ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Knight - Potential 2021 Transfer

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Two-time second-team All-Ivy Chris Knight out of Dartmouth is looking to transfer for the 2021-22 season and we've apparently reached out to him. He just had surgery for a torn Achilles and will miss this entire season, and because he's going to graduate this year, he'll have a year of eligibility to use somewhere else in 2021.

Last season, Knight averaged 14.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.0 assists across 29 games. Down the stretch, he was nearly unstoppable, averaging 19.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game in his final eight, all against Ivy League opponents. In that stretch, Knight shot 72.6 percent from the field, a huge step up for the career 52.4 percent shooter.

https://www.thedartmouth.com/articl...ight-21-tears-achilles-enters-transfer-portal

“I can’t play this year,” he said of his reason for entering the transfer portal. “Ivy League rules say we aren’t able to do grad years at the school we are at.”

So, programs such as Richmond, Loyola-Chicago, Santa Barbara, Western Kentucky and Arkansas, among many others, are making a strong push for the forward, who averaged 14.8 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.0 assist per game on 56-percent shooting from the field.

https://scoopmantv.com/2020/09/02/dartmouth-chris-knight-transfer-recruitment-update-1/

Looks like only 9 career made threes but at 6'7" 225 seems to be very good at assists, blocks, O&D rebounds, and 61.4% from two for his career.

He can contribute for us for sure, but he's no game changer. Step up will be tougher on him than some players with different skill sets.

big strong old-school PF.
he'd have a shot at playing time if healthy. good video of him. definitely not a perimeter threat. we'd need shooters on the floor with him. a lot like Cayo.

Me too Fan1, guy looks like a player - instant impact type of guy. I will give props to Mooney again - really thought we had great balance this year and looked to work inside to Cayo and Grant more than ever. I think a couple years ago we kind of thought if we don't have 4 knock down shooters on the floor at all times we were doomed. Our interest in Knight offers me further proof that Mooney values the inside game going forward.

On another note, picture of Weir starting school, and the video - he looks like he took conditioning seriously this summer. I think he is going to be a monster of a player. Can't wait to see him in games.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
In my time as a Spider I don’t ever remember us being in on so many guys that just pass the eye test. Seems like we always know that a few guys are on scholarship “just because” and that they’ll transfer out. But these past few recruiting cycles it feels very different.

Geez, poor reading comprehension. Went back to SF's first post and realize this guy tore his achilles. Tough injury to come back from. Really like what I see though. If we only sign 4 2021 Freshman, he would definitely be worth a shot for that 5th spot, and if heals up could be a big contributor and fill right into Cayo's role.

Was wondering if the IVY decision would lead to some instant transfers. Some really good players there. IVY has zero tolerance in allowing extra year for injury so it will be interesting to see if any consideration to giving seniors a do over?

Reactions: plydogg
this doesn't change anything for Knight because of the Achilles. maybe there are a couple like Barry who meet graduation requirements in December and grad transfer to immediately play. but I doubt many planned on that.

still, expect a ton of Ivy seniors to finish their degree this spring and hit the grad transfer market after this year now. they all get the redshirt so they have eligibility and can all play immediately next fall.

Any great three-point shooting seniors in the Ivy we could pick up immediately, play this year, AND play all of next year?

Reactions: plydogg
That’s good for us but really weird for Dartmouth to have a current player publicly announce that he might transfer but also, hey, you’re one of the finalists!

It does happen, but at least in this case you have to consider that he elected to enter the portal before all of the eligibility changes for this year were announced. So at the time he chose to transfer, Dartmouth wasn't an option if he wanted to play another year. I actually don't believe the Ivy League has made any adjustments, so if he's still on track to graduate this year, Dartmouth still wouldn't be an option for him. But maybe he's keeping them on there in case something happens that the Ivies change their minds.

1st team all state (Wisconsin) in HS.
2 time 2nd team all-Ivy (soph and junior years).
1144 point scorer with 6 rpg, 2 apg and 99 blocked shots.
would be a one year commitment, 2 years removed from Achilles surgery, and a fit at a position of need as a Cayo replacement.

sounds good to me.

Going back and forth on this one, on one hand - the fact that we are likely losing four senior starters (and I think some have publicly stated last year), it would seem better to have a PF type that fits in with our timeline better. Gets acclimated next year for a run following couple of years -so transfer with 2-3 years or hs recruit.. BUT, in the end I am with sman, would be a great one year fit. We will have Goose back to stabilize the back court, and between Dji/Nelson/Wilson/Crabtree we should have guys ready to contribute in a big way. Burton will be good at 3. And hopefully between Weir/Grace a productive 5. This guy seems like a perfect fit for that purpose. Yes, achilles is concerning, but at 22 YO and 2 year recovery think there is a good chance he will be ready.

agreed, an awesome freshman big forward would be best case so we have him for 4 years. just seems a long shot to land one at this point.

Knight can help for next year. could potentially be a starter. I'm perfectly ok kicking the can down the road a year on the next big forward recruit.

Apparently he was more impressed by Moser's five-sizes-too-large mask and his inability to keep it anywhere near his face than by Mooney's Clear Mask. Dammit.

Is this another Andrew White III? The good old days, when all anyone talked about was AW3, like RG3, it never goes away.

What are you talking about?? Yes, we do have to win some recruiting battles. Mooney is not good. Assistants get you to the table but Millionaire Mooney can't close.

Wasn't last year and the contract extension supposedly going to help this? Already lost a key future big in Weir, and this next class we seemed to lose on all our primary and secondary targets minus Nelson.

I'm not going to lose sleep. good looking interior guy but Achilles surgery in September? meh, I'll wait and see who we get and see what Knight does next year before complaining here.

Reactions: VT4700
I am not so sure a transfer is our best bet. Why not try to get a HS recruit. Someone we can give to minutes next year - let them learn by playing because by all means, next season (assuming no one comes back) - we are going to struggle and best hope would be we finish around .500. But if we can get a good, young big guy - give 15-20 minutes a game along with Grace and Sal, then the following season we have someone stepping into a starting role with 3 years ahead of them.
The key here is - staff needs to find this kid out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT