ADVERTISEMENT

Dji Bailey - 2020 Signee

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
In the spirit of spider23's request, here's a dedicated thread for Djimon "Dji" Bailey, a recent 2020 offer for us. Dji was signed to Wake, but got his release after Manning was fired.

We appear to have been the first program to offer him after his release, but Pitino has since offered him, and Northeastern followed suit yesterday.

Bailey is a 6'5" wing out of Greenfield School in Wilson, NC.

We've got one spot open for the 2020 class following the Woj transfer, but we're also in the mix for a couple of transfers. Mooney had also mentioned in his recent podcast interview with Noah that given the guys coming back he was open to leaving the scholarship vacant to provide flexibility for a mid-year transfer next year.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/djimon-bailey

Interesting case here, anyone know what other offers he had when comitted to Wake? Per verbal commits only showing BU at that time? Highlights look good, seems to be a versatile player with good hops, etc. The little video I watched, he looks to be similar to Pridgen, with a better shot possibly? Seems like we would have a shot with him. Maybe he likens Mooney's personality more to Manning and feels more comfortable than he would with Forbes?

24/7 also listed offers from VCU, Princeton, Rice, Mason, Wofford, and UNCG.

Princeton and Rice (and to some degree Wake) offers obviously show evidence of strong academics. Apparent VCU offer didn't generate much/any publicity...didn't even see a mention on their boards. Only thing I see is a quote from him in a commitment article on 24/7.

He chose Wake Forest over overtures from the likes of Charleston, Elon, Rice, VCU, Princeton and East Carolina.

“Wake was the leader from start to finish,” Bailey said.
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...mon-Bailey-commits-to-Wake-Forest--131847053/

Let's hope a former UR football family is putting in some good words for UR with this kid from their hometown. (In whatever "legal" ways that sort of thing is possible, of course...)

Reactions: plydogg
Have we seen his stats from his Senior year?
It looks like Wake recruited him after getting 12 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds his Junior year.
Was he really 5’10” in January 2018?

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Awesome! I read someone's tweet that sums this up perfectly: "As good a fit as there could have been: Positionless basketball for a multi position player".

Last edited:
Good pick up! I liked the quote from someone that Dji is not going to get you 25pts a night, but he will get you 15pts 8reb 7asst, and win - I paraphrase. But like to hear that.
Interesting about the big growth spurt. Maybe not done?

Now we need a couple lights out shooters/scorers in '21 class, and some bigs.

And with this signing - I do think it makes sense to keep a spot open for possibly a mid season transfer this season - or a grad transfer. I still think we are going to need 1 or two proven college players to add for 21-22.

Big picture look here. Had we lost a couple players to transfer a few years ago, Mooney either would have replaced them with some under recruited guys off the scrap heap that he would then redshirt and they would transfer away in a few years or he would have left a vacant scholarship to be given to some walk on midway through next season. Both of which are completely unacceptable for a major D-1 sports program.

So to see us this year go out and aggressively target a bunch of really good players in the Spring and then land one who seems like he has both a lot of potential and also seems like a perfect fit for our system is beyond welcome news.

Watched some tape on Bailey. I am impressed with his versatility. Nice looking stroke and not just from 3, also showed some mid range game. Impressive ability to drive to the hoop and finish in a variety of fashions. 6'5 with really long arms that he is uses very well both defensively and when penetrating.

I hadn't seen these highlights. nice athleticism, handle and feel. good looking shooter. this is a very good get. think he's going to need to get stronger for the physical A10 though. tough to put that work in now during these times, but if he wants to play early he needs to get it done.
welcome to Richmond, Djimon!

I hadn't seen these highlights. nice athleticism, handle and feel. good looking shooter. this is a very good get. think he's going to need to get stronger for the physical A10 though. tough to put that work in now during these times, but if he wants to play early he needs to get it done.
I’m also hoping he can gain some strength, but I don’t think it’s a huge deal since he won’t be playing in the post. I believe I read somewhere that he had a big growth spurt within the last couple of years, so I’m hopeful he’s still filling out.

Add Lucas Taylor and I think we start looking in pretty good shape in 21-22. Talking about position less basketball, putting Taylor, Dji, Crabtree, and Tyler on the court gives you a real nice line up of athletic, long shooters. I have been more a proponent of "position" basketball (whatever that is), but the position less thing works well when you have players like this. In this type of scenario, I think Burton at the 4 works, and I do believe he can develop into a three point shooter based on what I saw this year. Would make a heck of an athletic stretch 4.

I’m also hoping he can gain some strength, but I don’t think it’s a huge deal since he won’t be playing in the post. I believe I read s uhomewhere that he had a big growth spurt within the last couple of years, so I’m hopeful he’s still filling out.

I would rather him focus on shooting, especially with the 3 point line being 2 1/2 feet deeper than in high school. Maybe shoot 300+ 3s a day and then lift at night. I have not heard any negatives about this guy. This was a really great get.

That’s one of the most annoying highlight tapes I’ve ever seen. Not his ability- the highlight production. Lol

That’s one of the most annoying highlight tapes I’ve ever seen. Not his ability- the highlight production. Lol
lol. regular highlights are considered lame these days. have to go for the migraine. that's on Garner Road ... not the Baileys.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnnapSpider
Dji reminds me a bit of SDJ. Long arms, array of finishes in around the basket, pesky defense out far from the basket. I liked SDJ's stroke from 3 a bit more. But Dji is 6'5, 6'6 according to our press release. Gotta love that height from a guy who is listed as a guard.

Reactions: plydogg

This has some of the same footage as one I posted earlier, but I think a few new highlights as well. Dji has a very nice diversity to his game - huge poster dunk, turn around J on the block, etc. Can't wait to see Dji out on the court with Connor and Burton.

Last edited:
Reactions: GKiller and plydogg
That signing day video has to be the most confusingly edited clip I've ever seen. Comments on different players edited to run together with no transitions and not matched up with the action clips, it was hard to figure out who was being talked about at any given point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT