ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2016

Ulla1

Head Coach
Apr 21, 2011
Picked up "The Collegian" during a visit to campus today. Amazing statistics for the incoming class of 2016: 604 were straight A students, representation from 47 states and 75 countries, 87 valedictorians, and 255 students scored at least one perfect 800 on an SAT section. Further, one in eight students speak a native language other than English. Pretty impressive!

Not trying to sound snide, but I'm more concerned about how much they learn and what they do once they leave.

As a non-native who now proudly calls VA his home, I completely agree with you Fan. UR is a great way to pull some of the best talent from around the world and bring it to Richmond. We just need to find ways to do a better job of keeping that talent here once it's on campus.

05' I agree, we need this talent to improve our community as well as making a name elsewhere. One concern I have, in our quest for higher scores what are we missing? Would Claiborne Robins, or Bobby Ukrop be accepted today? I cannot speak to their personal situation, but from what I know of them probably not.

They may not be. I cannot speak for the academic qualities of any of our distinguished alums but in raising the academic requirements, I believe that the thinking is that you will create the next grouping of Robins/Ukrop/Queally/Jepson/Weinstein at more frequent intervals.

I do believe that more leeway should be given for legacy admits, as those students will have a deeper passion for the school. What degree of leeway is debatable. I also think that you reserve a few admits for those related to "influential" people. I'm 99.9% positive we do this as well; hopefully it pays off.

I am proud though that admissions does not simply plug GPAs and SAT scores into a formula to make admission decisions as some other schools do. I do believe that they are searching for quality individuals, not just brianiacs. I don't feel this was the case ~10 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT