ADVERTISEMENT

Burton declaring for NBA draft, maintaining eligibility

I’m worried the Celtics are taking him in the 2nd round if he’s there. Just something I heard

I wouldn't go if I'm not 1st rd at least. The real money(guaranteed) is in the lottery. I'll use Day'Ron for example...he's the 29th draft pick obviously not lottery, but he did get paid(a lot) but if he would have dropped to the 2nd round he wouldn't have made those millions.

Damn I simply saw the his post and shared it in Twitter saying I can’t wait to see him in Orange and maroon next year. Didn’t even read it, just assumed it was a post about him transferring. Good luck to him in the draft and hope he decides to come back and come join Mike Young!
As an educator...I would tell you reading is essential 😃

Damn I simply saw the his post and shared it in Twitter saying I can’t wait to see him in Orange and maroon next year. Didn’t even read it, just assumed it was a post about him transferring. Good luck to him in the draft and hope he decides to come back and come join Mike Young!
Do you enjoy not being respected by a single person on this board?

Respectfully, no 😄❤️💙🕷️

Wait, you were wrong about something?

some draft info: Apr 24 deadline to declare, May16-22 Draft Combine, and June 1: Withdrawl deadline for NCAA returners

Reactions: spiderman
UR press release with Mooney quote...

"Our entire program is fully behind Tyler's decision," said Richmond coach Chris Mooney. "He is going to be a tremendous professional player and we are committed to doing everything possible to help him throughout this process."

This is what we want to happen. Undergrad players declaring for the NBA draft. Mooney can go out and use this with incoming recruits and say see, we can get you to this point as well.

Based on everything, Tyler has said, I do expect him back in a Spider uniform next year. Unless, some NBA team says, Tyler we are picking you in the first round, than by all means, go for it, Tyler. I don't think that is going to happen though.

I think Tyler has numerous NBA skills (athleticism, great ball instincts, rebounding, a nice shooting stroke), I think he really needs to work on his foot speed on defense and better ball handling though, if he wants to be drafted with any type of guaranteed contract.

probably right, but an NBA team might see the tools and figure they can address any issues.
even if it's a 2nd round pick, they're allowed to guarantee the contract if they want.
if someone told you if you stay in the draft we'll guarantee you 2 years and put you in the G-league for a year to develop, you have to consider it.

probably right, but an NBA team might see the tools and figure they can address any issues.
even if it's a 2nd round pick, they're allowed to guarantee the contract if they want.
if someone told you if you stay in the draft we'll guarantee you 2 years and put you in the G-league for a year to develop, you have to consider it.
yeah while others may know more on this than I do, I can't see why someone would come back to college especially at age 22 if he is told he is likely a 2nd round pick .. cleary I would love to see Tyler back in RC next year but proud if he decides to go the other route.

Last edited:
like with Harper who went in the second round, I believe there was more financial guarantee and perks with first round vs second.

I think he really needs to work on his foot speed on defense and better ball handling though
From what I have seen that's it! Can't let guys get around you easily in the NBA and his ball handling is an issue. Hall from Joe's been higher of late in some mocks and because of handling ball/playing point well for his size with two years younger not hurting. It always youthful potential with the NBA. Looking for that one superstar.

Looked at some mocks and like above one except for Ivey going #1. Chet H dropped to #4. Enough mocks still having him #1. My amateur eyes looking at tourney games and ones in West Coast tourney looks like he might get pushed around big time in the NBA. Says 7' 195 pounds and what I saw didn't create many of his own shots outside of close to the basket.

I think Panchero goes #1. And two players who I like who can put up points in a hurry Mathurin (5th) and Bramham (11th) are higher in this mock than others. Maybe go this high, maybe not?

Back to Tyler like has been mentioned only one team needs to like Tyler enough to say your our man for round 2.. And that team considers him their hidden gem player won't be showing their hand.

My amateur scouting eyes don't see him getting drafted and selfishly glad if he doesn't though at 23 might make him the oldest player to get drafted next year. Like stats and went back to see only 9 out of top 60 NBA picks (3 of the first 32) last year were 22 or older. Though 24 year old Chris Duarte (pick 13th) is getting 28 minutes for the Pacers.

If you can play and be successful at the NBA level, they don't give a damn about your age. Goal is to win. If you can contribute to that better than alternative players, age is irrelevant.

Reactions: Eight Legger
If you can play and be successful at the NBA level, they don't give a damn about your age. Goal is to win. If you can contribute to that better than alternative players, age is irrelevant.
Of course if you can contribute it won't matter. First though you have to get drafted. And the frosh player with comparable talent to the 3-4 year guy has a major advantage in getting picked.

Reactions: Zeeter
If I'm Tyler, I better hear from more than just one team that they're taking me in the second round. Even then I'm probably coming back to try to get that first round money.

Interesting that justyn mutts made that list at #87. Would have been fun had we been able to land him with this crew.

This is what we want to happen. Undergrad players declaring for the NBA draft. Mooney can go out and use this with incoming recruits and say see, we can get you to this point as well.

Based on everything, Tyler has said, I do expect him back in a Spider uniform next year. Unless, some NBA team says, Tyler we are picking you in the first round, than by all means, go for it, Tyler. I don't think that is going to happen though.

I think Tyler has numerous NBA skills (athleticism, great ball instincts, rebounding, a nice shooting stroke), I think he really needs to work on his foot speed on defense and better ball handling though, if he wants to be drafted with any type of guaranteed contract.
"I think he really needs to work on his foot speed on defense and better ball handling though, if he wants to be drafted with any type of guaranteed contract." This is it! I would add.. be able to beat his man off the dribble as well. We've discussed this numerous times on here. I like that players can go through this process and get the feed back they need and get to return to their school. I think Tyler comes back and makes it a point to work on what the experts say. If he can improve then I think he can def move up the boards. NBA does draft on potential and this is condsiderd by some to be a weak draft class, not sure about the next. Either way I wish nothing but the best for Tyler and that he makes the best decision for him. If he does leave, then we def have opportunities for young guys to step up, and they will have too. Also, I know if he does leave some on here turn into Chicken Little and the sky is falling. But I choose to think these young guys may surprise us. Either way...Lets Go 🕷️ 🏀

"I think he really needs to work on his foot speed on defense and better ball handling though, if he wants to be drafted with any type of guaranteed contract." This is it! I would add.. be able to beat his man off the dribble as well. We've discussed this numerous times on here. I like that players can go through this process and get the feed back they need and get to return to their school. I think Tyler comes back and makes it a point to work on what the experts say. If he can improve then I think he can def move up the boards. NBA does draft on potential and this is condsiderd by some to be a weak draft class, not sure about the next. Either way I wish nothing but the best for Tyler and that he makes the best decision for him. If he does leave, then we def have opportunities for young guys to step up, and they will have too. Also, I know if he does leave some on here turn into Chicken Little and the sky is falling. But I choose to think these young guys may surprise us. Either way...Lets Go 🕷️ 🏀
I don't get any sense that chicken little is worried to death about he quality of the young players. But, chicken little is very aware of the history of young teams under the coach who is coming back.

Maybe that's fair, maybe its not. Regardless, if Tyler comes back I'm pretty sure he's going to be the main focus on the scout sheet. Players still have to make plays...I'll go with the old cliche of...the coach doesn't shoot FTs, he doesn't play defense, he doesn't shoot 3s, he doesn't go out and rebound (rebound/defense jokes in 3,2,... 😃 ) I'm too stuck in my ways to believe otherwise. A coach can be blamed and should take some of that blame, but not every single time something bad happens or a player doesn't do something that us Couch Coaches think he/she should. Players play, Coaches coach🤷‍♂️

Maybe that's fair, maybe its not. Regardless, if Tyler comes back I'm pretty sure he's going to be the main focus on the scout sheet. Players still have to make plays...I'll go with the old cliche of...the coach doesn't shoot FTs, he doesn't play defense, he doesn't shoot 3s, he doesn't go out and rebound (rebound/defense jokes in 3,2,... 😃 ) I'm too stuck in my ways to believe otherwise. A coach can be blamed and should take some of that blame, but not every single time something bad happens or a player doesn't do something that us Couch Coaches think he/she should. Players play, Coaches coach🤷‍♂️
Your time and place in life makes it appropriate that you have faith in your son's coach. It would be really nice if that optimism turns out to be on point.

As I stated in another thread, if Mooney can follow-up with more NCAA success, then he deserves his due. If he uses the portal and fields a winning team next year, I'll credit him for it. Time will tell.

One thing that is fact beyond dispute is that Mooney has had a LOT of high caliber players at UR in his tenure. A very large percentage of them have failed to see the floor for an NCAA game. All are free to draw their own conclusions as to why this has occurred.

I've closely watched this coaches decision-making for 17-years. If he wins with a young team (portal could change the dynamics) it will be an anomaly. While very true that players play, there are reasons why some coaches end their career on top, others win at a .500 clip, and still others get fired in year three.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT