ADVERTISEMENT

Conference history for UR and thinking at the time.

Scholarly article. A vision for survival and relevance.Written by a Chuck Burton of Lehigh footballnation.com

The guy is better versed about UR football than 95% of the UR posters.

A very interesting story. I was a kid and UR student when most of this installment was playing itself out. I don’t recall worrying too much about the future of UR football at the time, just whether, or not, we’d win the next game.

I was mostly interested in the parties before the games, the games themselves and the road trips. Those are great memories.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks for posting.

Go Spiders!

Reactions: urfan1
Great article.

One point I question. In the era discussed, UR was foremost a football school and basketball was a second thought at best. Attributing some of our thinking on conference (non-conference) affiliation to potentially qualifying for any national basketball tournament seems a stretch. Never happened before 1984.

Mr. Robins changed that with his love of the sport and funding a top notch arena for a school our size. Believe our basketball program largely grew from this man's vision and generosity.

Great article.

One point I question. In the era discussed, UR was foremost a football school and basketball was a second thought at best. Attributing some of our thinking on conference (non-conference) affiliation to potentially qualifying for any national basketball tournament seems a stretch. Never happened before 1984.

Mr. Robins changed that with his love of the sport and funding a top notch arena for a school our size. Believe our basketball program largely grew from this man's vision and generosity.
And Chuck Boone hiring Dick Tarrant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT