ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Candidates

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Watched some of Wyoming play last night, very impressive coach and resume for Jeff Linder. Per the Wyoming profile, known as an offensive guru, BUT I heard an extensive interview last year and he was speaking about modeling his defense, and defensive intensity and culture after SDSU - so he does recognize that both offensed AND defense are important. Last night, announcers spoke about how he studies a lot of European basketball for ideas - and his top player is a guard that is not a great shooter, so he used ideas from the euro ball he watched to put him positions to be successful. Two turn around jobs as a HC. Lots of innovation and curiousity on how to do things better. That is what drives me crazy about Mooney and his staff, for being an Ivy league grad, he is such a dullard stuck in his ways until the are so outdated the AD makes him change something. This guy, like Wes MIller, is evaluating and adapting, not stuck in his same ways sipping his damned sippy cup all day.

Doubting Linder would be ready to make the move, but this is the type of candidate we need to pursue.

Someone mentioned the South Dakota State Coach: Greg Henderson. not bad either.

Let's start our own search committee here. I want to find 15-20 stellar candidates. I will say I am not as enamored with the assistant to the successful head coach, with no coaching experience. I have seen too many of those guys fail - just like all of the Belichick assistants. Not saying they always fail, but give me someone with HC experience that has turned around programs and pulled himself up by his boot straps.

How about a look at Leon Rice from Boise State. 242-143 during his time there, that’s 62.9% winning. And his second year there they moved up from the WAC to the MW

Feel like we can get an up and comer but wouldn’t mind him being a safety look

Purely a PNW/Mountain guy...doesn't always translate for recruiting, although he did land Burke Smith out of Trinity lol.

Linder I like but appears to be a West Coast guy and unless lots money (which UR won't do) paid to him more or less a lateral move. The Mountain West has been really strong this season and who knows another good season and a P6 comes calling.

How about a look at Leon Rice from Boise State. 242-143 during his time there, that’s 62.9% winning. And his second year there they moved up from the WAC to the MW

Feel like we can get an up and comer but wouldn’t mind him being a safety look
I like Rice too. Boise having a great season, squaring off vs the Aztecs in MW championship today. Seems pretty entrenched in Boise, in a good conference, nice place to live, etc. Same issues as LInder, he is a western guy it seems. I think Linder only having two years at Wyoming, which is in middle of nowhere, may be better target, but point probably moot.

Mooney needs to shift directions here, convince Grace to stay, and get an athletic 4 from the transfer portal to pair him with. And we need a couple guys to step up as shooters (two out of three from Dji, Randolph, and Noyes).

Reactions: plydogg
I like Rice too. Boise having a great season, squaring off vs the Aztecs in MW championship today. Seems pretty entrenched in Boise, in a good conference, nice place to live, etc. Same issues as LInder, he is a western guy it seems. I think Linder only having two years at Wyoming, which is in middle of nowhere, may be better target, but point probably moot.

Mooney needs to shift directions here, convince Grace to stay, and get an athletic 4 from the transfer portal to pair him with. And we need a couple guys to step up as shooters (two out of three from Dji, Randolph, and Noyes).
Oof, don’t even talk about next year. I gives me the shakes. Single digit wins.

I have been one of Mooney's biggest critics here, and I'm not ready to quite give him a pass yet. But DAMN in the past 4 games, that is some of the best in-game coaching ever from Chris Mooney. My hat is off to you coach, that was fantastic.

I may need to have sinsemillaspider come over and help me down from this adrenaline spike....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT