Davidson Wildcats Schedule 2022​

Regular Season
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)HI PASSHI RUSHHI REC
Sat, Sep 3@Jacksonville StateL35-170-1 (0-0)Durkin 32McCurdy 76Maione 26
Sat, Sep 10vsBarton CollegeW37-171-1 (0-0)Waddell 32Williams 84Raber 19
Sat, Sep 17vsSt. AndrewsW56-62-1 (0-0)Durkin 66Williams 71Maione 69
Sat, Sep 24@PresbyterianW56-243-1 (1-0)Waddell 189Waddell 105Weaver 94
Sat, Oct 1vsButlerW31-04-1 (2-0)Waddell 76Sparks 180McCurdy 52
Sat, Oct 8@St. Thomas - MinnesotaL27-164-2 (2-1)Waddell 93Williams 74Freeman IV 55
Sat, Oct 15vsMorehead StateW28-265-2 (3-1)Waddell 19Waddell 92Raber 14
Sat, Oct 22@DrakeW48-146-2 (4-1)Durkin 89Sparks 80Berry 52
Sat, Nov 5vsStetsonW56-48 2OT7-2 (5-1)Durkin 160McCurdy 111Raber 89
Sat, Nov 12@San DiegoL31-147-3 (5-2)Waddell 212Williams 72Maione 114
Sat, Nov 19vsDaytonW24-238-3 (6-2)Waddell 113Williams 99Weaver 80
DATEOPPONENTTIMETVTICKETS
FCS CHAMPIONSHIP - FIRST ROUND
Sat, Nov 26@RichmondRichmond2:00 PM

Just like the A10 championship game in basketball. Spiders will prevail. Hopefully Abell is able to convince them to go scholarship one day and help start A10 football.

Reactions: urfan1
The one wild card and you hate to worry about it is the blocking scheme. Option teams cut block which puts your lineman at risk every play, in a spot where we are razor thin. We have some depth at LB and in theory we can wear them down. Jump to an early late and make them chase.

I agree with nuts. There are only 24 teams left. Each team have something to prove. AGS board not giving Davidson a chance. On paper we should prevail. Hence, this is why we play the game. GO SPIDERS!

Last edited:
I agree with nuts. There are only 24 teams left. Each team have something to prove. AGS board not giving Davidson a chance. On paper we should prevail. Hence, this is why we play the game. GO SPIDERS!
2022 Playoffs Round 1: Davidson @ Richmond

Unfortunately, their strength, the option game, matches up well against our defense, especially our defensive line. The option is assignment football. Good option teams control the clock and gain a lot of yards on the ground. Good teams against the Spiders run the football down our throats. Davidson averages 350 yards per game on the ground. If Spiders' defense follows their assignments and controls the option looks, the Spiders can win. When W&M used the option, we had no answer.

Reactions: Under Center
Fans are allowed to look ahead in games they are favored in. If the coaching staff and players are thinking like us then I would be worried, which I don't believe they are. Davidson isn't even the champ of their conference as it was St. Thomas, a team reclassifying from Division III in their 2nd year in FCS. They do not offer scholarships in the pioneer league. That puts them at a major disadvantage going up against a school with 63 more to give. You often see how we perform against schools with just 20+ more, usually a convincing L.

That being said Davidson provides unique challenges that could be challenging. Triple option when run efficiently is very difficult to defend. Abell is also a very good coach and knows how to build a program and wouldn't be surprised if he has a few tricks up his sleeve to keep it competitive early. Comparing William and Mary's triple option vs Davidsons is an apples and oranges debate. WM had bigger, stronger, faster athletes to impose their will on us. Not to mention a dual threat at QB who could make you pay with his arm and leg.
I imagine we don't turn the ball over, and limit the big passing plays we'll be pulling our starters out midway through the 2nd half. Play stupid and we could find ourselves in a rock fight.

Those of us old to remember may recall the 1998 loss to Lehigh in the NCAA playoffs when we were a 3 seed and them a non scholarship 14 seed. Hopefully Huesman plays some footage of that game to make sure they understand that it has happened here before.

IDK about y'all, but I love the thought of beating one of our big basketball rivals on the grid iron as an appetizer to our basketball game against them.

Yeah, William and Mary running backs are just a BIT more talented than Davidson's running backs.

I will say, it's damn impressive that Abell is "able" to win anything at Davidson. How many kids who are decent football players are hungry to pay $60k a year and have to achieve academically at such a high level, too? You'd think some lousy, inexpensive schools in that league would dominate it every year, so kudos to him.

Reactions: Spidermaniac
Yeah, William and Mary running backs are just a BIT more talented than Davidson's running backs.

I will say, it's damn impressive that Abell is "able" to win anything at Davidson. How many kids who are decent football players are hungry to pay $60k a year and have to achieve academically at such a high level, too? You'd think some lousy, inexpensive schools in that league would dominate it every year, so kudos to him.
I love the PL and wish more schools would offer that brand of football rather than not having it at all. Its a cheaper way to start D1FB and isn't as strict with regards to title IX since its non-schollie. St. Thomas was kicked out of their league because they kept dominating it so much and now they're already getting publicity because people are up in arms they weren't playoff eligible (Along with Merrimack).

The thing is it is more of a D3 model for football than DI. That model tends to favor the smarter schools. At the D3 schools level, its schools like W&L dominating the overall landscape or large state schools. Pioneer league only has one state school (Morehead St.) which isn't exactly a hotbed for football.

If a state school like FGCU hired a competent staff I could see them becoming dominant in a league like that much like CNU was in the USAS. State school with superior facilities and cheaper classes. Another school that comes to mind would be UNCG. VCU wouldn't do it, but they would clean up in a league like that.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I love the PL and wish more schools would offer that brand of football rather than not having it at all. Its a cheaper way to start D1FB and isn't as strict with regards to title IX since its non-schollie. St. Thomas was kicked out of their league because they kept dominating it so much and now they're already getting publicity because people are up in arms they weren't playoff eligible (Along with Merrimack).

The thing is it is more of a D3 model for football than DI. That model tends to favor the smarter schools. At the D3 schools level, its schools like W&L dominating the overall landscape or large state schools. Pioneer league only has one state school (Morehead St.) which isn't exactly a hotbed for football.

If a state school like FGCU hired a competent staff I could see them becoming dominant in a league like that much like CNU was in the USAS. State school with superior facilities and cheaper classes. Another school that comes to mind would be UNCG. VCU wouldn't do it, but they would clean up in a league like that.
”…Pioneer league only has one state school (Morehead St.) which isn't exactly a hotbed for football..”

Dont tell Phil Simms that…

• Haha
Reactions: Spidermaniac

Davidson Wildcats Schedule 2022​

Regular Season
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)HI PASSHI RUSHHI REC
Sat, Sep 3@Jacksonville StateL35-170-1 (0-0)Durkin 32McCurdy 76Maione 26
Sat, Sep 10vsBarton CollegeW37-171-1 (0-0)Waddell 32Williams 84Raber 19
Sat, Sep 17vsSt. AndrewsW56-62-1 (0-0)Durkin 66Williams 71Maione 69
Sat, Sep 24@PresbyterianW56-243-1 (1-0)Waddell 189Waddell 105Weaver 94
Sat, Oct 1vsButlerW31-04-1 (2-0)Waddell 76Sparks 180McCurdy 52
Sat, Oct 8@St. Thomas - MinnesotaL27-164-2 (2-1)Waddell 93Williams 74Freeman IV 55
Sat, Oct 15vsMorehead StateW28-265-2 (3-1)Waddell 19Waddell 92Raber 14
Sat, Oct 22@DrakeW48-146-2 (4-1)Durkin 89Sparks 80Berry 52
Sat, Nov 5vsStetsonW56-48 2OT7-2 (5-1)Durkin 160McCurdy 111Raber 89
Sat, Nov 12@San DiegoL31-147-3 (5-2)Waddell 212Williams 72Maione 114
Sat, Nov 19vsDaytonW24-238-3 (6-2)Waddell 113Williams 99Weaver 80
DATEOPPONENTTIMETVTICKETS
FCS CHAMPIONSHIP - FIRST ROUND
Sat, Nov 26@RichmondRichmond2:00 PM
We better not lose this game. Davidson beat a bunch of on-line schools and lost to a couple of them. DeVry and Strayer.

Last edited:
I can’t get used to PL as Pioneer League
I am used to PL=Patriot, PFL=Pioneer (Football) League

Last edited:
Scott and Tafon will definitely have the Wildcats bringing their best. These two former Spider players always brought their “BEST “ to each Spider’s games😩

I just don’t see us rising above Sacramento in round 2. Haven’t won the big game yet this season.

I just don’t see us rising above Sacramento in round 2. Haven’t won the big game yet this season.
We beat three playoff teams, lost to one in OT away and played a seeded team very competitively at home.
Yes, Sac State is good, but Spiders throw it per game for more yards than they hold teams to on average. Rushing game does not match up as well, but even after William and Mary still only giving up 120 per game and our game notes show we are pretty healthy for this weekend's game. First let's win that one and hope we come out of it healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT