ADVERTISEMENT

Collin Tanner - 2023 Signee

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
6'7" SG/SF out of Creedmoor, NC and Wayne Country Day, so Spiderdad might have some insight on this guy. Looks like only lower-level offers so far...Columbia, Brown (so, academics are good!), High Point, Coastal, UNCG, and Campbell. Campbell offered almost a year ago, so the smart money says Peter Thomas must have gotten onto him for us. Or maybe it was Boyden, as UNCG just offered him a month ago. Probably doesn't hurt that both coaches were familiar with him.

Last edited:
6'7" SG/SF out of Creedmoor, NC and Wayne Country Day, so Spiderdad might have some insight on this guy. Looks like only lower-level offers so far...Columbia, Brown (so, academics are good!), High Point, Coastal, UNCG, and Campbell. Campbell offered almost a year ago, so the smart money says Peter Thomas must have gotten onto him for us.

Says 6'7" but angle of photo makes Mooney look taller?

Collin has picked up offers from UNCW and App State in the past couple of days.

Picked up offers from Lehigh and Chatty and announced he's transferring to Combine Academy outside of Charlotte.

he can shoot.

At the absolute least, he’s a 6-foot-6 knockdown shooter with size, range, and fluidity. That being said, Tanner is way more than just a shooter. He’s proven capable of legitimately leading a team, propelling Wayne Country Day to a 25-8 record while posting nightly averages of 21.7 PPG, 7.8 RPG, and 1.3 SPG with ridiculously impressive 65/43/74 shooting splits.

Reactions: urfan1
SF, your update from that tweet is that Tanner is visiting UNCG and not that Kendall Campbell is on an unofficial with Richmond? Are these guys teammates and the same year? Seems odd.

Reactions: regatw
SF, your update from that tweet is that Tanner is visiting UNCG and not that Kendall Campbell is on an unofficial with Richmond? Are these guys teammates and the same year? Seems odd.
I also posted the tweet in the general recruiting thread for the Campbell part of it.

Both of them are transferring in to Combine for their final year. Tanner was at Wayne Country Day, while Campbell spent last year at The Skill Factory but was rehabbing an ACL.

pretty sure we're looking to land just one of the Tanner, Durkin, Ball group.
they're visiting in that order. Tanner's got the 1st shot to lock it down.
if you feel it ... don't hesitate, Collin!

I think Durkin and Ball should be sweating right now.
I could never be this patient possibly letting my decision be made for me.

Reactions: Stork3
pretty sure we're looking to land just one of the Tanner, Durkin, Ball group.
they're visiting in that order. Tanner's got the 1st shot to lock it down.
if you feel it ... don't hesitate, Collin!

I think Durkin and Ball should be sweating right now.
I could never be this patient possibly letting my decision be made for me.
If Crabtree does not return, no reason why we wouldn't take 2 of these guys. Add Reed, and the already committed Smith, and that would be one heck of a class.

Reactions: spider23
I like the looks of his game, hope we can land him. Like Fezz, I like the shooter. I'll take Ball too. That would be a super class with Reed, with u on that 4700. These wings can flex between positions and play together. Would be really good to add two of these to Noyes and Randolph.

Reactions: VT4700
If Crabtree does not return, no reason why we wouldn't take 2 of these guys. Add Reed, and the already committed Smith, and that would be one heck of a class.
absolutely. I just don't think we'll know about Crabtree until April. and I'm confident we won't fill a spot we don't have. we'll wait.
but yes, if he's told Mooney he's leaving then take two. but I don't expect that.

absolutely. I just don't think we'll know about Crabtree until April. and I'm confident we won't fill a spot we don't have. we'll wait.
but yes, if he's told Mooney he's leaving then take two. but I don't expect that.
I think there is a good chance we already know. He has already graduated, he has been injured a few times, and he wouldn't get a lot of minutes if he stayed. The conversation after last season was probably about coming back for this year or not, with 2 more years not even being considered.

might be right. but there's a chance Crabtree could be further along in his recovery and we might not have seen the best of him yet.

in Mooney's interview he talked about the "cloudy" nature of recruiting through the Covid bonus years. that's probably just in regards to Crabtree this year. we all assume Tyler is done after this season and we all assume Quinn and Bigelow will return.

I think there is a good chance we already know. He has already graduated, he has been injured a few times, and he wouldn't get a lot of minutes if he stayed….
I agree. I would be surprised if Crabtree stayed. So you have a minimum of 2 spots and likely 4 plus the wildcard of having up to 6. All that being said, it doesn’t seem likely that all available spots would be filled by high school players because of the portal and instant eligibility. The portal was such a big part of assembling this year’s team and I think you would wait to see how everyone gels/develops before filling the roster.

I agree. I would be surprised if Crabtree stayed. So you have a minimum of 2 spots and likely 4 plus the wildcard of having up to 6. All that being said, it doesn’t seem likely that all available spots would be filled by high school players because of the portal and instant eligibility. The portal was such a big part of assembling this year’s team and I think you would wait to see how everyone gels/develops before filling the roster.
I think if you have a chance for guys you like a lot, you get them now. There are no guarantees with the portal.

Reactions: urfan1
nice! great commitment! a serious shooter with size.
guess we'll find out really quickly if we're just after a big now (Reed), or if we still host Durkin and Ball.

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT