is that teams aren't going to give big NIL deals to 10 guys, and guys 6-10 wouldn't be as interested in taking them in exchange for sitting the beech 25 or 30 minutes a game anyway. So I think there's a limit as to how many great players are going to end up going places they wouldn't have gone anyway.

Reactions: spider23
I spoke with a big time Maryland grad today. The school came to him wanting him give money for NIL inducements.
He gives a lot of money to the Terps program, but he absolutely is opposed to giving a dime to fund NIL contracts.
Coaches tell him that one of the first thing the parent asks a recruiter is how much NIL money their child will get. A
very sad situation
I agree - very sad indeed.

The thing about basketball though is that teams aren't going to give big NIL deals to 10 guys, and guys 6-10 wouldn't be as interested in taking them in exchange for sitting the beech 25 or 30 minutes a game anyway. So I think there's a limit as to how many great players are going to end up going places they wouldn't have gone anyway.
Good point. It is crazy how many players are getting NIL money in football. The K State friend I spoke with was saying how they had already funded 3 football walk ons with full rides with NIL money. Basically sounds like using the NIL to expand the number of scholarships. To your point EL, don't think that is as much an issue in hoops - with 13 players already, at some point guys want to play too.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Good point. It is crazy how many players are getting NIL money in football. The K State friend I spoke with was saying how they had already funded 3 football walk ons with full rides with NIL money. Basically sounds like using the NIL to expand the number of scholarships. To your point EL, don't think that is as much an issue in hoops - with 13 players already, at some point guys want to play too.
and if Kansas State can pull that off imagine for a moment what Alabama is doing behind the scenes

Reactions: urfan1
and if Kansas State can pull that off imagine for a moment what Alabama is doing behind the scenes
Exactly, I had the same thought. K State has been a solid program for years, but have to admit if not for this friend would not be able to tell you how they have been the last 10 years, and Manhattan KS is not Manhattan NYC - but apparently they can raise a ton of money - so have to think USC, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson can do some crazy stuff. And Texas A&M, just ask Saban ;)

The NIL is capitalism on steroids. A few really good players in football and hoops will gets hundreds of thousands and probably millions of dollar to play college athletics, while the vast majority of D-1 athletes will get nothing. Meanwhile, a whole cottage industry is now set up to very quietly shuffle this money to these players.

The NCAA might as well just fold up shop. The ultra rich are now going to run D-1 football and hoops.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
The NIL is capitalism on steroids. A few really good players in football and hoops will gets hundreds of thousands and probably millions of dollar to play college athletics, while the vast majority of D-1 athletes will get nothing. Meanwhile, a whole cottage industry is now set up to very quietly shuffle this money to these players.

The NCAA might as well just fold up shop. The ultra rich are now going to run D-1 football and hoops.
I have read about "NIL agents" that are popping up now to help the bigger name kids sign deals for a tidy 20-30% cut.

Run, or ruin?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT