ADVERTISEMENT

Buddy Norton

SpiderRick

Graduate Assistant
Oct 11, 2009
I don't know if any of you knew Buddy Norton, but he passed away yesterday after a long battle with brain cancer. Buddy was a captain on the University of Richmond Police Department for many years. Prior to coming to the University, Buddy was a police officer with Henrico County Police, and I worked with him there for years. Buddy was one of the good guys, he was always present on the sidelines at home football and basketball games and greeting everyone. They haven't posted his obit yet, but I will link it when they do.

I lost a good friend, and the school lost a good man.

Rick, I didn't know Buddy nor know of him until today, but I appreciate your posting his story. A man who deserved to be remembered by our university community.

Wow...what a loss. He was assistant chief until very recently and had served as interim chief a couple of years ago after Bob Dillard retired. Met him briefly when I was there, and seemed like I great guy and I always heard terrific things about him.

Rick: Thanks for the posting. Sorry for the loss, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends in this time of loss. I was introduced to Buddy by a mutual friend who was retired from Hanover, he spoke vey highly of Buddy. My feelings were the same after speaking with him.

Here's the obit. The funeral will be at Cannon Memorial Chapel. Buddy requested everyone wear Spider red. Buddy was a big time Spider.

This post was edited on 9/20 7:05 AM by SpiderRick

Buddy

I can not think of a finer person who I met during my tenure at UR, or in my life. Buddy was a gentleman, a shepherd, and a loyal friend and Spider. I had a half-dozen talks with him before and after my dad was taken by cancer. When he learned that I had lost my dad, my best friend, and another friend of Buddy's, his spontaneous tears, and the hug he gave me, they won't be forgotten. I really wish I read this "Off Topic" board more often, I genuinely regret not having been able to attend his service. God Bless Buddy, and uplift his family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT