ADVERTISEMENT

Collin Tanner - 2023 Signee

I could not find the article, but clearly remember Jeff Myers talking about contingent offers - i.e. you have the slot if player A,B,C don't come. That is not actionable. Basically was the gist that was how he came to Richmond, had to wait for other guys to fall through.
But, not sure a recruit wants to put these type of "offers" out there. Let's say a bunch of A-10 schools offers a guy, and Hubert Davis tells him he might have a spot for him if 4 guys go elsewhere. Does he really want to tweet out he got offered by Richmond, St Bona, and UNC?

Not saying they are fake offers but there are degrees to offers.
It happens more than you think...quite a bit actually. What is a school/coach going to do, "say no we didn't" I've seen offers made and they knew the kid wasn't going there but did it to build relationships with AAU programs, I know its crazy but it happens.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
It happens more than you think...quite a bit actually. What is a school/coach going to do, "say no we didn't" I've seen offers made and they knew the kid wasn't going there but did it to build relationships with AAU programs, I know its crazy but it happens.
can you explain this more? so is it a lower level school "offering" a kid knowing he's not going there?

can you explain this more? so is it a lower level school "offering" a kid knowing he's not going there?
I've seen it from the MM and HM level. I've seen a school that offered tell a kid to hang on if he wanted to commit as well. Kids list offers all the time they never received and some have done it as honest mistakes like a school is expressing interest but the kid takes that as "an offer". Generally it is not an offer until you hear from the HC. at least in our experience. IF you are a younger recruit who can't officially talk to coaches, the offer generally comes through kids AAU program director or HS coach.

IF you are a younger recruit who can't officially talk to coaches, the offer generally comes through kids AAU program director or HS coach.
Good stuff all around, this point I was curious about and had questioned in the past - b/c kids were listing offers - and yet they were not old enough to be in contact with the coaches. This explains it. Kind of a circuitous route, but guess it gives the school the opportunity to say "we were in early, we were first offer, etc"

Good stuff all around, this point I was curious about and had questioned in the past - b/c kids were listing offers - and yet they were not old enough to be in contact with the coaches. This explains it. Kind of a circuitous route, but guess it gives the school the opportunity to say "we were in early, we were first offer, etc"
Yeah I was curious too early on. Kids can’t talk until I think it’s still June 15 after their Soph yr in HS officially. I saw it start happening with DayRon Sharpe’s his Fr & Soph yr. and some other guys. June 15 is always an exciting time for kids to get those 1st calls. Also could be disappointing as well if they don’t get those calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23
I know Bryant was putting out a ton of offers early to kids through AAU programs. but in their case, I think they just wanted their name out there. they knew kids wouldn't commit that early as those kids all believed they were going to get higher offers later. some never got another.

nobody I knew was told to wait in line, but I guess that happens too if you say so.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I could not find the article, but clearly remember Jeff Myers talking about contingent offers - i.e. you have the slot if player A,B,C don't come. That is not actionable. Basically was the gist that was how he came to Richmond, had to wait for other guys to fall through.

Yeah & speaking of Myers I cant remember who said this it may have been Myers or even Wainwright, but that Wainwright had seen Myers while out recruiting with UNCW and couldn't believe Beilein took him at Richmond. And he ended up being a solid player for both coaches.

Reactions: spider23 and urfan1
How are you having such a hard time with this? They are not all actionable otherwise some teams would have 25 kids in their incoming freshman class.
how are you having such a hard time with this? as of last week we had offers out to Tanner, Durkin, Ball and Reed. all those offers were actionable. any of them could call Mooney and accept and he'd take them.

that doesn't mean we have 4 spots open. we don't. we're not going to add 3 wings. once the spots we do have are fill, THEN the remaining offers aren't actionable. kid gets a call and is told that the spot is gone.

Will be interesting to see if Durkin and Ball still take their scheduled visits to UR in the next few weeks. Are we going to try to keep things going with them in case something opens up for whatever reason?

Reactions: spiderman
Will be interesting to see if Durkin and Ball still take their scheduled visits to UR in the next few weeks. Are we going to try to keep things going with them in case something opens up for whatever reason?
I'm not sure we need something to open up. We might already know Tyler and Crabtree won't be here after this year.

I'm not sure we need something to open up. We might already know Tyler and Crabtree won't be here after this year.
I think we're already assuming one won't be. that's why we got Tanner. the other we (fans) don't know about. would love an interview with Connor to hear his plans, but he's clearly under no obligation to decide or disclose.

Hopefully we already know Tyler is gone, because I'm pretty sure we just gave his scholarship to Tanner. (Have to think we're still all in on Reed to fill our need for a big.)

But yes, if we know Crab is done after this year, then sure. And maybe Durkin/Ball visiting gives us a bit of a hint that he may have already decided.

(Edit: Got distracted in the middle of my post and spiderman beat me to it.)

Reactions: spiderman
I think we're already assuming one won't be. that's why we got Tanner. the other we (fans) don't know about. would love an interview with Connor to hear his plans, but he's clearly under no obligation to decide or disclose.
Mooney mentioned Crabtree along with Grace and Goose when talking about guys who decided to come back. Just seems like if they had that conversation about this year, next year is probably not even on Crabtree's radar. We will see. Just my opinion that we might already know something. I could definitely see Crabtree, after graduating last year, being ready to move on after 5 years of college, and telling Mooney he decided he wanted to play another year this year, but that is it.

Mooney mentioned Crabtree along with Grace and Goose when talking about guys who decided to come back. Just seems like if they had that conversation about this year, next year is probably not even on Crabtree's radar. We will see. Just my opinion that we might already know something. I could definitely see Crabtree, after graduating last year, being ready to move on after 5 years of college, and telling Mooney he decided he wanted to play another year this year, but that is it.
maybe ... but we don't know.

if Durkin and/or Ball still visit, then I'll assume Crabtree is in his last year.

nothing against Crabtree, but yeah that would be sweet.
4 years vs 1 more year. both guys are impressive.

if Durkin and/or Ball still visit, then I'll assume Crabtree is in his last year.

I wouldn't assume that necessarily. Because u could more easily assume we'll have a transfer and have spot anyway. Like u said we don't know if he returns. He could have a big year and want to return due to role and get a real 2 year grad degree idk. But we always have a transfer. Much less than other programs but we consistently do. Even if Crabtree is more likely not to return those odds are still less than us having someone leave via transfer. That's closer to 100%. So I think you always have to be recruiting.

Especially with the way the transfer market is, seems like less incentive to overrecruit and bank on a spot opening up and risk having to show someone the door who doesn't want to leave. Mooney can wait until spring to see who actually transfers out and then backfill where there are holes. Plenty of quality, experienced guys will be available in the portal.

True regarding the transfers, I still believe that this is Crab's last season, and our offers to Durkin and Ball stand.

Would love to go ahead and get Reed. He would have a big opportunity to get PT next season here I feel, and love his skillset of being hard nosed down low, but super confident in his 3 point shot.

Reactions: VT4700
Reed could certainly spell Quinn 10 mpg if he beat out Walz.
and while not typical for a Mooney line-up ... I'd love to see him fight for time next to Quinn at the big forward spot.

Agree sman about Reed potentially playing next to Quinn. I think it is similar to the issue with pairing Grace with Quinn this year, will that combo be athletic enough to play defense at a sufficient level. I certainly see Reed as having a skill set to play either effectively.

I think next year you have both Bigelow and Noyes moving between the 3 and 4 but definitely think Reed looks good enough to get time at the 4 next to Quinn.

Yep, Reed definitely feels like a Grace type capable of playing both the 4 and 5, if we used position numbers. Maybe a little undersized compared to a true 5 like Quinn/Golden, but not as quick as many 4s, so bit of a tweener that we could use in either spot depending on matchups or other needs. Geriot was still very effective at the 5 at "only" 6'9" and no hops, especially after his surgery.

I don't think we offer a spot we don't know we have "just in case". we'll see.

maybe but we won’t know. We have a pretty good history of kids using their bonus year & we also have a history of losing a transfer. If…if they r still plan A recruits I don’t think it’s a bad strategy to factor in that anticipation of someone leaving. I agree it’s good to save for a transfer or 2 but we could conceivably still have 3-4 open ships.

But, you can't get to 14 scholarships and then just factor on someone leaving. Even if guys don't get good playing time, they might want to stay.

But, you can't get to 14 scholarships and then just factor on someone leaving. Even if guys don't get good playing time, they might want to stay.

well then why r we still recruiting anyone such as Reed? By that logic we r maxed out right now with 13.

or future transfer

Reactions: GKiller
well then why r we still recruiting anyone such as Reed? By that logic we r maxed out right now with 13.
Because we might already know with Tyler and Crabtree. We are not the only program who might find out early if guys are coming back or not. Teams certainly aren't just going to wait for all eligible guys to make decisions the following spring. They find things out early. There is a difference in knowing about Tyler and Crabtree and just guessing about a possible future transfer.

Last edited:
Because we might already know with Tyler and Crabtree. We are not the only program who might find out early if guys are coming back or not. Teams certainly aren't just going to wait for all eligible guys to make decisions the following spring. They find things out early. There is a difference in knowing about Tyler and Crabtree and just guessing about a possible future transfer.

I get it but it’s a little strange to say u can’t factor someone leaving & then do exactly that in the very next post. Also imo I don’t think it’s guessing about a future transfer when it happens basically every year.

I realize it look to us that Burton & Crabtree r gone but I’m just saying historically our odds r way higher to have a transfer. Also god forbid Burton has an injury or something that could change his whole thinking. Or like I said what if Crabtree had a big year. Yes for sure they both could be leaning this is last year but it’s early.

Plus all I was saying originally is whether Ball or Durkin visit or don’t visit I wouldn’t make the assumption it’s tied to Crabtree, there r number of other options. For all we know they solely were plan B’s after Tanner & that’s why no visits I don’t know. And the offers r no longer “actionable” or whatever that nonsense was. Hope we r still on them & there’s value in visits even if they go elsewhere.

Any way you look at it, Tanner was determined to be a priority by our staff, visited and decided to become a Spider. We committed to him and he committed to us. Mooney said a week ago he now only has an A List for incoming recruits and the transfer portal becomes the B List based on needs. We have secured verbals from two priority recruits. Celebrate the success. No doubt both of these recruits would have received many more offers as the bigger programs needed to fill spots that were not taken by their priority recruits. These two guys decided early they wanted to be Spiders because they saw what we have to offer and it was good enough for them to make a decision to commit before we moved on to our next option to fill our needs.

No doubt both of these recruits would have received many more offers as the bigger programs needed to fill spots that were not taken by their priority recruits.
I agree that the commits to date are to be celebrated. However, I disagree with the statement above. I think it is much more likely that the P5 programs are doing the same thing that Mooney has stated. Go for A list targets and then pull from portal as needed. To me it makes much more sense for the big programs to wait and see how a “second tier” recruit fares at a lower level collegiate program than to keep the player on their bench. It is just the new world that has been created by the portal and the transfer rules. I am not saying I like it, but to me that is the reality. Mid-majors are going to be able to land higher level HS recruits. The question is will they we able to retain them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT