ADVERTISEMENT

Darren Buchanan - 2022 Offer

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Interesting that we're making a SF offer...6'5", 190 kid out of Woodrow Wilson HS in DC, but sounds like his coach stepped away and will likely be making a school change for the fall. Plays on Team Durant with Rodney Rice.

Got a bunch of solid offers last summer (X, VCU, Seton Hall, Rutgers, URI, but his offers this year have been lower level (Howard, Radford, UMBC, Iona, Fordham) until a Bona offer a couple of days ago. Has said he's been hearing from Butler and Ohio State recently though.

Wonder what made him drop from those high quality offers to lesser ones

Northeastern offer. Also picked up a Towson offer alongside ours yesterday.

Edit: Also a Charlotte offer today.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
the offer sure makes a lot more sense hearing he' s now 6'7" 225 than it did based on verbal commits size of 6'5" 190!

GW still interested in Buchanan (they offered him over a year ago), who will also be taking a visit to JMU this weekend.

Reactions: SFspidur
We need to get in that kitchen!
Send Mooney, MoJo, Jonesy, and a couple of glass shalf full posters who won't bash Mooney in front of the family like UR Fan2, Long Island Spider, GCarter and kneepadmckinney.

We need to get in that kitchen!
Send Mooney, MoJo, Jonesy, and a couple of glass shalf full posters who won't bash Mooney in front of the family like UR Fan2, Long Island Spider, GCarter and kneepadmckinney.
I have never bashed Mooney at all. Spider-Man you erroneously slander me. I demand an apology.

I have never bashed Mooney at all. Spider-Man you erroneously slander me. I demand an apology.
" UR Fan2, Long Island Spider, GCarter and kneepadmckinney." The list of posters who haven't and won't bash Mooney...

Maybe it was oddly phrased?

Reactions: gcarter52
" UR Fan2, Long Island Spider, GCarter and kneepadmckinney." The list of posters who haven't and won't bash Mooney...

Maybe it was oddly phrased?
Cool, I love my alma mater, I bleed Spider Red no matter what!! Thanks for the clarification.

GCarter, my intent was to credit you ... not defame you! I'd want you at that table.
Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: gcarter52
Me too. Friday night. Maybe drinking started early, I dunno, but Spider Nation is most always entertaining. :)

I don’t get Pitt asking him to hold off until they figure out their recruiting?
Hey, wait and let us see if we can get someone better
I don’t get it, unless he’s in love with Pitt.
it's common, and it really lets you know where you stand.
I'm sure they have offers out for the position to players A, B and C. Buchanan is D or E to them. they like him, just not as much as the others.

if A, B & C go elsewhere then they'll offer. some kids dream of a certain team or conference and they'll wait.
personally, I'd want to pick a program where I'm really wanted ... whether or not it's us.

Reactions: VT4700 and Zeeter
Buchanan taking an unofficial to Pitt this weekend.

unofficial means the school doesn't pay for your transportation, food or lodging. I guess you can stay for free with a guy on the team though.

if a school loves you they cover all costs and roll out the red carpet. Pitt clearly doesn't love you enough, Darren. whatever you choose, go somewhere where they do.

Reactions: spider23
Yep, I am sure if I was in his shoes, the bright lights of the ACC would be very hard to pass up. Agree with sman here, they are basically playing Darren as a back up option. Getting garbage time vs Duke and UNC is not going to advance your career necessarily.

Reactions: spiderman
unofficial means the school doesn't pay for your transportation, food or lodging. I guess you can stay for free with a guy on the team though.

if a school loves you they cover all costs and roll out the red carpet. Pitt clearly doesn't love you enough, Darren. whatever you choose, go somewhere where they do.
Unofficial visits are very common. It doesn't mean a school doesn't want a guy. And, with players only allowed five official visits, many times it will be the player's decision to take an unofficial visit.

Reactions: Zeeter
Unofficial visits are very common. It doesn't mean a school doesn't want a guy. And, with players only allowed five official visits, many times it will be the player's decision to take an unofficial visit.
Shh..

Sman is playing a specific narrative for a specific situation…

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
there's no way Buchanan turned down an official visit offer to go unofficial to Pitt. I can't believe I even had to type that.

you can take 5 officials between 8/1 and 7/31 of junior year and another 5 officials between 8/1 and 7/31 of senior year. (5 more if you go post grad). Buchanan has plenty left. and Pitt is the highest level program talking to him.

visits are expensive. Pitt will have a bigger recruiting budget than most. I don't know how many they're allowed in a year though. anyone? SpiderDad?

unofficials are unlimited, and they make a ton of sense for more local options.

I can unofficial all I want to Richmond 2 hrs away or GW or JMU. but I'll take the per diem mileage to Pittsburgh and hotel and the meals, etc.

Buchanan has said he wants to visit as many schools as possible, so it's not surprising at all that he and Pittsburgh have agreed on an unofficial visit there. I think he has already taken an official visit to JMU, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has a few official visits to BCS schools in mind as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT