ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Run

spiderjpo

Assistant Coach
Mar 11, 2004
Yesterday was a real battle with big implications. The Spiders did what they needed to do to get a playoff spot and set up a CAA Championship matchup this Saturday at Robins Stadium. This team has now won 5 straight and has shown the ability to find a way to win with so many different players stepping up when needed. Kudos to the coaches for getting the talent needed to make this run and developing enough depth to maintain it even as injuries have surfaced.

Great job yesterday in all phases to get a win. Defense with a key 4th down stop thanks to Jeremiah Grant beating his man bad to get in the backfield to make a hit and Tristan Wheeler finishing it off both coming from the backside of the play.

How about the guts of our offensive coordinator to give not one but two go routes deep on a 4th down and Reese finding Jerry Garcia streaking by his defender after reading their safety to make a great throw.

Then kudos to the entire special teams unit and especially Jake Larson for stepping up big time with a game winning kick after two other 45 yard plus field goals. Let's also not forget Andrew Lopez who also continued his clutch kicking. Many often have talked on this board about our kicking game, but we now have two kickers that our opponent yesterday would love to have either.

There has also been much talk about our lack of roster depth. Those that closely follow this team realize how this staff has brought in players prior to the season to fill key needs and have developed others to make significant contributions while starters have been out injured.

Great job by the entire team and staff to get us to 8-2, a return to the playoffs and a chance to win a conference championship in our final home game.

Hopefully we can all come together Saturday to pack the stadium with Spider fans and help root this team on to a conference championship and a better seed in the playoffs as we go after an even bigger championship. This team has the pieces to get it done. Many have longed for the past glory and excitement of Spider Football. This team has done their part now as fans let's do ours to create some new memories. See you all Saturday dressed in red and ready to make some noise. Go Spiders.

This team has shown that "something special" in several different ways this season. I feel good going into this weekend!

I’ve been as critical of our coaches as anyone the last few seasons but I’ve been gladly wrong the last two weeks (hadn’t been perfect but these players and coaching staff found a way to win two massive games). To echo @spiderjpo’s thoughts: we need to have a strong fan turnout on Saturday. I understand all the reasons that folks haven’t been packing Robin’s Stadium recently (primarily the product hasn’t been great) but that’s certainly not the case for this game/season. I can’t think of a recent game against the Tribe that has carried more conference and playoff implications and there will be plenty of green and gold in the stands. Grab your neighbors and friends and get them to the stadium on Saturday. I know I’m preaching to the choir on this but the Homecoming turnout for a very good UNH team was dreadful. I’m hopeful this rivalry and the stakes will attract a full house. The team could use it and frankly deserves it. Go spiders.

“the Homecoming turnout for a very good UNH team was dreadful”

UNH doesn’t travel well,not even for Maine(this weekend).The Green and Gold will be well represented this weekend for sure.Brickhouse should be close to being packed on a crisp, late Fall day.A game for all the marbles.

Reactions: mojo-spider
“the Homecoming turnout for a very good UNH team was dreadful”

UNH doesn’t travel well,not even for Maine(this weekend).The Green and Gold will be well represented this weekend for sure.Brickhouse should be close to being packed on a crisp, late Fall day.A game for all the marbles.
I don’t want to get into an argument with a fellow spider on the eve of such a big game but I’ll stand by my comment on the UNH attendance. I actually thought that UNH brought a pretty vocal group…while our home crowd including students was pathetic. Lots of empty seats everywhere but particularly on the home side. It’s water under the bridge at this point…hope we pack Robins on Saturday with red.

…“I don’t want to get into an argument with a fellow spider on the eve of such a big game but I’ll stand by my comment on the UNH attendance….”

God I’m relieved…

Reactions: SpiderRick
…“I don’t want to get into an argument with a fellow spider on the eve of such a big game but I’ll stand by my comment on the UNH attendance….”

God I’m relieved…
Lol, if we were to have this conversation in person on Saturday the first beer would be on me. Your sarcasm is noted and appreciated along with all the great info you post on this board. Go spiders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT