ADVERTISEMENT

College of Charleston Game Thread 11/14/2022

Debating if I’m going to pay the $30 for the monthly subscription
Yeah I’m just going to have to eat this one. Got to see our guys. Thought game was Sunday for some reason until I looked at sched early last week🤦🏼‍♂️ Hoping Zay and Dji bounce back better offensively, thought Djis defense was solid but struggled offensively a little. Keep JayNel going, keep Roche 🔥 and I think we are going to need Neal to be stronger down low bc I think they have a solid big guy…but some can correct me if you know more about CoC Would love to be 3-0 coming back home. 🕷️🏀

Last edited:
Team, I really don’t know much about this Charleston team. I remember they were a good team 2 or 3 years ago but think they have fallen off since. We had a Covid cancellation with them, right?
Real question I have is whether this will be our first test or are we going to have to wait for the shockers game later in the week?

Looks like last season, with new coach Pat Kelsey (from Winthrop), they switched to very uptempo.
Other than Faye 6’8” rebounder from Senegal, They have a couple of bigs who play about 9 minutes each, One has only played this year.

So I am thinking more 6’5” guys with speed ?

Looks like 10 guys in the rotation?

Last edited:
Team, I really don’t know much about this Charleston team. I remember they were a good team 2 or 3 years ago but think they have fallen off since. We had a Covid cancellation with them, right?
Real question I have is whether this will be our first test or are we going to have to wait for the shockers game later in the week?
Picked 4th in this pre-season CAA rankings ...

Ok I just watched most of the Charleston / UNC replay from Friday night on ESPN+. Encourage others to do the same. A few observations:
1. Charleston has some real talent on the team — much better than I was expecting.
2. Best players seem to be 2 (pg), 3 (sg) and 5 (sf/pf). 5 will be a match up problem and we will definitely need goose to step up. #2 is their best shooter.
3. They shot lights out from 3 in first half. If they’re hitting at a similar clip for 40 minutes it will be tough to beat them.
4. They are a strong offensive rebounding team, mostly as a result of their hustle.
Im guessing Richmond will be a 2 or 3 point underdog but my money will be on the Spiders!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
Ok I just watched most of the Charleston / UNC replay from Friday night on ESPN+. Encourage others to do the same. A few observations:
1. Charleston has some real talent on the team — much better than I was expecting.
2. Best players seem to be 2 (pg), 3 (sg) and 5 (sf/pf). 5 will be a match up problem and we will definitely need goose to step up. #2 is their best shooter.
3. They shot lights out from 3 in first half. If they’re hitting at a similar clip for 40 minutes it will be tough to beat them.
4. They are a strong offensive rebounding team, mostly as a result of their hustle.
Im guessing Richmond will be a 2 or 3 point underdog but my money will be on the Spiders!
Suspect they won't score anywhere near 86 against us, so the question will be whether they can handle a slower pace or whether we will frustrate them.

Suspect they won't score anywhere near 86 against us, so the question will be whether they can handle a slower pace or whether we will frustrate them.
Not sure our defense is better than UNC so wouldn’t make that assumption necessarily. Our offensive pace will certainly be slower.

Love that. Just nothing about the unc game should suggest we will hold them to less points. Who else has watched their recent game?
Wouldn’t be surprised at anything.
But I wonder if UNC tried to outscore them more than slow them down?

I watched maybe 6 or 7 game minutes of the second half and it was a track meet. Cougars have some talent, scrappy bunch. We should be okay, just need to shoot a little better.

Love that. Just nothing about the unc game should suggest we will hold them to less points. Who else has watched their recent game?
I just watched the replay. Looks like a quality opponent and will easily be the hardest game to date and for the week (Wichita St not good this year). Better on offense than defense, but then again they were playing against UNC. Played 10 and I didn't see any glaring weaknesses. Didn't play a true center, but have a number of good options in the forward spot, including one from Croatia, who can step out and hit the 3. Guard play was solid, but looked like they could get sped up and forced to take lower quality shots. Cougars can definitely score, so Spiders will have to control the game. Seems like the key will be what the Spiders can do in the post.

I just watched the replay. Looks like a quality opponent and will easily be the hardest game to date and for the week (Wichita St not good this year). Better on offense than defense, but then again they were playing against UNC. Played 10 and I didn't see any glaring weaknesses. Didn't play a true center, but have a number of good options in the forward spot, including one from Croatia, who can step out and hit the 3. Guard play was solid, but looked like they could get sped up and forced to take lower quality shots. Cougars can definitely score, so Spiders will have to control the game. Seems like the key will be what the Spiders can do in the post.
Really good take, RichmondNative.

Does anybody know if Flo Hoops will have a replay of this game available later in the evening or if it is live only?

I wondered the same thing but have found no reference. Wish we could dumo Flosports.

I’m thinking it sucks I have to miss watching one of our games
Flosports is the absolute worst. Enjoyed listening to the football game vs Delaware because I refuse to give them any of my money. Got WM next month and thankfully done with them until next year I believe. Really wish we’d stop scheduling CAA road games.

Flosports is the absolute worst. Enjoyed listening to the football game vs Delaware because I refuse to give them any of my money. Got WM next month and thankfully done with them until next year I believe. Really wish we’d stop scheduling CAA road games.
If I could listen to the radio broadcast I would, it sucks that this game is behind such a crazy paywall

I see a loss tonight. Just not sure this team is ready yet for a road test. Of course hope they prove I’m very wrong. Usually we also drop an early ooc game. & the -3 spread feels like a Vegas tease to take UR.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Last night I googled Flohoops, clicked on a game. When asked to Open in App, I selected No Thanks and was able to watch the game. I assume this is due to having a subscription in FloSports. Will see if it works for CoC game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT